Do you eat before cardio?

Options
do you eat before a walk/jog/run.. or any cardio form of exercise?? is it bad that i don't? i like to go on an empty stomach because i feel like i'm just going to burn the carbs/food i ate if i eat before

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Whether you have eaten or not before exercise makes no difference for the actually burn.

You will burn the same whether you eat before or exercise on an empty stomach.

It's a personal preference. I can't not eat before as I get shaky however I also can't exercise on a full stomach or I get sick.
  • gldnlark
    Options
    I hit the gym before dinner. If my stomach is growling, I have an apple or banana before I go. Exercising that hungry makes me dizzy and tired. And that will defeat the purpose of working out if I can't finish my routine.

A
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    have a snack of 100-150 calories before exercising and eat protein and carbs after exercising, normally within 30 minutes after exercising. Protein helps your musles rebuild and your body needs the carbs.
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If I had a late-night snack and am not hungry in the morning (I work out first thing), then usually not. But sometimes, if I'm hungry or didn't get enough sleep, I'll have half a banana or some nuts first. Otherwise it's hard to get through my session. Afterward, I have a breakfast of eggs and cheese and vegetables.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I can't get my butt outta bed early enough to eat, so during the week I don't, but on the weekends I do. A trainer friend told me to eat something low glycemic, like an apple, 30 mins before, but like I said...
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    In general no I don't eat and if I do it's nothing more than a banana.
  • athensguy
    Options
    I usually eat a banana and have a cup of coffee before my morning run.

Some studies I have read have shown improved performance when eating immediately following a workout rather than waiting (In the study I'm thinking of, the reference wait was 4 hours).

After my run, I eat a breakfast around 600 calories then eat a few hundred in snacks before lunch.
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    I go to the gym at noon after dropping my twins off at school. So I have eaten breakfast around 730, then either a light lunch or protein shake made with skim milk and 100% whey protein around 1115-1130. I cannot do cardio on an empty stomach, I have and I get physically sick.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I don't like to eat before I workout. It makes me feel sluggish and blah. I drink a protein shake and eat dinner or breakfast (depending on time of workout) after the workout. Never anything before.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I usually have a granola bar before I go, nice and light, but filling.
  • Struggling4abetterme
    Options
    I usually eat an apple before, but today I didn't....so at the middle of it, I was really sick ,I want to think it was de Jillian Michaels DVD...Maybe too much for me ha?
  • nicholelm
    Options
    I will typically wake up and drink a cup of coffee, once I start to feel the caffeine (aka motivation), I go for a run lol. Short 2 milers though. Longer runs I have to eat about an hour before hand...