Feet falling asleep while running

Options
I've recently started running again for the first in in 5 years (4 years post-knee-surgery, 2 1/2 years post-baby) and I'm having a recurring problem where my feet start falling asleep around the 1.75 mile mark. I'm running on sand to reduce the impact on my knees (which are both fairly grumpy about all this working out) and I'm using Superfeet's Berry insoles due to the arch-spasms I was having (I have high arches) and they help with the cramping, but not the numbness.
I've tried window-lacing my shoes and keeping them so loose that the shoes barely stay where I need them to, but to no avail. I can't go past the 2.5 mile mark without losing all feeling in my feet with the numbness even climbing up my left leg some too. I should also mention that I am very aware of my feet's positioning while I run and am good at making sure they are hitting the ground straight and evenly (and I can see the proof when I run back over my footprints in the sand).
Any ideas? I've got an appointment with an ortho doc for my shoulder injury this Friday and I'm wondering if I should bring this issue up to him or not...

Replies

• anta1
    anta1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Maybe your shoes are too tight? Just a thought.....
  • rebecca_d35
    Options
    Is it possible the sand is to blame? Sand is softer but also provides a much more irregular surface than, say, asphalt. When I run on the beach I always end up running along the shore where the sand is firmer because it otherwise makes my feet feel weird. And then I end up running on a slope, which also isn't great.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Since you mentioned that your already watching your shoe lace tightness, I have to wonder if it isn't the sand, too. The range of motion your foot goes through running in sand is much greater than it would be running on asphalt and it's possible that it's just too much for your feet. Have you tried running on a more firm surface to see if there's a difference?
  • neekz0r
    neekz0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My first thought: "See your doctor".
  • SkinnyShadow
    SkinnyShadow Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This never happened to me while running, but my toes always go numb when I'm doing the stairmaster etc. Always. Not sure why... but I think it has something to do with the constant pressure on a specific part of your foot. I talked to my Dr about it and he asked "do your toes turn blue?" I said no.. "does the blood flow go away after you stop?" I said yes... and so he said I have nothing to worry about :/ So I don't worry about it lol, I just consider it something annoying.
  • SkinnyShadow
    SkinnyShadow Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This never happened to me while running, but my toes always go numb when I'm doing the stairmaster etc. Always. Not sure why... but I think it has something to do with the constant pressure on a specific part of your foot. I talked to my Dr about it and he asked "do your toes turn blue?" I said no.. "does the blood flow go away after you stop?" I said yes... and so he said I have nothing to worry about :/ So I don't worry about it lol, I just consider it something annoying.
    *blood flow come back lol
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I also think the sand is to blame. It's a pretty stressful surface for doing all of your runs on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the more extreme angles your foot is subjected to is to blame. I would get onto a good track or asphalt surface and see if that helps. It might make your knees happier as well since they will be able to count on a consistent and steady landing.
  • inzillah
    Options
    Is it possible the sand is to blame? Sand is softer but also provides a much more irregular surface than, say, asphalt. When I run on the beach I always end up running along the shore where the sand is firmer because it otherwise makes my feet feel weird. And then I end up running on a slope, which also isn't great.

Yeah, I run near the shore so it's not terribly irregular in terms of the landing because it's decently packed, but I definitely have less knee pain there than when I run on concrete which I think is because of the impact protection. But you're right, it is at an angle that way, so I wonder if that could be it... I guess I should try an even surface again and see if it helps. (I've been doing beach running almost exclusively since I re-started this because the area I live in is really hilly and I was too out of shape to make it very far, but that was 2 months ago so maybe it won't be as bad this time.)

Yesterday I took my shoes off after it happened and the feeling did come back pretty quickly, but I'm not sure how exactly I should proceed when my shoes are laced as loosely as they can get without falling off. If the shoes are to blame then what? Barefoot running?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If the shoes are to blame then what? Barefoot running?
    If you're running on the sand, why not? I probably would. No sand in my area, though, except the kind populated with cacti.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Have you tried those new "barefoot" running shoes? I wonder if that would make a difference?
  • bunnyboocakes
    Options
    Same thing happens to me when I do Zumba, body combat etc. It is very annoying. my old run down sneakers I never have a problem with. I have tried several different style of sneakers and inserts and it keeps happening. It is a mystery to me. I think it has to do with the shoes but what?????
  • rebecca_d35
    Options
    I love running barefoot in the sand, but my ankles and feet hurt after a bit. By the way, you are SO lucky to live in Santa Barbara. My brother and dad graduated from UCSB and I love that area.

I think you should try running in your neighborhood. I bet you'll be surprised by how much better you feel now than 2 months ago.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Are you doing big strides and landing hard, or smaller more frequent strides.

Like, would turnover be closer to 90 or closer to 60?

One of the benefits of the barefoot or minimalist running is landing flat or slightly forward, and turnover about 90, which forces smaller stride.

You can imitate this just wearing normal shoes too.
  • lulu9663
    lulu9663 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It actually has nothing to do with your shoes, or the sand. I was having this exact problem a few months ago. I was at my chiropractor's office, and happened to mention it, and asked him what he thought it could be. He had me lay face down, and pushed a couple fingers into the outside of my buttcheek. I yelped pretty loud, and he said he knew what it was. Apparently, if you're running and your feet start going numb, it's because there is a muscle in your butt that tightens up, and clamps down on the nerves running to your feet. If you run long enough, the numbness will start creeping up your legs.

He had me get a deep tissue massage on my butt and the numbness went away for a long time. So, every once in awhile, I have to go get another massage. In between, he has me stretch out my butt for a loooong time before running. It's compleyely taken care of the problem. I would put good money on it being what's wrong with you. Hope that helps :)
  • inzillah
    inzillah Posts: 5
    Options
    Are you doing big strides and landing hard, or smaller more frequent strides.

Like, would turnover be closer to 90 or closer to 60?

One of the benefits of the barefoot or minimalist running is landing flat or slightly forward, and turnover about 90, which forces smaller stride.

You can imitate this just wearing normal shoes too.

I'm doing my best to do a mid-foot stride (so much shorter strides) because it forces my posture to be better while I run and since i have a neck injury that I'm still recovering from that's what's most important to me. It got too cold this week to try it barefoot so I ended up on my treadmill last night instead and had the same issue.
    It actually has nothing to do with your shoes, or the sand. I was having this exact problem a few months ago. I was at my chiropractor's office, and happened to mention it, and asked him what he thought it could be. He had me lay face down, and pushed a couple fingers into the outside of my buttcheek. I yelped pretty loud, and he said he knew what it was. Apparently, if you're running and your feet start going numb, it's because there is a muscle in your butt that tightens up, and clamps down on the nerves running to your feet. If you run long enough, the numbness will start creeping up your legs.

He had me get a deep tissue massage on my butt and the numbness went away for a long time. So, every once in awhile, I have to go get another massage. In between, he has me stretch out my butt for a loooong time before running. It's compleyely taken care of the problem. I would put good money on it being what's wrong with you. Hope that helps :)

You know, I wonder if that IS what this is! I usually concentrate on using my butt muscles a lot when I run to help protect my knees from the impact but I wonder if they're getting bunched up somehow... hmmm. How, if I can ask, do you "stretch your butt" though?
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Google "piriformis release" or just "piriformis stretch" to find some good stretches. Wouldn't hurt to hit the glute medius, too.

You mentioned that you have high arches. The arch on my left foot is high and that foot always falls asleep unless I remove the insole and wear the shoe very loose. I chalk it up to a "tall" foot. You might have too much insole in there. I've found that shoes with a gussetted tongue work better since I have to wear the left shoe so darn loose.

Good luck. Won't hurt to keep the piriformis and glute medius happy regardless!
  • inzillah
    Options
    Google "piriformis release" or just "piriformis stretch" to find some good stretches. Wouldn't hurt to hit the glute medius, too.

You mentioned that you have high arches. The arch on my left foot is high and that foot always falls asleep unless I remove the insole and wear the shoe very loose. I chalk it up to a "tall" foot. You might have too much insole in there. I've found that shoes with a gussetted tongue work better since I have to wear the left shoe so darn loose.

Good luck. Won't hurt to keep the piriformis and glute medius happy regardless!

Thank you! When you google "butt muscle stretch" the results can be, er, not what I wanted. Knowing the muscle name really, really helps!

I'm pretty sure this muscle is the issue here, but I'm definitely going to have to ask a doctor next time I'm in. I've been stretching this muscle all weekend and still had the feet fall asleep (right foot is always worse) today at around 1.7 miles. I stopped, took my shoes off, and did about another half mile that way and the feet were still tingly until I basically stopped running. I'm not giving up on the stretching since it seems to make the most sense to me, but it's still rather discouraging to have no clear answer here.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Shoes are to small. You should go get fitted. They are your only feet...take care of them.
  • inzillah
    Options
    Shoes are to small. You should go get fitted. They are your only feet...take care of them.

If that were the case wouldn't the issue be fixed when I take the shoes off to run then? Because I've done that and it doesn't help.
  • lulu9663
    lulu9663 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just saw all the new comments. Lol

It may take awhile to get the muscle to loosen up on your own. I don't really know how long, but I got a 20 minute deep tissue massage on the piriformis muscles(couldn't remember the technical name before...) I would look into that, especially if you have a local massage school, they're pretty good and it's much cheaper.

As a caveat, I would still get your feet checked out, there may be more than one thing collectively causing this.