Food Choices w/ 3 young boys & 1 Very Active Husband

Options
So, I just started tracking my nutrition and exercise a couple of weeks ago. I am doing ok so far. No weight loss, but it has only been a short while. I am just getting back into the routine. What I am struggling with though is finding foods that all of my family can eat that is healthy for them, but yet give them some "special" items to divulge themselves in without breaking the bank. Healthier foods seem to be so much more expensive and with a family of 5, that adds up to a lot especially if I have to buy 2 kinds of the same item. Is anyone dealing with this too and have some advice?

Thanks.....

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller portions of normal foods. You don't need to make special meals for yourself or overly complicate it. Easier said than done, but just cut your portion size.
  • mamabear23
    Options
    I am a mom to 3 kids who are all in activities just about every day of the week...so we are on the run a lot. I haven't spent any more on my grocery bill to buy special foods. I'm just watching what amounts of food I'm taking in. It makes a big difference. I menu plan the week ahead based on who is where, when, and what times.

I lost over 12 lbs last month just by watching what I'm eating and I still have the occasional stop at Wendy's on a night that is super busy.
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    I started by buying healthier versions of what we already ate - the biggest transition was bread (from white to whole wheat), but now my kids enjoy the wheat bread and even get wheat bread when eating out at sandwich shops. If they like pasta, get the Smart Taste by Ronzoni - they won't be able to taste the difference and it is healthier.

Then as another posted mentioned - just eat smaller portions of regular food.
  • angelgutierrez
    Options
    I also have three boys 10 and under and a man who is a garbage disposal. So i tend to cook a lot of food. I will usually cook my meal separably from theirs, cutting the fat, carbs and calories. It can be a hassle but it has defiantly been worth it. Other then that eat what you enjoy, just eat smaller portions and add in veggies which will help you feel fuller longer.
  • LRuland
    LRuland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Since we like "hamburgers", I went & bought "turkey burgers" w/out telling anyone. I seasoned them well & after everyone said they really liked them, I told them what they were. no complaints. I also bought "turkey" bacon. it's pretty good. I still make everyone else the same foods, I just don't eat as much of the same. I substitute some things for myself. I buy certain "healthier" foods for myself.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, don't change everything, start by watching your portions on what you already eat. You'd be surprised to see that what you thought was a portion of something was actually 2 or more. I haven't cut back on anything for the family, but I have switched to some healthier options, like instead of buying more canned veggies, I buy frozen...less sodium and tastes as good as fresh without all the hassle. I'm slowly trying to switch ground beef for ground turkey, but hubby swears it has a different texture. Until I can make the switch from ground beef, I make sure to drain and rinse the meat after I brown it to get rid of as much extra grease as possible. I'm also cooking on my George Forman grill for as many meals as possible. I haven't had a problem switching out some of our snacks for fresh fruit since my oldest loves fruit. I still eat the same dinners as the rest of the family, just really watch how much I'm eating.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't consider healthier foods that much more expensive. I think the misconception is processed healthy foods might be more expensive. Try adding more produce into the meals.

I agree with simply making a few subsitutions: Turkey burgers vs. Hamburgers, Baked Fries vs. French Fries, Cauliflower Mash vs. mashed Potatoes, etc...
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I plan meals two to three weeks out. One of my boys favorite is (healthy) chili dogs, which I serve with baked potato oven fries and baked beans, for the chili I use a can of hormel fat free turkey chili and turkey hot dogs.

Other likes have been veggie pasta, whole wheat pasta with a sauce chocked full of zuchinni, pureed beans, spinach and whatever you like. I just mix the veggies in a can of Hunts Spaghetti sauce, only $1.

Build your own omelete night, nacho/taco salad bar, baked potato bar with veggies, cheese, chicken, and chicken BLT's made into salads for me. I am diligent and measure out proper portion sizes.

I have found you can sneak in healthy things or make better choices. I also watch sales flyers and shop sales, and LOVE Aldi's.

They also love the baked oatmeal from SkinnyTaste.com, I've tried a few fruit combos and so far strawberry and banana is the favorite.

I also get a TON of recipes from Taste of Home, online, and they have a great healthy cooking section, and my fave, the comfort food diet.

Planning helps keep costs down, and by planning in advance it makes nights after busy days at work super easy.
  • awoodwaring
    awoodwaring Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have never understood the concept of healthier = more expensive. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but whenever I buy processed stuff and junk food, my food bill about triples. I purchase a lot of food at Costco (huge bag of romaine =$3, huge bag of broccoli=$3, bananas=$1.30, etc...). What gets expensive are my $10 containers of peanut butter filled pretzels and any special prepared frozen food (which I only buy with their coupons).

For "treats" (snacks around here), I do buy Costco trail mix, pistachios, the aforementioned pretzels and we make popcorn. Oh, and I always seem to buy the black licorice...love that stuff. Sometimes, I'll get dried mangoes, veggie chips or granola bars. However, I try to use coupons or do not buy them too often.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Raised 4 sons with my wife and now are all in their twenties and weight normal. Understand that being the cook and so on is very challenging particularly if you are trying to diet/lose weight. My suggestion is engage all of the family for an all in proposition. You are very important to them. They need to recognize your need to do what you have to do. They will *****, complain, and otherwise object. No matter. Stay the course. It is never too early to learn that health is a priority. That being said, I understand that some foods cost more than others. Again that can be choices. Choose foods wisely and accomplish your goals and along with your family as well. Choose badly and spend more money on doctor visits and other maladies. Food choices do matter. I am certain you know that, but sometimes it can help to just have a little outside consulting to help remind us of what we already know. Good luck in your journey.
  • minijim
    Options
    So I'm a Dad with three busy kids and an active wife (they are all like stick people), and I am a total newbie this site. Down from 220 to 175 and trying to get to 160. I love to cook (and obviously like to eat just as much). We never had soda or junk food in the house and rarely eat out…I was just eating WAY too much! Little exercise and a lot of self control go a long way. IT’S ALL ABOUT PORTION CONTROL.
    When I started watching my weight the kids were all freaked out about Dad's "diet" in large part because I was making WAY too much out of Dad's "special food". Much better if you don't think of it as a diet, which is temporary; rather, MAKE it a lifestyle change within your household which is permanent. Like others have mentioned, watch the portion size and (my big thing) stop finishing what is on the kids plates when their done! Keep it simple and don't over think your common sense otherwise you find yourself becoming frustrated with "all the work and cost" it takes to make the special food and you'll just give up! I know, been there done that! One thing I did when I started on portion control was to fill my plate as I was accustomed to and then put half of it back......guess what, it was ALWAYS more than enough. If my wife served dinner I only ate half of it for dinner and took the remainder to work the next day. Talk about cutting the food bill down. Only took a week or so to retrain the mind and belly what it "needed" instead of what it expected! Portion control is an important part of the puzzle, also start meal planning too that way you know when the "fun" food days are and you can plan not to partake if you so choose. I use an iPad/iPhone app called Paprika that is awesome for meal planning and grocery list preparation.
    My wife is an RN with a crazy schedule so I do a fair amount of the cooking and meal planning, and here is what I have found works for me for those time you want to make the kids "fun" food that is just not on the smart food choice list...and every once in a while is fine it is not going to kill them. Make yourself some Already Been Cooked (ABC) chicken breasts. These are great for busy work day lunches too. Just cook several chicken breast, poaching is fine and then put them in the fridge (or freeze if you want to). When you want something quick and healthy pull out an ABC Chicken breast, heat it (if you want), season it , munch as desired! I'll slice it and throw it on some spinach and call it a day. Couple of pieces of wheat bread, some mustard, POOF instant meal! Very flexible, very fast, not a hassle. I tell the kids I'm the "waiter" for the night so I don't even have to sit down near the tempting "FUN" food, eat my ABC Chix in the kitchen while "waiting" on them, no big deal for either of us.
    If you don't believe me about the effect portion size has, try this. Grab you favorite cereal and bowl and fill it up as you usually do by pouring it out of the box into the bowl. Then read the nutrition label and see what a serving size is. Then measure out what is in you bowl.....you'll be amazed! I've had friends do this and they realize that they are eating 3 -4 servings. Depending on the cereal this can add mega cals to the diet and you don't even know you’re doing it!
    GOOD LUCK AND KEEP YOUR GOAL A PRIORITY!
  • rsalisburyaz
    Options
    I have two young boys also and a husband who luckily, will eat what I make, but doesn't have to worry about weight. Often I just leave off the carb portion of the meal for me, so I'll have the meat/protein and the vegetable, but not the rice, the bread, the pasta or the beans. Can't say I've lost any weight, but at least I haven't gained any!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Drifting off topic, but I don't understand the love people have with ground turkey......

Compare the stats of ground turkey with 85/15 ground beef-they're almost identical.

My Sams club sells fresh 90/10 for 2.99/lb- it's lower in calories, tastes better(IMO), AND cheaper than ground turkey at the grocery store.

Feed them real red meat and they won't feel like they're sacrificing too much. Try to reduce the simple carbs on the table but give them a big hunk of meat. Get rid of the gratuitous use of bread. My bet is they'll eat fewer total calories and have a higher level of satiation.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I agree with an above poster of just eating small portions. My husband just joined me in losing weight about a year ago, before that I cooked food he liked. Just add veggies or a salad to your smaller portions. Look into subbing some things for others. I also take base recipes and switch them up. Cutting oil from 1 tablespoon to a teaspoon really cuts calories. Also switching white foods for brown foods is a good way to start (rice, bread, pasta, etc....). Marinate chicken breasts, they can be fixed so many different ways. Look into cheaper stores as well. I don't know if you have a Big Lots where you're at but I shop there a lot and find really great deals. I found Herr's baked chips for a $1.80 a bag.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    So, I just started tracking my nutrition and exercise a couple of weeks ago. I am doing ok so far. No weight loss, but it has only been a short while. I am just getting back into the routine. What I am struggling with though is finding foods that all of my family can eat that is healthy for them, but yet give them some "special" items to divulge themselves in without breaking the bank. Healthier foods seem to be so much more expensive and with a family of 5, that adds up to a lot especially if I have to buy 2 kinds of the same item. Is anyone dealing with this too and have some advice?

Thanks.....

Preachin to the choir sista! I have 3 stick man boys and a stick man husband (who declares he is not a stick as he is 5 pounds above his favorite weight). He works construction, and never stops moving even when not working. The kids are very active, and walk a minimum of an hour a day plus gym time and regular other activities. They eat constantly. It costs me a fortune. And our grocery bill is higher in the winter here, because everything is out of season, so the prices are up. Seriously, $1.89 for a single green pepper?

I buy meat in bulk at costco, but their produce prices are rediculous. Same for their breads.

My only tip is to clip coupons, stock up on sale stuff, and as much as possible, make it at home. (Muffins etc)
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all that posted. I got some good feedback on how to make it work out. I have been watching what I buy at the store but still buy the normal things as usual. I have been watching my portion sizes and making the decision whether those calories/fat, etc. are really worth it. It has definately become a "normal" thing for me to keep package wrappers and stuff to make sure that I get the correct nutrition information logged in.
  • ksuther13
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is a wonderful website with a lot of delicious recipes.