My only weakness is Weekends!

Options
I have been finding that eating successfully throughout work week is relatively easy for me: I basically have the same thing for breakfast and my snacks every day, and usually a salad or sandwich for lunch. Then when I get home, based on how many calories I have left in the day, I will make myself a sensible dinner.

But when it comes to the weekends, I feel like I'm lost! Since I am home and not at my office, I am more exposed (physically and mentally) to food. I also go out for brunch or dinner occasionally with my fiance or friends (I still try to eat well, but obviously not as perfectly as I would during the work week). I feel like I LIVE through the whole week to be able to have an unscheduled weekend, but obviously that is hurting me in the long run. Does anyone have any tips or advice for mentally making your way through the weekend? While I know it COULD be as easy as "pack yourself all your meals/snacks and close up the kitchen", that obviously isn't sustainable. I also like to get out and do things, but obviously I can't stay busy ALL the time, nor do I want to. Just looking for some help to pull me out of unstructured weekend funks! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    plan non food things to do at the weekend. I find my really bad weekends are those i laze around doing nothing and then i go to the shops and buy crap and eat it all!
    maybe you could go for a walk if you are going out for a meal (i.e chose a country pub for lunch and plan a walk around it. or do some cycling if you have a bike. go to a museum or just make sure you have lots to do - i.e really energetically clean the house.
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump....I'm in the same boat!!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I usually plan ahead for my weekends. If I know I'm going to be eating a lot, I will exericse more and have more deficits. I look as the week in whole, rather than each individual day. Also, get rid of tempting things around the house that are easy to grab. And don't get upset at yoursel for enjoying your weekend, just do the best you can, enjoy it, and take responsibility for it! Hope this helps.
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    On dr. oz he said that if you take saffron extract you stop cravings....fyi. hope it helps. It's a bit expensive but since you only need help on weekends just use it then.
  • kao1114
    Options
    Maybe take the time to develop your interests by finding a hobby that you enjoy that will keep you busy and not thinking about the food you are trying not to eat - any type of craft, jewelry making, dancing, start a blog - whatever will keep your mind occupied until the temptation passes. Best of luck!
  • Kmacavery
    Kmacavery Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going out, try to choose restaurants with healthier options or split the meal with someone. As someone mentioned above, rid your house of things you tend to snack on that might not be the best choice. You could also make little weekend goals like drinking a certain amount of water. Make it a point on Saturdays & Sundays to drink a lot of water! It will keep you full and also help prevent cravings! Hope some of this helps :-)
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    if you do weekly weigh in -- do it on MONDAY.. =) keeps you thinking abt it all weekend!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you!

To help keep me from getting derailed, I often pack single serving size snacks that I can take with me when I'm running around town so that I'm not tempted to grab crap while I'm out. I plan dinners and larger meals in advance and bring a big water bottle with me so I stay hydrated. It's definitely harder when your day isn't structured, but you can make small changes and plans (like planning snacks and meals) that will help keep you on track :)
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    if you do weekly weigh in -- do it on MONDAY.. =) keeps you thinking abt it all weekend!

I love that idea ^^^

I personally chose to work 7 days a week for now so I don't have as much free time until I can find more constructive ways to avoid food when spring comes haha
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I did this last year. So what am I changing this year? I am logging in on the weekends and PRE-PLANNING what I EAT! Before you order anything or head out, workout on Saturday morning and workout again on Sunday evening for those overage calories just in case. This will give you a few extra calories. During the work week, plan out which bars, clubs and/or restaurants you and your friends will go to. Next go to the locations online menu and select meals. Put those meals into MFP food to see what the calories/fat/carbs/protein/SODIUM amounts are. If you do this during the week, you have less work to do when you go out. GOOD LUCK!
  • ADM1979
    ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues. I work so hard thru the week and blow it on weekends. But I am making a plan of action for this weekend. I am packing my lunch and snacks (just like work) but extra for the kiddos. That is my plan.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Weekends are always tough for me too, my way to combat it is accepting the fact im probably going to overeat by a couple 1000 calories, and working that into my weekly deficit. I am trying out a day where i completely dont eat which will be tomorrow, very much like the Eat Stop Eat method.
  • gibfriedk
    gibfriedk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same - weekdays I am in control with eating. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work and when it is gone - it is gone. I have gone so far as not bringing any cash with me to work so as not to be tempted by the vending machines. But the weekends is a different beast altogether. This has worked for me....The last few months I have been planning 2 - 4 hour walks with my dog. I pick a natural park/area that I have never been to before and walk the trails/neighborhoods. I even bring my camera in case I see something interesting. The dog loves it because she get a really long walk and it is great for me because I am using calories and am away from temptation. (I love in So California so no snow and I do pick areas that are safe to walk alone.) I enjoy seeing new parts of the city that I have never seen before and exploring. When I get home I feel good about how far/long I have walked and look forward to looking at any photographs I have taken. So far it has worked for me and I look forward to picking out the next walk.
  • Kipper2012
    Options
    I am definately in the same boat, but the Monday weigh ins work wonders for me! I find Friday/Sat nights are the worst for me - mostly going out dinner or having a few drinks with friends. My biggest pitfall is not planning and being out and about at meal times & just picking up whatever I can to eat. I try to make my home a no-fail environment, but with kids that is hard too because they want the snackfoods and I have a husband who loves chips. Luckily, I am not a big fan of chips so I buy those for him, and buy snacks that I don't particularly like for the kids so when I do get cravings and dig through the kitchen, there isn't much there that I would want, so I either go without or pick something better for me. I make sure my Sundays thought are better planned - I try to make a nice "Sunday dinner" each week, usually chicken or turkey & veggies, so that the day before the weigh in, I've had a healthy food day.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for their suggestions. I do suppose that some of the issue is that I simply don't have much going on because of colder and shorter days here in Boston - usually in the summer I am very active on weekends (ww rafting, camping, hiking) - and even in the winter I ski a ton but we have been essentially snow-less this year!

I definitely think bringing healthy snacks with me wherever I go is a good plan. I do always try to carry my water bottle with me too. My fiance's cousin is coming to town this weekend and I've already planned my meal for the restaurant we are going to! Gonna be sure to get some extra cardio in this weekend too!

Someone said they like to weigh in on Mondays - I try to do Tuesday to allow for the reality of the weekend to set in. I did Mondays before, but ultimately weekends just seem to be a bit more filled with physically heavier foods, so I don't want those two days to totally deter how good I felt about the rest of the prior week. A heavy foods weekend might not have ultimately ended in absolutely terrible overall weekly numbers!
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I actually love the weekends because my hubby is home so it makes going to the gym a lot easier!! I just don't see the weekends as any different from any other day. I have my meal plan and follow it 24/7. If I go out to eat (which is not often), I always look at the menu beforehand or ask for the nutrition menu when I get there. I order everything with no butter and no sauces. I always do veggie sides with no butter and if I get salad, I do no cheese, no croutons and get oil and vinegar dressing but only use the vinegar for some flavor with a dash of salt and pepper. If they bring bread, I ask them not to. You have to be really specific and know what you want. It takes a lot of dedication and will power but it is so worth it!