High protein

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for high protein foods besides the traditonalegg whites, black beans chicken, fish, and cottage cheese? I'm looking for other options because I'm starting to get tired of egg whites, fish, and cottage cheese. I was thinking about protein shakes.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    image004.330215549_std.jpg
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The best Shake recipe (I got it from these message boards). Delicious

1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
    4 oz Greek Yoghurt (I use 0% Fat)
    1 FROZEN banana (cut into pieces)
    4 cups baby spinach
    1tbsp Peanut butter (I use reduced fat)

Blend in a blender. Enjoy

This is absolutely delicious (trust me). Had it yesterday for breakfast. Calories are like 238.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    ya, steak. also, greek yogurt. and certainly protein shakes. i couldn't meet my protein goals without them and i eat meat at most meals.
  • kellyellenz
    kellyellenz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have started to vary up how I serve proteins.

For example, I grill chicken breasts a lot. But roasting an entire chicken is the same TYPE of protein, but for me, a totally different type of meal. I'll roast a whole chikcen on the weekend and eat on it in several different ways throughout the week. For example, I'll take some of the chicken, dice it, add some mashed avocado, a little greek yogurt, some chopped spinach and celery and spices and it's like chicken salad. Other days I'll throw it on top of a salad with lots of veggies and homemade dressing. Another day I'll toss it in with spaghetti squash and some seasonings and a little parm cheese.

I do the same with hamburger, brown it up then make tacos one day, spaghetti sauce or lasagna (with spaghetti squash) the next, maybe a casserole with lots of veggies, maybe chili or hamburger-veggie soup. When I use JUST that protein, it gets boring, but by adding a few extra ingredients, it's not so bad.

I've even branched out to pork, which I never used to eat. I've made pulled pork sandwiches or pulled pork taco meat in the crockpot or a pork tenderloin on the grill. Great served with veggies or tossed in a salad.

I've also made a pizza with a cauliflower crust that I'll top with veggies and protein. And I've branched out into more veggie side variations. Sometimes a similar repeating protein is a whole new meal with more variances on sides.

Hope that helps! I've found that searching for paleo (even if you're not - I'm not) recipes has given me a lot of great ideas.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    hog_cuts.jpg

grilled-fish2.jpg
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options

* drooling*
  • Legalchica
    Options
    hmmm there are lots of things high in protein....
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    nice! love it! :D...the pix of the bbq steak!
  • niclambert
    niclambert Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt is high in protein. I mix about 6oz with a 1/3 cup of low glycemic berries. It can be a bit tart, you could add a little sweet & Low or I add a 1/4 cup of kashi go lean crunch which adds carbs and protein but adds a hint of sweet.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    more meats, fish, peanut butter, nuts to name a few
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Seems like i'm late to the party here - but yeah, steak/pork, nuts and greek yogurt are great sources.
    I personally add a protein shake after workouts, because it fills me up and helps hit my macros
  • Megclark37
    Options
    I recently started taking whey protein and using it in shakes- they are SO delicious.. I use
    -1 scoop whey protein (strawberry flavor)
    -half of a banana
    -1 cup low fat yogurt
    -1 tbsp flax seeds (optional)
    -dash of skim milk
    -full ice tray

-mix together in a blender until smooth. It makes about two huge glasses worth- SO filling! right under 300 cals
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    I am probably going to list things that you said you are getting tired of, but here is what I eat for protein....

Swai fish fillets
    cottage cheese
    steak (all kinds)
    Pork chops, steaks, loins
    tuna
    Greek yogurt
    almonds
    peanuts and peanut butter
    milk
    seafood (all kinds, shrimp, crab, lobster)
    Cheese (all kinds, including spreads with crackers)
    Unjury whey protein shakes (drinking one right now:happy: )
    I know there is more, but that is all I can think of right now

Good luck to you!
  • Ellagasm
    Options
    A protein supplement after a workout is one of the most important aspects of gaining muslce. Building muscle means you burn more calories at rest unlike cardio when you only burn calories during the activity. I use Optimum Nutrion Gold Standard Whey, it is absolutely delicious.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    UponThisRock and Acg have perfect suggestions. In fact, combine them together, bacon wrapped steak. :love:
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    hmmm there are lots of things high in protein....

Bahahaha! Sorry, I have the mindset of a 15 year old.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

Did you REALLY have to post a pic to an awesome flame cooked T_BONE STEAK ohh with perfect grill marks??? LMAO.. Or why would the powers that be that made me click this link want to torture me to see this AWESOME TTTTTTBOOONNNEEEE!! ok I am not even going to look at the rest of the post sry op I think they did just fine answering your questions... Damn that looks soo good!! :bigsmile:
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

^^^^^THIS THIS THIS^^^^^

:love:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

^^^^^THIS THIS THIS^^^^^

:love: