Need some encouragement! please help!

Options
I have only been doing this since saturday and i know that you arent suppose to weigh in everyday (i seem yo be obsessed when dieting) im going to the gym and working out 2 hrs on sat and sun plus weight training on sunday then monday was rest and yesterday anther hour and weights the scale went down 2 pounds on sunday when i got on but hasnt moved since then:sad: am i doing something wrong? i feel like giving up but really cant afford to. any advice please:explode:

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    you don't need to weigh in everyday, i weigh myself once a week, you can do it as often as you are comfortable :flowerforyou:
  • ogolindaq
    ogolindaq Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm on my 3rd or 4th round of loosing more than 30# so I can give you some help. If you are "dieting" be sure you are doing it correctly. By that I mean look at the information about food groups and portions. Eat healthy not some fad. Also, you may be exercising too much to start. If not, give yourself more time. When I loose, I loose about 3 pounds at once and then maintain that until the next drop. Also, are you drinking the water? That is important especially when you are exercising. You need more water then. Just hang in there and keep reminding yourself what you really want and I'll be that is to feel good and look good. I hope this has been some help.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Don't be so concerned with the number on the scale. Take measurements. Also, weighing in too often can be very discouraging. It's best to do it once every week so, first thing in the morning. My weight fluctuates so much day to day that I was driving myself nuts. I actually don't even own a scale anymore. I've only lost about 6 lbs since I started this last month, but my jeans keep getting baggier :smile: Hope that helps :drinker:

exercise.png
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do not get discouraged. The weight will fluctuate. You should only weigh once a week. Weighing every day will fusturate you. I was weighing everyday and my weight went up 6lbs!! Then it went down plus 2 more lbs. 5 days later. Don't give up!!! It's gonna take some time.
  • ecrb77
    ecrb77 Posts: 78
    Options
    My doctor told me to make sure to eat 5 servings of fruits AND 5 servings of vegetables a day. It seems daunting but if you focus on that, you won't be tempted to eat other foods. Just remember, you're going to a long term weight loss, not a quick fix- it's going to take time and be difficult. But nothing worth having ever comes easy!

Gooc luck!:wink:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    weigh in once a week, as you said.
  • jensocalgirl
    Options
    Hey there. When I increase my workouts (especially when I start training for a marathon again) I incorporate soooo much more strength training for my muscles. The first month I always "gain" 3 pounds but my inches on my body always decrease. Around month 2 I notice the weight drop. Stick with it... your body is adjusting to the workouts and change in lifestyle.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You really can't weigh yourself every day because weight can fluctuate on a daily basis. Every 2 weeks or even every month will give you a better idea. You've only been doing this a few days. :)
  • simsusan
    simsusan Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi TheWay,

Like yourself, i started my diet about a week ago. And I can tell you that weighing yourself everyday will only discourage you. I think we should check once a week like they suggest. Also, if you are exercising so much, you do not have to worry about your weigh as muscles weigh 6 times more than fat so you are getting leaner even though the pounds aren't dropping.

Remember to just hang in there. Don't give up.
  • TheWayIUsed2Be
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice.....Susan i will not weigh in tomorrow or friday my one week will be sat so i will weigh in then post my results....

can i ask also, how many of you eat your exercise calories an what are your thoughts on it?

Also, is anyone here doing any special diet that is working for them other than just sticking to the amount of calories set?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    ok here's some- even the most aggressive amount our site advises is 2 lbs /week. and in just a couple days, you aleady got there.

give yourself some credit- 2 lbs already is GREAT.

if the scale doesn't encourage you, weigh less often. but understand you are already doing awesome!!!!!!!!so BUCK UP!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    thoughts on exercise calories- I do, many of our most successful members do, see this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

says it all!! it is a long thread, but well worth the read to learn a LOT!
  • TheWayIUsed2Be
    Options
    WELL iv hardly eaten my exercise calories...i guess i figure i worked my butt off to burn them why eat them....dont get me wrong i eat some but not even close to half.....And thanks for the sweet words on the 2 pounds....i guess if i didnt weigh myself the first day and hadnt seen it til the end of the week id be happy....

Also anyone have any thoughts on the best way to tighten your legs? ever since i can remember i have cellulite i cant get rid of ....even when skinny! someone told me there is no way to get rid of that is that true? even with walking and a bunch of weights for the legs?

And i put my activity level at the one that says mostly standing.....i work for an airline in las vegas...there is days where im running my butt off and dont get to stop and days that are slow where i just stand t my gate til i board my flight.....do you think the level i choose was correct? opinions please :smile:
  • ogolindaq
    ogolindaq Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As far as the cellulite there is a product from Arbonne Skin Care company that will help. It has a 45 day guarantee so if you aren't happy with the results you can return it. The website is www.arbonne.com and you can use my consultant number 16079256 if you choose to order it. (You have to have the consultant order to order. Let me know if you do and how it works, I haven't tried it myself although I've tried almost everything else and I use some of the diet products too. I've lost 5.5 pounds since July 4th on the 1200 calorie diet. A note: don't exercise too much or eat too little, everything in moderation works best. Hope this helps!
  • TheWayIUsed2Be
    Options
    Thank you for the product recommendation. if i can lose another 27 pounds ill buy it as a reward for myself!
  • osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and I don't find it discouraging, more interesting. If you want to weigh every day, do. However, I'd recommend recording your daily weights and you will see how your body fluctuates. I always seem to have sudden drops, then nothing for a while. Not what you expect would be happening, but it's been 6 months now and I can see that this is how my body works. For me the daily weighing keeps me focussed on my goals and doesn't let me "hide" from my bad choices. I spent a long time ignoring the scales and that is why I ended up as large as I did - so for me, the scales are my friend.
  • TheWayIUsed2Be
    Options
    That is the way i think too....that weighing is going to help me stay on track. I noticed that monday is the start date when everything resets for exercise and what not. I started saturday but I think im going to weigh myself on monday (tomorrow) to make that the beginning of my week. Since i weighed in almost everyday this last week, this week i will weigh in monday then wait a week to see how i feel. if i notice its easier for me to weigh in everyday to stay on track then i will.

i feel i have a lot of stress in my life which is tough when trying to lose weight. does anyone take anything or do anything that helps them with stress? mine is relationship stress mostly! :grumble:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Yoga is a great way to release stress. The deep breathing combined with the stretching really helps me. I find it relieves any anxiety I might be feeling. I have a beginner dvd by Yoga Zone and I love it. Sometimes I do it on rest days just to loosen up after working out all week :happy:

exercise.png
  • twotongal
    twotongal Posts: 12
    Options
    Legs and behind will fall off on your house stairs.

I did one hour of up and down my house stairs slow mind you resting every up and every down, the 1st month, I only did 18 days of it and quit just stayed with calorie count and morning walk.

The next month a friend told me my diet is fab as my view from behind makes me a new person, my behind and upper legs shrunk just from 18 days of stairs.

I picked it back up, and now months later my legs are slim my behind bony little to work on, on the inside, thighs but into thigh highs now with no over hang on top and no roll down.

I did in house as I looked at myself as too fat to do it in a gym, here to find they are free and work.
    Now i add bridges and large hills to my walk 3 times a week, and my house stairs I do daily.
    My behind looks great as the pounds fell off, and the firmness came in with ease and comfort.
    When I hit plateaus of inches not moving I change the routine, add arm weights to housework, add a brick to my water pack, something to add to the regular workout change it up so the body never knows what we are doing.
    I don't weigh in but once a month, I do tape measure weekly, inches don't lie (nether does squeem suit the little so in so)
    Stick with it, your worth a healthy happy life.

TTG

Think better faster and I will simply be better all around.

TTG
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    you have some great questions---being open minded to new ideas is a great asset to you in this weight loss journey--also, think of this as a new way of life, not just a temporary diet.

I weigh myself twice a day under identical circumstances wearing exactly the same thing (my nightshirt)---I record the weight and it keeps me focused. I don't get excited at ups and downs but I can see trends and plateaus. I don't record a new weight on MFP until I've been there for a few days. It works for me. You'll have to find what works for you. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I have been using a program called Isagenix for about three months and I have continued to lose weight. The food I eat is real food that is nutrition dense (no empty calories, no artificial sweeteners). I eat some of my exercise calories but not all of them.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: