FACT or CRAP

Options
I've heard a cup of black coffee will jump start your metabolism in the morning or before a workout to help you burn more calories . . . fact or crap? and why?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Caffeine will give you a temporary energy boost, so that could help you get up and do more, but coffee isn't really a metabolism booster.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It factual to the extent that eating or drinking pretty much anything has the effect of "boosting" metabolism through thermogenesis (a fancy term for processing food intake to produce energy and heat)

Also the caffeine may raise your physical activity, both through exercise and non exercise related activities by a small amount.

Really the benefit is minimal and so if you don't really like black coffee or want to allocate the calories to something you do like then just do that.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Agree with both of these. Nothing more to add.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Coffee isn't magic :( Black or otherwise. Although caffeine can feel pretty magical sometimes.

Not a metabolism booster aside from just increasing your perkiness and making it more likely you'll get your butt out of bed and to the gym/office/whathaveyou.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Actually, caffeine is a mild thermogenic so it will give a (very small) boost. Realistically, this won't make a noticeable difference unless you body fat percentage is already very low.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I had a dead metobolism and a bum thyroid (amoung other issues) I drink coffee daily.. Did NOTHING for my metobolism..
    So I'd say its false..
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Metabolism booster or not, I'm not giving up my 4 cups a day! :)
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Caffeine gives me a big energy boost... So much so that the first time I used it before a run I accidentally ran FAR beyond what my body had adequate fuel to sustain. When the caffeine was gone I had a movie worthy crash/hit the wall and literally crawled home with my head as far between my knees =p My glycogen was GONE and I hadn't felt it up til that point.

So, be careful! If caffeine has a big effect on you, make sure you fuel your body with actual calories and carbs!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I've heard a cup of black coffee will jump start your metabolism in the morning or before a workout to help you burn more calories . . . fact or crap? and why?

Both. Caffeine will give you a bit of a boost. (I know I burn more calories after a lot of caffeine!) But black coffee is not going to help you any more than coffee with cream and sugar. In fact, the sugar may even give you more of an initial spurt of energy than black coffee would! LOL.
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    From a Men's Fitness magazine, there has been a link to show that drinking caffeine an hour before a workout will help you go farther. It is believed that caffeine helps reduce the pain levels to allow yourself to push farther.
  • chardondave
    Options
    It factual to the extent that eating or drinking pretty much anything has the effect of "boosting" metabolism through thermogenesis (a fancy term for processing food intake to produce energy and heat)

Also the caffeine may raise your physical activity, both through exercise and non exercise related activities by a small amount.

Really the benefit is minimal and so if you don't really like black coffee or want to allocate the calories to something you do like then just do that.

I agree with the above statement.

Be VERY careful about how you incorporate "metabolism boosting" advice into your diet. If it doesnt cost you anything in terms of calories (green tea, cayenne pepper) then go for it. The effects will be so small as to be almost unnoticeable, but over time could help you shed a few extra ounces. Dont use it as an excuse to increase you daily caloric intake.

Caffeine itself can give you a boost of energy - IF and only if you are not simply using it to chase caffeine withdrawal symptoms, in which case it's just bringing you back up to "normal" - and has been found to allow muscles to do slightly "more work".