Just quit Smoking...anyone else?

Options
Looking for some support/motivation to keep going on this quitting train. Let me know if you just recently quit too or if you have any tips. I'm on day 3.

Replies

• Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I quit on Saturday, that is i had my last cigarette saturday night have been smoke free for 4 days so far and doing well !!
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    i dont smoke... but BIG congrats on quitting!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    21 days as of today.

I just quit cold turkey, I haven't used any patches or nicotine gums.
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I quit on New Year's Eve after smoking for 22 years. My best advice is very simple...Just don't smoke!!!!

It won't be easy but just take it one day at a time....you can even break down to 1 minute at a time if you need to.

Other things that will help...

chew gum
    stay busy
    don't dwell on it

You can do it!!! Just don't smoke. :-)
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    3 months yesterday no alcohol, no cigarettes, no caffeine... 100% sober :)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I quit second had smoking last week. I was up to three people a day.

On a serious note.. congrats and keep up the fight!!!
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I quit on new years day and have cheated about 3 times since then lol....it's still hard, not gonna lie. I think it's the hardest when I'm around friends who smoke, so if you can avoid your smoking friends for the first few months, I would recommend doing that :)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Day 57, but who's counting? :laugh:

You have to get to a point where you decide your health and longevity are more important than the addiction to smoking. Use whatever cessation method works best for you and just stick with it. Every day will be easier than the one prior.

Plus, you will be amazed at how gross people smell after they've just finished a cigarette. Ya' want that to be you?
  • sreimer07
    sreimer07 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sunday was my last day of smoking. I'm ready to kick this habit :)
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks guys! this has been fun to read. i'm looking forward to the positives that come after the cravings go away. I'm using wellbutrin to help out with that, it's been going ok but it's hard!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bikemike youre funny

I quit 21 months ago. It is a process. Use the same techniques you do to get and stay healthy

Just use whatever works for you (other than food) and use it. I used ecig and it did wonders for me I smoked ~30 yrs
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Day 21 for me!

It's not always easy, but I do feel better. :smile:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Plus, you will be amazed at how gross people smell after they've just finished a cigarette. Ya' want that to be you?
    [/quote] THIS!!!!

I had a guy sit by my wife a few months ago at a school band concert that reeked of cigaretts. My wife about gagged. So before the show started we got up and moved to another section. But before we left, i looked at him and quietly said your azz stinks...wife didnt know i did this but i was really pissed.... we got home and my wifes hair and coat stunk like him. not cool....
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Great job, I'm not a smoker but I grew up with my both parents smoking. My dad actually stopped one New Year's as well and has never picked up the habit again since. My mom has tried many times, however her husband smokes, and from what I can tell that greatly affects your progress when trying to cut the habit (being around people all the time who smoke).

Please keep it up for the sake of your own health and the ones who love you. :) I've been hoping my mother would stop for years now, but she has yet to do so.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all of you!! My grandma has been a smoker for years and year and years, and she has had countless health problems because of it. Keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I quit almost 4 years ago. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Eventually though the cravings got better. Now I maybe get a craving 2-3 times a year and it lasts less than a minute. In the beginning I thought of the cravings as a penance for ever smoking in the first place. That honestly helped me to feel stronger about quitting. Good luck! It's worth it!

Also, my grandfather died nearly 2 years ago from lung cancer. Watching him at the end made me glad that I quit and wish he had done the same. It's horrible to watch someone you love so much go through that. Definitely felt cheated out of more years with him.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    this is so hard for me...I did it a few months back but now my life is filled with stres so YES Im smoking yet again....dang it!
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One day at a time,
    One hour at a time,
    One minute at a time.

My husband and I had our last cigarette the first Wed of Aug 2011 ~~ I looked at him and said, I am done, I am not buying anymore smoke, if you want to you can!!

That was it ~~~ it hasn't been easy! The not buying them was actually easier than I thought, but the car rides, the before and after meals etc.. was not easy. We haven't looked back and we both feel alot better. AND with the extra money (well not extra $) but we are treating us to funner things, I got a membership at Curves and a treadmill and he is getting a membership for the Country Club in town.

I is worth it!! and YOU CAN do it.
  • dimplez711
    Options
    Just over 3 years for me, cold turkey. Living in Chicago, cigarettes were about $9 a pack when I quit. Lack of funds, and a guilt trip from the hubby got me to finally quit. I still have cravings, especially on stressful days.

But then I just remember all the money I spent on cigarettes (up to 2 packs a day, for myself and sharing), gum, lighters, and hand sanitizers. I remember the smell sticking to my hair, clothes, and hands. I remember the taste staying in my mouth no matter how many pieces of gum or mints i chewed. And then the craving goes away.

Hang in there, it gets easier.
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I quit on New Year's Eve after smoking for 22 years. My best advice is very simple...Just don't smoke!!!!

It won't be easy but just take it one day at a time....you can even break down to 1 minute at a time if you need to.

Other things that will help...

chew gum
    stay busy
    don't dwell on it

You can do it!!! Just don't smoke. :-)

Today is my day. I smoked for 20 years and today is my Quit Day!. I am doing what my girl said JUST DO IT! It really helps sweating out your cravings. I've been using Tae Bo moves with 2lb weights when the craving is strong. I'll punch it out. If you need support feel free to add me as a friend.