Hypo Thyroid

Options
Hi my name is Cindy I found this site the end of Jan I have only lost a couple of lbs. I watch what I eat I just can't get past 200 I have heard that with thyrid problems its harder any suggestions would be great I want to be around for along time for my little boy.

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

Have a mooch around the forums and see if you can find others with similar goals or interests as yourself then shoot them a friend request (it can help to include a quick message as to why you would like to be friends) Also, if you have specific interests you can use the search button just above your post to look for things that interest you.Or try searching groups http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups to find people that have the same interests etc. Have seen thyroid threads around so youre far from alone.

You can do this

Good luck
  • eventgal
    Options
    I'm several years older than you, so I have BOTH thyroid and hormone issues to contend with. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to lose weight with these health problems, but it's not impossible -- just IMPOSSIBLY SLOW!!! I have no answers, but I can understand your frustration. Feel free to friend me. I have a goal to lose 25 pounds before my daughter's wedding this fall. Wish me luck!!
  • dsewell40
    dsewell40 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Eventgal....you can do it.
  • Lindapg13
    Options
    I too have Hypo Thyroid as well as being close to menopause with hormones controlling me! I've been logging MFP for about 6 weeks and was able to lose almost 10 lbs; I been stuck at the exact same weight for 3 weeks! I work out to battle my occasional treats but to say weight loss with all this going on is slow is an understatement. I feel my patience may be running out :grumble:
    Has anyone heard anything about iodine therapy?
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    google the iodene project. quite a lot of info on there. hope it helps
  • no_where1976
    no_where1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have no thyroid...had it removed in 2007. I understand the frustration of not being able to lose weight. I have re-focused myself to be more interested in inches than weight. It took me over 3 months to lose 1 lb but I don't let it discourage me anymore! I am fitting into sizes I haven't fit in since my surgery! Here's a website that was extremely beneficial to me www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. Please check it out, there is wonderful information and success stories from many! If you would like to send me a friend request please do! We can encourage each other as we know the battle we are facing and with time can conquer! I wish you the best of luck!
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i too have a thyroid problem and have come off levothyroxine for a while as i was having side effects. i am trying to loose weight by not going too long without eating just a small amount. i try to have a small amount of protein with each meal and my weight is coming off slowly. it has taken about 9 months to loose 27 lbs. my weight loss has slowed down now and it has become difficult but i am determined not to let it beat me and i walk for about 45 mins a day for my exercise to see if i can speed up my metabolism. i cant do more than this as I have arthritis
    good luck you can do it. add me as a friend if you wish
  • zibaluba
    zibaluba Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have hypo too. If you are tested regularly and your levels are normal, it shouldn't be a factor. If you're not sure what your levels are, it's a good idea to get that checked. Then you can consider other possibilities, like eating something you didn't realize was ruining your diet each day (not logging something that seemed stupid to log) or simply going over in calories. Also, make sure to take measurements!! That is so important, because I've lost only 3 lbs in the last month, but I've lost inches around my stomach and hips.

The best thing I could have done for myself was visit a nutritionist regularly and I think anyone who's hitting a plateau should seriously consider it. It makes a huge difference. They not only tell you what to fix in your routine/diet, but they can also point out positive changes that you may not have noticed. :)
  • dmiller0623
    Options
    i have no thyroids i had them removed back in 1994 and i have struggled with my weight ever since, i decided that the number on the scale isn't my top priority, i decided to focus on inches and just toning up what i do have...it's very frustrating thats for sure
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo too. It's a miserable condition to have! But weight loss is not impossible, even without treatment for the hypothyroidism. I managed to lose about 50 pound prior to being treated! It takes careful logging of your food. Measuring and logging everything you eat or drink. And exercise. Exercise can ramp up your metabolism and keep it running when done regularly. I never ate back exercise calories during that time either.

You can and will lose the weight! It's possible!