Avocados

Options
I had an avocado for lunch....250 CALORIES!!!! HOLY CRAP!!! I love these things! Why do they have so many freaking calories?! 250 is a lot for a 1200 calorie diet. I'm going to go over today :grumble:

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    guess this was a pretty pointless post....
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine. :) They're full of healthy fat, iron, magnesium, a lot of B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, and potassium. Yes, they're high in calories, but they're so good for you!
  • ieishab
    ieishab Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Avocados are yummy. I eat half in a sitting. Are you excercising?....if so you can burn some of the 250 calories back!!!
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I KNOW!!! I'm so disappointed because before June of last year when I joined MFP I had eaten avacados almost every day and now I barely eat them at all and I hate that because they are one of my fave foods.

I would say just cut it up for sandwiches and salads but don't eat the entire thing in one sitting like I had once or it will surely gang up on you. I did see on Dr. Oz this week that avocados do help reduce belly fat and curb hunger. THOSE are your benefits...if you go over your calorie count just work out a little bit. No harm in that.
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love avacados toooo! :) What sucks is you cant really just eat half though; the other half gets all brown if you try and save it. I guess I could just scrape the surface off...
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Everything is about balance. I can think of ALOT of things that I would eat before that were 250 calories. And an avocado is a way better choice than any of those things. I eat half and save the other half for the next day or give it to my hubby. I love them and will not give them up.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    haha, I think avocados are actually awesome, only 250 calories for something so incredibly filling and tasty, with minerals, vitamins, yummy fat, and fiber? How do you top that?

but I'm also not crazy enough to try and restrict myself to 1200 calories a day so its a lot easier to work it into my day.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a 1/4 avocado almost everyday for a year now. This way I get to enjoy myself, but cut down on the calories by only have 1/4.
  • monicaroozo
    Options
    I've eaten a 1/4 avocado almost everyday for a year now. This way I get to enjoy myself, but cut down on the calories by only have 1/4.

How do you keep the rest from it from browning? Just air tight container, cellophane and some lime juice?
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yep, 1/4 avocado all tlhe time (up to half a day). 1/4 in salad . . . then 1/4 later in sandwich . . . Avocado is a butter substitute, so great on a baked potatoe. All delish things in moderation.

And yes, I store the balance in tupperware and squirt lemon juice on it. It does brown a tad but it is still good.
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat one almost every day. :tongue:
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. I'm on the low low end of the calorie scale as well. Avocados are so good for you don't even think twice if you go over your caloric intake for the day. When they are perfect, I'll sometimes have two a day. A dear friend of mine is following this book "Clean" by Alejandro Junger. I think it's like the militant version of Tosca Reno's Eat Clean books. But based on what it teaches she is eating a TON of avocados. She's dropped like 50 pounds in three months.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Avocados are sooo good and they're good for you! On vacation in Hawaii recently, I got big huge giant avocados and ate 1/2 of it in one sitting..no dinner that night. I was full until the next morning. I wish we got those here (or the TSA let me bring them on the plane..) Anyways, don't sweat it!
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just eat a whole avocado lol. Its so good. I eat 400calorie avocado per day. on 1600 net diet.
  • momotivation
    momotivation Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    avocados are great, and you should like and enjoy what you eat its just a matter of balance. Keep it up, I think I will try to add it to my menu!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I love avacados toooo! :) What sucks is you cant really just eat half though; the other half gets all brown if you try and save it. I guess I could just scrape the surface off...
    THIS!!! I can't JUST eat half! I need to eat the whole thing! lol
  • EricaHasJoy
    Options
    Mmmm yummmm I love avocados! Lol Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it! They're great for you. You'll be just fine
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    As long as you leave the seed in the half that you are saving it doesn't really go brown by the next day.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I ate a whole one yesterday on top of my salad for dinner to knock out some extra cals. I love avocado.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Options
    What do u eat them with? I eat like a slice or 2 with puerto rican rice with a little salt sprinkled over top of the avocado and thats really yummy. But I'm open to new recipes, just wondering.