Working out on an empty stomach

Options
I was just wondering is it benefit you at all to workout on an empty stomach of your trying to lose weight I've heard of working out in the morning on an empty stomach but don't know if it was just a myth ?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    According to science, it's a myth. Fasted exercising holds no advantage over eating first for overall fat burning.
    http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning sounds like you are going to really drop your blood sugar. I would not recommend it.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Unless you like working out hungry, I don't see any benefit. I don't like to work out on a FULL stomach, but I like to have a little something to work with!
    I do workout first thing in the morning, before breakfast, but because of my thyroid meds I can't eat for an hour. So I get in an hour of exercise there, usually. But when it comes to my serious gym workouts, I prefer to not have a growling stomach. I usually have a protein shake or protein bar about 30 minutes prior to heading out to the gym. Just enough of a boost so I have energy, but not so much that I get cramps from it.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. Alot of people whine about feeling sick if they eat before a workout. An equal number whine if they don't eat. :) Find what works for you.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing that matters is how you feel best when you're doing it. Some people need to eat before and some don't like to. Other than that I don't think it will make any difference in whether or not you lose weight. Did you burn more than you took in last week? If so you'll probably have lost a bit of weight regardless of when you ate your food. No worries!
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Many people prefer to exercise in the morning before eating. One benefit is that, since exercise increases the appetite, eating before breakfast is unlikely to cause you to eat more than you intended if you were to exercise later in the day.

That being said, the best time for exercise is when it fits best into your schedule and you have the most energy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed any difference no matter what time of day I work out, or how full/empty my stomach. Though I find it very hard to workout on a full stomach.
  • mom2my3angels123
    Options
    My curves coach told me to never do this because you'll bottom out your blood sugar. it's a very bad idea.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    Its the worst thing you could do.

Source: thedoctorstv.com yesterdays episode
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I do it at least 5 days a week. It works for me.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Body for Life by Bill Philips & he recommends it. I normally eat before I work out but today I haven't been able to so I'll be doing my cardio burn on an empty stomach. Maybe I'll lose 30 lbs on the treadmill today. :bigsmile:
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Everything I've read says this is a no no. I recommend eating something healthy, waiting an hour, then working out.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I eat a juicy fruit or sweet fruit for breakfast, then shortly after a juicy or sweet fruit for breakfast and snack, then about 20 minutes or so after wards/after if digests a bit, I exercise.

Immediately after I exercise (after my body calms down), down a 16.9 oz of water, then I eat a protein/fiber/carb snack/meal--very satisfying this is for me. But like others have said, everyone is different and what works for some, may not work for others.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I heard people talking about it.. I tried it went to the gym was on the treadmill and thought I was going to pass out before I could get to the locker room to sit down... So for me it was a baaad idea... but everyone is different.. :)
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it helps you to lose more weight or increase your fat burn.

I believe it all comes down to personal preference. For me, I can't exercise (intensely anyways) on an empty stomach. I get shaky and naseous. The only time I can exercise on an empty stomach is going on a slow pace either walking or on my stationary bike. Anything other than a stroller makes me shaky and sick. I also can't workout on a full stomach. It's an odd balance.
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before my workouts, only as a matter of preference. I don't notice any difference in speed of loss.

My morning routine is something like this:
    5 roll out of bed
    5:15 leave for the gym
    5:25 usually on the 1st piece of equipment .
    I exercise 60-70 minutes (cardio) come home, shower, head to work and finally around 8 I eat a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit.

On a side note I used to be a breakfast skipper, now I actually enjoy it and I seem to eat better throughout the day.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. Alot of people whine about feeling sick if they eat before a workout. An equal number whine if they don't eat. :) Find what works for you.
    ^ This.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Body for Life by Bill Philips & he recommends it. I normally eat before I work out but today I haven't been able to so I'll be doing my cardio burn on an empty stomach. Maybe I'll lose 30 lbs on the treadmill today. :bigsmile:

Just to be clear, he recommends morning fasted HIIT. he doesn't recommend this for strength training.

I did BFL for something like 2 years and it was very effective (well, life-changing actually) for me. But I look back on a few of the things from that book kind of skeptically now.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter as long as you stick to a routine that works for you.
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I've heard working out without food can be very dangerous. If you're lifting weights, it'll be more difficult because you don't have enough food to give your body energy. Eating carbs before working out helps a lot. I did hear if you jog or do cardio without food in your system can help you lose weight quicker, but again it's not recommended. This is something a lot of celebrity's do when they try to lose weight quickly.