Disney World vs. Disney Land

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
My mini has it in his head that we're going to Disney thanks to a family faux pas. But he's so excited I thought I'd look into whether or not we really can go. I've never been to either.

Any recommendations on CA vs. FL? I'd like to go when school is out, so take into account the weather in July (give or take a week). I was thinking 3 nights?

Advice on where to stay, how long, how to make it affordable, etc? Anything you've got :)

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    California is a much better state.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    There is much more to Disney in FL. 4 theme parks 2-3 water parks, Downtown Disney. Go to California for an awesome non-Disney adventure in Yosemite or something.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i've been to both parks, personally I prefer California, maybe it's because this is where i grew up. plus they are supposed to be opening cars land in 2012 in Disney California Adventure, so if your son likes Cars, I would say go to cali. Oh and we have Downtown Disney too.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    We've done 4 nights in WDW and we've also done 8; 8 was way overkill for us.

As far as WDW goes, there are a wealth of options depending on where you wanted to stay (on-site or off) and how much you wanted to spend on your accommodations. (Disney lists their on-site hotels as "value, moderate or deluxe.")

One bit of money-saving advice if you choose WDW and it being your first time going, don't plonk down the extra dosh for "park hopper" tickets; these allow you do enter into different parks on the same day: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Disney Hollywood Studios. On our first visit we only did one park in a day and had more than enough to do between one park and spending time at the hotel swimming, shopping, etc.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    park hoppers aren't worth it in dw, but at Disneyland they are worth it. Mainly because there is so much space between the parks in florinda
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    I LOVED Disney World. I've never been to Disneyland, but I've looked at it and it doesn't have the same things as DW. My two favourite parts of DW were the cultural attractions at Epcot (spectactular!) and the Animal Kingdom, both of which aren't in California. Seems like there's more variety in Florida.

Both would be amazing though, Disney Parks truly are like being inside a movie.
  • TDGee
    Options
    I LOVED Disney World. I've never been to Disneyland, but I've looked at it and it doesn't have the same things as DW. My two favourite parts of DW were the cultural attractions at Epcot (spectactular!) and the Animal Kingdom, both of which aren't in California. Seems like there's more variety in Florida.

California is a cultural attraction!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ted *L*

OK, I'm just going to stalk the comments as they come and see if I can get plan. I'm not a theme park girl. I worked at Great America and it's forever ruined me. So I really don't think I could handle 8 different parks and more than 3 nights *LOL* Maybe I can hire a manny to come with that has more mouse-tolerance :bigsmile:
  • carlypreiss
    Options

California is a cultural attraction!

Haha, that's true, I just loved the fact that you could walk through "the world" in a few hours. I honestly felt like I was in another country at each pavilion.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have not been but at least 5 of co-workers with kids did go to the one in Florida and they all loved it. But one thing I heard as a theme for it....PLAN. Planning is important.
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    First or all Disney World is not an amusement park. I have amusement parks but I love Disney! There are several internet web sited with great advice, just look for one you like.

Stay at moderate resorts if you can afford it, more expensive not worth the money and cheaper ones are over run with hockey and cheer leading teams.

Park hopper passes are great. They let you hit one park early before the crowd hits- have lunch- heat back to resort for pool or rest then out to different place for dinner. We like going to different parks because they have different paces and the change is nice.

Keep an eye out for free dining. It usually happens every August and September. The food is pretty good and healthy adult meals are easy to find. The kid meals are getting better but they are still overloaded with chicken fingers and Mac and Cheese.
  • ballardr1
    Options
    Both are great. Disney World is much bigger. If you stay on property, you can get into the parks earlier. Figure out which rides you want to ride the most. Head straight for the Fast pass ticket. Lines are long. I like Disney World better, but like California better than Florida. If you are going in July, really hot and muggy in Florida. If you like water parks, will like Florida in July. Expect it to rain everyday around 4 or 5 o'clock, but usually less than 1/2 hour.
  • tamamommy
    Options
    I have been to both parks and I would suggest if you are going for 3 days go to Disneyland and get the park hopper pass. As for an inexepnsive trip there is no such thing when it comes to Disney. The Disney resort is more money but it is a short walk into the park with no main entrance line which is a time saver. Have a great time lucky girl.:happy:
  • TDGee
    Options
    Ted *L*

OK, I'm just going to stalk the comments as they come and see if I can get plan. I'm not a theme park girl. I worked at Great America and it's forever ruined me. So I really don't think I could handle 8 different parks and more than 3 nights *LOL* Maybe I can hire a manny to come with that has more mouse-tolerance :bigsmile:

They sell wine at California Adventure...:drinker:
  • ballardr1
    Options
    Disney parks are so much better than any of the typical Amusement Park like Great America or Six Flags. For one they are always being cleaned.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    I've been to both and like disneyworld a drop better. but disney is disney- u can't go wrong.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Ted *L*

They sell wine at California Adventure...:drinker:

THIS! Disneyland is wonderful and our weather is always great. I've never been to Florida, but the mugginess and near-guarantee of rain is a huge turn off to me.

I have a pass, so I get to enjoy Mouse time anytime :)
  • mae1020
    mae1020 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've been to Disney World about 6 times now and we are going again in April and October of this year. Never been to Disney Land.
    If you go to Florida in July it will be HOT!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to Disneyland but have gone twice to Disney World. A park a day is plenty...they are huge! Also...money saving tip...rent a house! Then you can just run to the grocery store and cook your own meals. You get to relax in your own private pool after a long day at the parks and be away from the crowds.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've been to Disneyland probably 35 or 40 times since 1985. I've honestly lost count. Most trips were weekends. I've been to WDW 5 times, each trip for 7-9 days.

If you're going for a weekend, and they are about the same distance for you, I'd suggest Disneyland. There is so much to do in WDW that I think it'd be overwhelming to go for only 3 days. However, 3 days at Disneyland and California Adventure is the perfect amount of time.

The temperatures are going to be pretty similar in July but it's really humid in Florida and much drier in LA. After our last trip in late May/early June I swore I'd never go back to FL that late in the year. 92° and 90% humidity is not my thing.

Hotel prices will vary depending on the hotel, of course. My last family trip to Disneyland we stayed in a Super 8 that was within walking distance (although just barely after a long day walking through the park) and we paid about $60 a night. This past January I was there for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon and we stayed at a closer hotel for $90. If you stay further away, parking is $15 a day or you can use the city's shuttle system for a couple dollars per person. You can also go the other end of the spectrum and stay at one of the Disney properties for upwards of $300 a night but walk out of the hotel and into the park.

Park tickets are pricey, but the more days you buy, the cheaper it gets per day. I bought a 2 day park hopper in January and it was about $160 with a discount. The three day hopper was $175. Kids tickets are a little cheaper.

I'll agree that with either option, planning is critical, especially for your first trip.