Starting new diet plan-need help.

Options
I am starting the Six Week Body Challenge Makeover diet today. According to the rules and what my friend says about it (she's done it before, successfully.) I need to eat every 1.5-3 hours to keep my metabolism up.

Well, also, according to what she and the book says-I will be eating like this, everyday, for about a month.

Breakfast:
1 cup oatmeal (plain)
2 eggwhites

Snack:
Fruit Cup

Lunch:
Chicken or Fish (baked or grilled)
Plain baked potato

Snack:
Fruit Cup

Dinner:
Chicken or Fish
Plain baked potato

That's it. I can handle that. There are more options of what I can eat but I am not adding them in, yet. This daily meal plan comes to 600 calories per day. That doesn't seem like enough. Since I'm going by a diet plan and seeing her results from doing same diet...I assume its okay?

I Zumba at least 4 days a week and drink nothing but water most days.

Just curious if this sounds healhty? I'm not a big eater. I am a picky eater, don't eat a lot when I do eat and really only eat like 3 meals a day so the snacking is going to be something I have to get used to.

Any advice will be appreciated! :)

Thanks!
KK

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    600 calories a day? really? I'd be dead on that plan.. and exercise? forget it. Seems very low to me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This is not healthy. (generally anorexics eat 500 a day) do you have an eating disorder?

It takes close to five hundred calories a day just to fuel BRAIN function, not to mention your vital organs.

Eating below your BMR can actually be counter productive to weight loss.

Any weight you lose will likely be MUSCLE and then fat. (hello skinny fat!)

The less muscle you have the less your body burns throughout the day. (this lowers your BMR)

This brings me to my last two points-

1.) there is no advantage in metabolism for eating every 2-3 hours other than you may be less hungry throughout the day.

2.) this is not a sustainable change. (I.E. you will likely gain the weight back when you go back to eating normally, PLUS some because your BMR will be lower)

This is dangerous, stupid, and a TERRIBLE idea. Please reconsider!

Edit: also, on a side note I am 5'4 and weigh 112. I eat 1550 calories PLUS any calories burned with exercise. (just to put things in perspective here!)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Without knowing the measurements of the chicken, etc., it is tough to say what the exact calorie allotment is.

I can tell you though that just 1 cup of oatmeal is 300 calories, so I can't imagine the whole day is 600.

600 is not enough for any person to sustain.

I'd seriously rethink it. And the whole "you have to eat every 2 hours" myth has been debunked many, many, times. It simply isn't true or detrimental to weight loss.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat the diet plan but tweak it so its at least 1200 cals
  • kk0223
    kk0223 Posts: 179
    Options
    I suppose that's all I needed to hear! I didn't think it sounded healthy.

No, I don't have a eating disorder! lol I eat perferctly fine but in my own experiece...carbs are my enemy. I have PCOS and gain like crazy when I eat carbs. So, I'm trying to stay away from carbs. But, that diet means I'd have to eat carbs with one meal a day. I guess thats not TOO bad. But, still.

I guess I'm going to stick to my all protein diet and work out.

Thanks SO much!
  • kk0223
    Options
    I eat 1 package of plain oatmeal. I searched the database and it says it's only like 150 calories. No butter, sugar, milk, etc added what-so-ever.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    There is alot more to it than that. I did it a couple of years ago and it works. You have to eat more that that. Read his books thoroughly. Eat 6 small meals a day.
  • kk0223
    Options
    Without knowing the measurements of the chicken, etc., it is tough to say what the exact calorie allotment is.

I can tell you though that just 1 cup of oatmeal is 300 calories, so I can't imagine the whole day is 600.

600 is not enough for any person to sustain.

I'd seriously rethink it. And the whole "you have to eat every 2 hours" myth has been debunked many, many, times. It simply isn't true or detrimental to weight loss.

And, the recommended 3-4 ounces of meat per meal or so I've been told. So, about 4 oz of chicken. Baked with just seasonings on it.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    NOT ENOUGH CALORIES
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Respectfully, and since you asked for an opinion... and having just read your update... I'm SO GLAD you aren't going to do that diet.

As a general rule it's a better idea to eat plenty and lose for GOOD. =) Wise choice.
    One thing I noticed when I was doing a low calorie diet was that my injuries were not healing properly....
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    600 calories a day is definitely not a good way to go. MFP already calculates your deficit to lose weight - why not just do that? No sense trying to fix what isn't broken.

Also, having to eat every 2-3 hours to "keep your metabolism going" is a myth. Meal timing should only be according to your preference - I tend to feel more satisfied from larger, less frequent meals, but do what works best for you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Two words......unhealthy & unsustainable.

Go for a plan that results in changes that you can live with for the rest of your life & the 6 meals a day boosting your metabolism is nonsense (it does help maintain more even blood sugar levels - fewer spikes & dips, but there's not proven benefit to that either).

Any diet that is less than 1,000 calories per day should only be done so under close medical supervision.

Here's a link to an article you should read.........

http://www.livestrong.com/article/70221-effects-consuming-fewer-calories-daily/
  • kk0223
    Options
    There is alot more to it than that. I did it a couple of years ago and it works. You have to eat more that that. Read his books thoroughly. Eat 6 small meals a day.

I have the book. Just got it from my friend yesterday. I haven't read it. I am going by how she does it. I am going to read it this weekend though. Thanks! :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 package of plain oatmeal. I searched the database and it says it's only like 150 calories. No butter, sugar, milk, etc added what-so-ever.

If you have problems with carbs why not try some low fat plain Greek yogurt. (High in protein and most of the ones that come with fruit are 140 calories)?
  • kk0223
    Options
    Two words......unhealthy & unsustainable.

Go for a plan that results in changes that you can live with for the rest of your life & the 6 meals a day boosting your metabolism is nonsense (it does help maintain more even blood sugar levels - fewer spikes & dips, but there's not proven benefit to that either).

Any diet that is less than 1,000 calories per day should only be done so under close medical supervision.

Here's a link to an article you should read.........

http://www.livestrong.com/article/70221-effects-consuming-fewer-calories-daily/

Thanks. I'm looking at site now.
  • kk0223
    Options

If you have problems with carbs why not try some low fat plain Greek yogurt. (High in protein and most of the ones that come with fruit are 140 calories)?

I have tried it before but never did buy it again. I'm not real big on yogurt. My thing is-if I see it has a lot of carbs. I'll put it back on the shelf. Should I just look at the protein and ingore the carbs? Idk. I'm obviously not doing something right! :(
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. You may lose initially but not long term. And you can't live that way for the rest of your life. You need to find a healthy life style way of eating. Eating less now but enough to sustain yourself and a plan that can carry you througt to mainteance. Try adding a salad at lunch and dinner and/or some veggies. Increase the amount of your protein at all three meals (may whole eggs instead of egg whites and an extra ounce or two of chicken or fish at lunch and dinner). Take care of yourself, please.
  • dvk422
    Options
    600 calories a day is crazy! Most programs recommend about 1200 calories a day for an average loss of 1 lb to 2 lbs per week.
    This is not healthy. Your body will go into starvation mode and actually start burning muscle instead of fat.
    A much better way is a juice fast. Have you heard of the documentary "Fat, sick and nearly dead"? I have being doing a modified version of it for 6 weeks and lost 7 lbs. The guy who does it lost 82 lbs in 60 days and cured himself of an autoimmune disease that had him on 11 pills a day.

If you have netflix, you can stream the documentary. If not you can watch it for free on hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead

It is well work your time.
    Good luck!
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I suppose that's all I needed to hear! I didn't think it sounded healthy.

No, I don't have a eating disorder! lol I eat perferctly fine but in my own experiece...carbs are my enemy. I have PCOS and gain like crazy when I eat carbs. So, I'm trying to stay away from carbs. But, that diet means I'd have to eat carbs with one meal a day. I guess thats not TOO bad. But, still.

I guess I'm going to stick to my all protein diet and work out.

Thanks SO much!

If carbs are your enemy, this entire diet is wrong for you. Each and every meal is carbs. Oatmeal, fruit, baked potato twice per day??? All carbs. I also wouldn't suggest to anyone to eat 2 baked potatoes per day. Maybe other veggies, but not potatoes.

I agree with the others. It's more than 600 calories, but probably not enough.

There isn't anyhting to this diet that sounds right for you.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    On 500 caloies a day you will lose weight alright and it will all be muscle mass. your body will store all the fat you have and your body will catbolize your muscle to survive.