Emotional Eating

Options
Hi guys
Sorry if this question has been asked recently but I haven't been on the boards for a while.
I am really struggling with this at the mo. I know I'm doing it, and with the help of a good therapist I understand why I am doing it but I just can't figure out how to stop doing it!
I have feelings, thoughts, memories that I try to bury under a mountain of food. On a bad day feeling the discomfort of being stuffed is better than feeling anything else.
So my question to you is what can I do to try and break this pattern? Have you had a similar problem and if so how did you/are you coping with it?
I am still exercising regularily but the good work I am doing there is being undermined by this monkey on my back.

Replies

• mickyjg
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help you with that yet but just wanted you to know you are not alone :smile:

I've been an emotional eater all of my life for differing reasons, most recently the death of my mother last september. I am still trying to figure things out but this seems to be a great place to get help and support

Good Luck and please add me as friend if you'd like

Micky
    xxx
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile:

I have struggled with emotional eating most of my life.

Firstly admitting that you are an emotional eater (i know it sounds cheesey) does help to overcoming or controlling it!
    I used to eat midlessly whenever i was bored, sad, happy, lonely... every emotion really!
    I found that identifying the triggers helped me to control times when i over ate. If i felt like eating i stopped and ask myself
    'Am i actually hungry'? - most of the time it was a no.

Whenever you feel like eating from emotional hunger drink a LARGE glass of water first. Then if you still feel like eating (even though you're not hungry) do something to keep your mind busy eg, go for a walk (walking my dog does it for me)
    What hobbies do you like to do? Drawing, sports, cooking a meal that takes a while to prepare even.
    Eat something Healthy like veg sticks or a piece of fruit.
    Finding out why you're are over eating... it's always an underlying emotional issue, so finding out why will help you to deal with the problem.

Little steps and over time you will be able to control emotional eating! :happy:
  • westwick1
    westwick1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you, it's good to know I'm not the only one xx
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yup - I can slam down the chocolate when the stress is on. I've tried to break down what's really bugging me and dealing with that instead of "eating it out. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I don't have a solution either. I too have dealt with it my entire life. As of now the best I can do is try and distract myself clean, read, organize something. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't....
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Emotional Eating is a huge hinderance on this weight loss journey. Sometimes I feel like I have attacks of eating "tornadoes" Something just comes over me and I eat anything in sight. I am not normal. Instead of saying "hey you pissed me off." or "that hurt my feelings," I go home and stuff all those feelings down my throat with pizza, cookies, and anything else that will "comfort" me. When the dust settles or in this case the crumbs fall :grumble: I take a look at all I have eaten and instead of feeling "comforted," now I am disgusted. And the never-ending cycle continues.

As another poster said I think that realizing that this is an issue for you is a HUGE step in attacking the problem. My whole life I have been stuffing my feelings down my throat, which is why I had an extra 200 pounds of "comfort" I was carrying around. However, knowing this about yourself is not going to SOLVE your problem. If it were that easy I have the cure for drug addicts and alcoholics!! I don't think it will ever be over. It is just a coping mechanism that you have adopted. Try replacing it with another. I know it sounds absurd but replace it with exercise. When I use to read that, I would laugh. How could getting all sweaty and out of breath make me feel better than a double cheeseburger?? :noway: I thought that is just crazy talk!! However, get this...the eating makes you feel better while you are doing it, but how do you feel after? After a good workout your body is shooting with endorphines and you feel so much better. It isn't going to be easy to train yourself to turn to another method. It took me 2 years!! But give it a try!

Another thing don't have triggers available. Nothing crappy in the house!!

Finally, the root of this (at least for me and maybe for you as well) is because I am not facing my emotions! Do that. Face them head on. Learn how to express yourself.

I hope you beat this :wink:
  • westwick1
    westwick1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks hope, what you've written makes a lot of sense x