Will my tummy tone up faster by doing sit ups with dumbbells

Options
thinking of doing sit ups with dumbbells, how would I do it exactly and would it help tone my tummy faster? Thanks

Replies

• neekz0r
    neekz0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No. Not really.

There's a saying you should take to heart: "Abs are made in the kitchen."

The only real way to get abs is to get lean enough that they show through the layer of fat.

Also, sit ups are probably the worlds worst exercise for exercising the abs.

First, make sure your nutrition and calorie intake is in order.
    Second, investigate things like planks (side, front, back, etc)
    Third, after planks get easy investigate things like the "wheel of fun"
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Diet, not sit ups, will achieve the goal you're striving for.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It may help you gain muscle faster, if that's what you mean. However if it remains hidden under belly fat you won't get to see it! And getting rid of the fat requires overall fat loss.

According to my physical trainer friend, there's lifting weights and wasting time! No such thing as toning!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

The only real way to get abs is to get lean enough that they show through the layer of fat.

This.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Sit ups will strengthen your abs (and the added resistance of dumbbells will strengthen them further, provided you are using proper form), but no amount of sit ups will "tone" your stomach so that you can actually SEE your abs. Tone, in this context, is a noun, not a verb. It's not something you do; it's something you have. To get it, you have to burn fat, and there is no way to burn it from a specific part of your body.

As others have indicated, proper diet (lots of whole foods, not so much processed) and resistance training (namely heavy weights) are the best ways to get there.