1/2 marathoners & marathoners- how's your training going?

Options
Hey! I know there are a few of us out there that are training for a 1/2 marathon/marathon in the next few weeks/months. Just wanted to see how your training is going. I'm about 7 weeks out and up to 8.5 miles. I have my first 8k race this weekend to get familiar with a longer race.

Where are you at? How are you feeling!?

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    *small tears*
    i will admit i am NOT doing as good as i should be doing!! March 10th i am doing a 10M'r =\
  • cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I need to get some outdoor running in....I got a half marathon coming up March 18...yikes!
  • alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of my 4th week (12 week program) of training for half marathon and i'm running as far as 5 miles, and my speed is steadily increasing.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

So, I'm new to MyFitnessPal and hope it's okay that I'm jumping in on this. I've got my 4th HM coming up in about 3 weeks. I'm not looking for a PR but excited about a chance to race. I decided to only train to about 10 miles on my GP Runs. I've been fighting shin splints, so track work is at a minimum right now. But, the roads have been beautiful, so I'm happy so far.

Good luck to all y'all. I look forward to hearing about your races.

Melissa
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

So, I'm new to MyFitnessPal and hope it's okay that I'm jumping in on this. I've got my 4th HM coming up in about 3 weeks. I'm not looking for a PR but excited about a chance to race. I decided to only train to about 10 miles on my GP Runs. I've been fighting shin splints, so track work is at a minimum right now. But, the roads have been beautiful, so I'm happy so far.

Good luck to all y'all. I look forward to hearing about your races.

Melissa
    Hi Melissa, and welcome!!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    New York marathon in November, I've got my game plan, just to early to implement.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I havent picked my race yet, but I am at 10 miles now
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 miler on April 1st and a challenge (twilight 5k then morning half) on May 5/6. I have 7 mile long run this weekend. I'm not as prepared as I would like to be but I was a complete bum this winter so I can't really complain.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My plan is the half in San Diego in June.

I might also do the half at Disney in Sept.

Then, the full in my hometown of Long Beach, CA in November.

Training is going awesome so far. I had to modify my program a little due to my schedule, but I'm on track for my first 1/2.
  • kcksmo
    kcksmo Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm signed up for Nashville Rock N Roll 1/2 April 28th... and I'm pumped. This is my first, so hopefully I don't fall over. This week's long run in my training is 6.5 miles.

Honestly some days running seems easy then others my legs feel 1 million pounds. Hopefully APR 28 is a easy day... lol ya right.

good luck everyone!!!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 1/2 Hal Higdon program for the GO! in April.
    End of week 6 with a 5K race on Saturday. Next week long run is 7 miles!
    Feeling great on the 4mi runs, the last 6mi was rough, but I wasn't properly fueled or hydrated.
    Almost half way down!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for Nashville Rock N Roll 1/2 April 28th... and I'm pumped. This is my first, so hopefully I don't fall over. This week's long run in my training is 6.5 miles.

Honestly some days running seems easy then others my legs feel 1 million pounds. Hopefully APR 28 is a easy day... lol ya right.

good luck everyone!!!

I've got some friends running Nashville. I've heard great things about it. Rock N Roll events are generally pretty friendly for first timers. I ran a RnR event for my first full and had a great time.

I think everyone has days where your legs feel like lead! Good luck with training and enjoy the race day!
  • jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    After completing the Locomotive Half Marathon in Kennesaw, GA without incident (2:19:43), I registered for the New Jersey Marathon on May 6th. Both are/will be my firsts. I just finished a 15 mile run last weekend, and a 12 mile mid-week medium long run today. Every finished long run increases my confidence. My plan (a mashup of different strategies, but I started with Higdon's) is to take two shots at a long run of 20 miles (my upcoming long runs are 16, 18, 20, 14, 16, 18, 20, then taper to 12, and 8)- I want to be as prepared as I can be at the starting line. Last year at this time I weighed over 470 pounds, so it is insane to me that I can actually do these runs (and such a feeling of accomplishement when I finish them).

7980302.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My training is going great! I'm in my taper week and Saturday March 3rd is my 2nd half which is a trail run. I'm super excited!! I ran 11 miles this past Saturday and I have been running hills every run to get ready for this. My next half is March 31st.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I just started training for a half marathon this week that is scheduled for May 19. it will be my 7th half marathon since February last year. I feel my running is getting stronger, but I'm still building that base. I tend to have a lot of piriformis issues and the issues that crop up from that. Right now, I'm building up my endurance by running .75 miles and walking .1, then repeating until I reach my desired distance (usually 3 miles) to prep for a 5k.

Training plan from Runners World says my longest run before the half will be 8 miles. Not good, but I'm not looking to win or PR or anything. Just finish...

Also found out yesterday that said half marathon doesn't give a finisher's medal, so I may drop to the 5k since there's not enough time to adequately train.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Horrible. I did what you shouldn't do and didn't listen to my body. Now I've got a stress fracture in my leg and can't run, so I've substituted swimming as a low impact alternative. The only good news is I have until September to train... so hopfully after 4-6 weeks I'll be good to go and can resume training. I miss running terribly right now.
  • kentmanion
    kentmanion Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Training went great! Running my first full Marathon this Sunday March 4th!!!

Next half will be after a 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike at IM Kansas 70.3!!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Kind of mixed. I'm working towards a half marathon at the end of April. When the weather is cooperating and I can get outside, I'm doing very well. When it snows, like today, and it's too icy and dangerous to be outside and I move to the treadmill, it's terrible. I just can't stay focused enough to get in a good run. I get so bored. And I don't find it mentally relaxing since I'm not particularly graceful and have to pay careful attention so as not to fall off.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Kind of mixed. I'm working towards a half marathon at the end of April. When the weather is cooperating and I can get outside, I'm doing very well. When it snows, like today, and it's too icy and dangerous to be outside and I move to the treadmill, it's terrible. I just can't stay focused enough to get in a good run. I get so bored. And I don't find it mentally relaxing since I'm not particularly graceful and have to pay careful attention so as not to fall off.

I am with you, I hate the treadmill! 3 miles feels like 10, soooo boring!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely happy with where I am in relation to my half. Mine is on April 8th and I was meant to start my training program on Jan 9th, but ended up getting really sick (worst cold I've had in half a dozen years and the flu) which was followed immediately by an infection in my leg that had me in and out of a clinic everyday for a week. So I lost three solid weeks of training.

But, me being me, I just stepped right into the schedule like I'd started it from the beginning. It was rough-going at first but I'm hitting my grove. Last Sunday I completed my first double digit run ever, and ran entire thing, start to finish. And I'm only about 20 seconds off of what I'm hoping my race day pace will be.

So what started out as a very rough year and could have totally detailed me has been successfully turned into a non-entity. :)

Admittedly, before every long run day I have mini panic attacks about whether or not I can do it and that I was clearly insane to think I could do this at all. But then I go out there and kill it. :D

My main challenge is still eating for my long run days. I've gotten better with the day before but the actual run days have been super busy around my runs and I'm having trouble eating enough those days. So I end up ravenous on Mondays, which are lighter calorie days for me cuz they're strength days. So I'm working on proper meal timing and caloric allotments for those meals to keep myself on track.

Then I get to do it all again starting in June for Disneyland Half. lol