Office Day Job - Tips on Staying on track

Options
Id like to see if anyone has any advice for me. I work a 9-5 day job sitting down all day (zero calories burning here).. and its very fast paced and super stressful. When i get stressed i tend to eat and snack between meals, i feel like nothing i eat keeps me full enough to get me through the day.
I started the Paleo diet (Caveman Diet, Hunter & gathers diet) on Ash Wednesday (02/22/2012) and i have nuts at work and fruit, but since ive been sick the past 2 days, all i want is comfort food which is a huge NO NO...

Any advice or comments are gladly accepted and tips on how to continue burning calories during the day... i swear i feel like my butt is getting flatter by the minute from all the desk work I do. hehe.

Thanks,
Mari

Replies

• a1wonder
    a1wonder Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Take your breaks and leave the office if you can, go for a 15min walk outside on your coffees or durning your lunch break. If you can't leave the building than leave your cubical walk to the break room.

I try to add in some little cardio by taking the stairs when my hands aren't full, it's not always practical but I try when I can and usally always take the stairs when i'm going down.

Other than that I've been trying to bring fruit, yogurt and apple sauce with me to snack on durning the day, everything I snack on is under 50 cals (or usually is) and usually helps to keep my sugar levels stable and not hit that 2oclock wall.

Also visiting mfp from work helps keep me honest
  • jjstaten
    jjstaten Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    drink ice cold water all day. Your body will burn calories to warm it up.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Water! I have the same type of job and I drink about 10 glasses of water during the day.. plus lots of bathroom breaks means more walking LOL
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    drink ice cold water all day. Your body will burn calories to warm it up.
    I just read something about this yesterday.

Water in general will be helpful, especially if you are prone to snacking. Try drinking a glass of water with each snack.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Gum!! I sit all day and I would never stop eating if I didn't chew gum.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think the cold water thing is totally silly.

But, water itself will help make you feel full.

Just don't snack, and take your lunch to work. I don't know what else to say. When people say, "How do I lose weight like you", I say, "Diet and Exercise. There's no easy way." Stop snacking.
  • belladonna_3k
    Options
    Yep.. water all day long in my 20 oz. sippy jug. Snacks between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner... hummus with wheat crackers, fruit, raw veggies, half a bagel with natural peanut butter, etc... something healthy but filling. It was difficult at first (I have an office/desk job as well) to not have a bag of chips or box of cookies to just keep dipping into BUT, the biggest change I made was making sure I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ate a good, big filling (healthy) breakfast, and had a filling, healthy lunch. Once you get into the routine of that, your body teaches itself to only want/need what you give it, and not what you feel like continuously munching on (usually junk lol). Best of luck!
  • cakuni
    cakuni Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a sit down job as well. I pack my breakfast, lunch and snacks for the day for myself.

Make sure you have some protein with every meal and snack. It helps you to feel fuller. Nuts are good too, just be careful with the portion size.

I've done carrots with those little hummus cups. I use yogurt smoothies as snacks as well. Sometimes though just snacking on the carrots or some fruit helps me out a lot. I've also heard that apples and peanut butter is good too, though I have yet to try it.

Is there a particular kind of craving you are getting between meals? Maybe you can pack yourself a healthier alternative, or at least something less calories than what you find in office vending machines.

Good luck!

-Christine
  • sciencenerd2011
    Options
    * Don't stop healthy snacking! By the time you get to the next meal, you will be starving and end up eating more.
    * When taking bathroom breaks after all that water you drank, take the stairs to a bathroom on a different floor.
    * Park farther away, or get off a stop early if you ride the bus.
    * One of my friends and my sister uses a balance ball instead of a regular office chair so they are working at their core all day.