Short Attention Span....

Options
I am the kind of person who gets really excited and motivated about losing weight..... for about three weeks! Then I crash and burn and can't stay motivated to log or even exercise anymore. Not because I burn myself out by going to hard too fast, but because I can't stay focused for that amount of time. Or better off, I can't stay committed to my goal if I don't see weight drop off right away.

I thought I would pull through it since I started a Biggest Loser challenge at work where I had teammates to support me and a common goal to work for. But here we are on week 7 and I have lost all motivation to compete in it since I won't be winning. I even went out and bought some cool things like an accessory for my iPod to jog with, new nike+shoes, and some comfortable workout clothes.

I teach art at an elementary school. I am a very visual learner. And I love to compete..... Any suggestions to help would be great!!!

Does anyone else out there have (or had) this problem??? I would love to get some feedback and help!

Replies

• NakedLunchTime
    Options
    No great advice for you except you just have to make yourself do it.
  • VanishaDawn
    Options
    I get the same way...ummm I would say try sketching out the reasons that you want to lose weight and put it in a place where you can be reminded of these reasons each day. Or if you're a visual kinda person, measure your inches as they usually drop first. Good luck to you!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, use your own creativity!

1. Create a vision board- pictures, sayings, anything that will help you visualize your goals. (mine includes a chart of day's where I work out- my goal is 100 days this year, I have 70 to go!)
    2. Show your work- my teachers always told me this- good advice- use your food log and exercise log daily
    3. Advice- as a teacher, think about that student that is having a hard time- what would you tell them? tell yourself the same thing. read the boards here, great advice all over.

"you can do this if you apply yourself"
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    When I was getting back into an exercise routine, I found myself really motivated by rewards. In my case, I was exercising using my Wii, so it tracked my workouts and gave me little trophies and stuff. Kept me going. Now exercise is a habit for me and I feel icky if I miss a workout...
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    set up LOTS of mini goals (this weight by this holiday, fit into those jeans by that day, etc) also fitness goals. Make sure they are obtainable, but fun. I am much the same way!
  • Lilith8984
    Lilith8984 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am just like you, I have tried over the last three years to lose weight and not quit...I am not the type of person that can run on a treadmill everyday because I get bored...I have tried exercise DVDs and at one point tried using the Wii. I would lose the weight but would get bored or quit....This time I am determined not to quit. I have started to use the kinect for weight loss and it is keeping me going...I am like you, competitive and I do not like to lose. I have been playing the UFC training and The Biggest Loser together, so far, so good. If you'd like please add me. Good Luck!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am the kind of person who gets really excited and motivated about losing weight..... for about three weeks! Then I crash and burn and can't stay motivated to log or even exercise anymore. Not because I burn myself out by going to hard too fast, but because I can't stay focused for that amount of time. Or better off, I can't stay committed to my goal if I don't see weight drop off right away.

I thought I would pull through it since I started a Biggest Loser challenge at work where I had teammates to support me and a common goal to work for. But here we are on week 7 and I have lost all motivation to compete in it since I won't be winning. I even went out and bought some cool things like an accessory for my iPod to jog with, new nike+shoes, and some comfortable workout clothes.

I teach art at an elementary school. I am a very visual learner. And I love to compete..... Any suggestions to help would be great!!!

Does anyone else out there have (or had) this problem??? I would love to get some feedback and help!

None of this will work until you stop making excuses for yourself. You have to push through, when we make excuses we hold ourselves back, when we don't have the proper support we allow others to hold us back. Do this for you, and don't accept excuses! Nothing happens in a week, it takes time, so be patient, buck up and do your thing.

If you love to compete maybe join a league, running room, cross fit, take classes, etc. That way you can self motivate and be surrounded by people who will motivate you.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    how about set yourself a goal at the end of the month, say 5lb per month and once you reach it treat yourself to something (non food related), that amazon wish list, a manicure, nice bath salts ect?

you could also measure yourself each week if it isn't always showing a loss on the scales to keep you motivated?
    or put a stone/botton in a jar for each lb you lose as a virtual incentive?

personally when this happened to me, i followed this and put on weight for 2 days? i still logged on then got my head together about 3 days later, hope this helps

best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Use the force.
    Set small goals and visualise. Draw up on a piece of paper you and the you, you would like to see in 3 months time. What do you look like? How is everyone reacting to you? What are you wearing?
    This is what I did when I was 210lbs. I visualised myself at 182. It worked.
    Now I visualise myself at 154.
    It's the only way I can do it, I also look at it on my calender and spend ages on my calculator. It helps me.
    Good luck!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Just get on with it.
  • medicrenee
    medicrenee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I only read the first three sentences of that before my attention got diverted elsewhere.

Okay, in all seriousness, focus on getting healthy first and foremost. If you need to switch up your exercises constantly, or chop your veggies into fun shapes, or whatever it takes to get you to stay interested, do it. Just put the emphasis on getting healthy instead of what the scale says and you won't fail.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Squirrel.

I use technology. MyFitnessPal, my Fitbit (yay, I get little trophies for stuff!), and a buddy system.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever actually managed to consciously lose weight in a healthy way. I have the attention span of a gnat. This is what I did to help:

First, I isolated the lifestyles changes that I could reasonably and willingly make that would both make my life better, and help me lose weight, and I made sure that they were sustainable for the rest of my life (primarily, drink more water, eat healthier foods in smaller portions, and exercise often). Then those things all got compiled into a list. Every day I complete every objective on my list, I get a sticker in a calendar. It's so kindergarten, but it WORKS. It's the ultimate mini goal, because you go day by day. And let me tell you, once you get past the first week, you don't want to see any blank spots on that calendar.

Second, I focused a little bit more on the individual parts of my goals. I spent more time looking for healthy recipes, finding exercises that I can do in a limited amount of time that I either enjoy or don't mind doing (no running for this chick, at least not yet). Turns out, I've always enjoyed being in the kitchen, but I'm a pretty decent cook! And I've always enjoyed taking belly dance classes, and I can incorporate bits of those classes into a very fun and productive cardio session. So I've created habits that I LIKE doing.

Third, like a few other people have said, I have my inspirational images. People whom I admire, things I'm going to reward myself with at certain goal weights, places I intend to go and clothes I intend to wear when I'm fit enough to enjoy it.
  • awallin1986
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice!
    The "think like a teacher" comments were great! Here I am being a lazy student when I am constantly encouraging my kids to put their best effort into their artwork! What a hypocrite I am!

I am definitely going to do some of the visuals you all suggested! Having something to look at will definitely help!
  • Vicky_sp
    Vicky_sp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i am finding that trying to keep myself busy at nights, if i just sit and watch tv i eat so i try to keep my hands busy. (i'm a qualified art teacher aswell) what about knitting, card making etc??
    Also i have started doing aqua classes, i go with a friend and we car share so if i know i have to pick her up or she is picking me i can't not go.
    xx
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I found exercise I loved doing. I was constantly quitting before because my exercise was always cardio based. I hate cardio. Doesn't matter what it is, I don't enjoy it. I just strength train now and I love it. I'm constantly looking to improve my numbers or hit some other goal (do a pullup, squat more than my body weight). I also made sure my diet was sustainable. I still eat all the foods I love but I make sure I hit my macros. Because I'm so focused on making sure I'm getting my protein, it no longer feels like a chore to log my food.

Bottom line: if you find what you want to do and are eager to do the rest of your life, you won't lose your motivation.
  • allnewellie
    Options
    ....I'm sorry, you were saying?.....

j/k

I have to take it bite-by-bite. Aside from planning healthy snacks (boiled eggs, steak cubes, etc.) planning an entire day let alone a whole week is sometimes too much for me.

Each bite is an opportunity to make a healthy choice. Took a bite of a candy bar because you absolutely "had" to have it? So what -- move on -- what's your decision for the next bite?

At least you're trying, and that's probably the hardest step of all!!!! :)