EAT MORE VEGETABLES

Options
2»

Replies

• MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Something that is simple and very yummy, IMO. I take large, raw brussels sprouts and cut the so they are shredded. I then drizzle them with balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, brown mustard and a touch or agave syrup (or honey) and mix it into a slaw.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Any kind of roasted veggies are absolutely delicious! Pop them in the oven, add a little olive oil and some spices (whatever you like), maybe a little balsamic vinegar. Stir every so often and once they start browning, they're done. I am in love with this stuff: http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Herbs-and-Spices/Blends/Perfect-Pinch/Perfect-Pinch-Vegetable-Seasoning.aspx It has directions on the label, too!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    For lunch today, I had a small leftover baked sweet potato. I took the skin off, cut it up and sprinkled a little brown sugar over the top. I heated it up and put a Cajun-spiced tilapia fillet on it. Love that sweet/spicy combo! I also had some grape tomatoes on the side.
  • Bratkins
    Options
    Veggies and hummus. Big fat veggie salads with balsamic vinaigrette, olives and goat cheese. I also like bell peppers (usually red, orange or yellow) with some laughing cow light cheese in them.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My addiction (yes, I crave it ALL the time) is cabbage sliced thin and sauteed in olive oil and a LOT of basil. You can use dried or fresh, but it's a LOT. It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo yummy. :) Mmmmmmm.....
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    We are a family of 4 all eating healthy. At the supermarket this week, I got the following veg:

1kg carrots, 2 cauliflowers, 4 broccoli bunches, 1 big bag spinach, 1 big bag kale, 300g sugarsnaps, 300g baby corns, 300g French beans, 150g stringless beans, 500g mushrooms, 400g tomatoes, 1 bag mixed salad leaves, 2 courgettes, 6 red peppers, 15 Brussel sprouts and 4 sweet potatoes.

Each evening I boil or steam a combination of 4 or 5 different ones (no oil, no dressing) and we have with salmon, chicken or turkey breast, trimmed pork loin, tuna steak or omelette. Left over veggies are put into bowls and taken by my husband and I to work for lunch the next day with soup or cold meats.

I also take a red pepper sliced into strips to work each day as a snack. It's just like having a bag of crisps/chips!

I also buy lots of fruit!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My addiction (yes, I crave it ALL the time) is cabbage sliced thin and sauteed in olive oil and a LOT of basil. You can use dried or fresh, but it's a LOT. It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo yummy. :) Mmmmmmm.....
    I love sweet and sour cabbage--add balsamic vinegar and some sweetener; or for a complete meal add some sausage or meatballs--delicious.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I chopped up spinach and put it in my "tuna cakes", very good! I made lunch for the family for tomorrow: panini's with more spinach!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    There is approximately 100-150 grams in a serving of vegetables. Ideally, you'd want to eat 3-5 servings of vegetables.

thanks
    i'm definitely falling short of 300 to 500g per day. ill just have to add more carrots/spinach to my meals! :)
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Cabbage, YUM! Sliced cabbage roasted in the oven is soooo good. I have a grill pan and everyday I have grilled squash, zucchini, broccoli and carrots. My hubs can not figure out how I am not completely burned out on them but they are soooo yummy. With a little lemon pepper seasoning and lemon juice squeezed on them. YUM!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty boring with my veggies. I just buy bags of frozen veggies and eat them with salt and pepper, lol.
  • jsflare
    jsflare Posts: 32
    Options
    I like to boil or steam my broccoli or cauliflower, then add 1 oz of fat free cream cheese or 1/3 less fat cream cheese, and put it in the mixer and blend it up, and add a pinch of salt, so good and my kids love it too!!!
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like to do a veggie saute for breakfast but could easily be used for lunch. I saute up my favorite veggies and then serve on a pice of toast with a smear of a wedge of laughing cow cheese. Sometimes I have a fried egg over the top of it. Other times, I saute the veggies and then pour a 5.5 oz can of V8 in with it and you have an instant veggie soup.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    KALE CHIPS!!!!
    Yellow squash (almost as good for you as legumes)
    My new obsession is french cut green beans w/ almonds- not sure why they taste so different to me cut lol.:flowerforyou:
  • LeanMeanFitnessMachine
    Options
    Put veggies on pizza!! The cheese makes even the grossest veggies taste delish! I like to put artichoke, broccoli, and spinach on my pizza (whole wheat crust w/ low sodium cheese).