Avocados

Options

Replies

• flong1975
    Options
    I've eaten a 1/4 avocado almost everyday for a year now. This way I get to enjoy myself, but cut down on the calories by only have 1/4.

How do you keep the rest from it from browning? Just air tight container, cellophane and some lime juice?

if you leave the seed in the other half and wrap it tight with plastic wrap or an air tight container, it will keep until the next day... it might get some dark spots on top but if that bothers you, just scrap it off...
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a 1/4 avocado almost everyday for a year now. This way I get to enjoy myself, but cut down on the calories by only have 1/4.

How do you keep the rest from it from browning? Just air tight container, cellophane and some lime juice?

if you leave the seed in the other half and wrap it tight with plastic wrap or an air tight container, it will keep until the next day... it might get some dark spots on top but if that bothers you, just scrap it off...

That is what I do as well. I usually have about 1/4 an avocado on my sandwich pretty much every single day at lunch. Yummy yum yum!
  • dvk422
    Options
    To keep avocado and guacamole green and free of brown spots just squeeze a generous amount of either lime of lemon juice on top and keep on a baggie or container in the fridge it will last 3 to 4 days like this. If you take another portion, squeeze more juice on it. Also if you cut apples under water, either running or on a bowl, they will not get brown either. Warp it cut side in a moist paper towel.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think Avocados are my favorite food. I eat half an avocado everyday in my salad or wrap. High calories, but also high nutrition. Like everyone said, squirt lemon juice on the other half (seed in) and put in a ziploc :).
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    They're so good for you! Not to mention that they're practically a drug...I'm always happiest during and after eating an avocado.
    I try to just have 1/4 at a time. It helps if you just cut a piece out like a pie slice, exposes less surface for browning.Squeeze a little lemon or lime juice on it and it will be fine!
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Saw this new avacado saver on pinterest so they don't go bad. Not sure the name though sorry but someone was a step ahead of us! I'm going to have alvacado on my burger for dinner!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    love avocado! I eat half at a time, almost everyday. As someone else mentioned, I leave the pit in the half that I'm saving and throw it in a ziploc bag, you'll only get minimal browning around the edges, I just slice off a very, very thin layer of the brown stuff.

I eat them in salads, on sandwiches, last night I had some in a quesadilla.

I have this great salad that I make too with hearts of palm, avocado, cilantro, and lime, it's so yummy!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I eat one 3 times each weak. Cut it up and mix it with cucumber and tomato. I always try to find the smallest ones I can, just to keep the calorie count down a bit. Though, I'm afraid I might not be using the best option in my diary as it says only 200 calories.

Oh well, I normally have extra calories each day anyway.
  • Motivation_101
    Motivation_101 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Did you know that even though they have so many calories they have something in them that helps your body burn fat
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    love avacados toooo! :) What sucks is you cant really just eat half though; the other half gets all brown if you try and save it. I guess I could just scrape the surface off...

MY RESPONSE:
    You can squirt it with lime juice too. I love a salad made with 3 tomatoes, 1 can of hearts of palm (cut into slices), and a whole avacado mixed with the juice of a whole lime (salt and pepper if desired). Delicious and will last for 2 days in the refrigerator without turning brown.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I actually saw the avocado saver tool at target. It keeps the other half of the avocado fresh. :)
  • eickylourenco
    eickylourenco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    monounsaturated and oleic fatty acids are rich in Avocados, they can supposedly help reduce belly fat....
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Why do they have so many freaking calories

Oil.

Oil is about 120 cals/tbsp regardless of the source. It's "healthy" oil but it's oil nonetheless.

Budget the cals and you'll be fine.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Just spread it out over several meals. I use half an avocado to make a sandwich rather than eat a whole one in one go. It's all about portion control.

edit - a bit of saran wrap works well to preserve leftover avocado.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Zombie avocados arise!
  • xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Can't say im a fan of it but had some with chicken on a sandwich for lunch today for the health benefits.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Along with their magic fat-burning properties, ,avocados also help threads rise from the dead. Then they chase people down to eat their fat.

This is my new favorite comment. Now when I'm upset I will think of this and feel better lol
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    monounsaturated and oleic fatty acids are rich in Avocados, they can supposedly help reduce belly fat....

They don't.