wheat/gluten free?

Options
2»

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free (actually grain-free, no corn or rice or anything either), dairy free, vegetarian, and some other allergies. I love to eat and finds lots of things I can eat. You can do it! My husband and son are also veg and gluten free, son is dairy free. My dad is also gluten free, and multiple allergies and I suspect he will have to go completely grain free eventually.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    gluten/wheat free here. i have sensitivities to it that result in stomach issues (feels like i've eaten glass for a a few days, constipation, etc) then it turns into burning itchy hives that get so bad that my throat constricts.

i'm not celiac but my doctor seems to think that they more i eat the less tolerant i become, so I directly avoid it as much as possible since it's in so much stuff that i figure i'm already getting small doses of it on a daily basis. before I cut out gluten I was continually getting itchy hives on a daily basis and that was from 1 bagel in the AM and sandwich bread at lunch which was part of my normal daily eating.

I seem to be doing OK with the reactions as long as I keep my gluten down to 1 serving every 2-3 weeks. i usually will save that serving for a cheeseburger from my favorite gourmet burger place. i will eat it open face so that way i can also get a small serving of onion rings. it probably isnt right that i do that but i'm so used to intestinal issues that they dont really bother me anymore. my 1 serving every 3 weeks does seem to avoid the hive situation.. which i absolutely hate with a passion

i hate all the gluten free breads i've tried mainly cus they taste like hockey pucks ( Udi's brand is OK, but it horrible for sandwiches. when i do have it, i only eat it as toast with butter and jam). I bought a few gluten free cookbooks and will be making some gluten free biscuits soon. Whole Foods has a large selection of gluten free flour (even boxes of pre made gluten free flour). I would generally avoid their gluten free prepackaged gluten free stuff though because they seem to compensate with way more sugar than the normal.

My goal is to eventually start making some of the stuff that I miss.

@indyink i think you're right. Me having to eat yogurt is a small price to pay to avoid something else that can potentially kill me. Hot and itchy hives are no fun, especially when they leave you feeling like you've had an asthma attack.

ETA : i didnt notice that once I gave up gluten, I no longer had issues with things I thought i had problems with, namely dairy and beef.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Well, I personally had to get rid of it due to hormonal issues.
    I choose to follow a paleo diet.
  • Dawn1084
    Options
    I also have celiacs so I don't have a choice, the only real reason people should eat gluten free is if you have a sensitivity to it. It seems like it is becoming a popular "it thing to do" its not healthier than just eating clean whole grains. Its not lower calorie especially if you buy the gluten free products to replace regular it can actually be higher calorie. I don't get why people are doing it like its some kind of fad diet???

The people that have to do it don't think its as "glamorus" as society is making it out to be...... its actually a pain in the *kitten*!
  • hackett1171
    Options
    YES! take a probiotic not just acidophilus....get a really good one at the local natural food store I take kyo*dophilus for digestion and immune health
  • hackett1171
    Options
    I also have celiacs so I don't have a choice, the only real reason people should eat gluten free is if you have a sensitivity to it. It seems like it is becoming a popular "it thing to do" its not healthier than just eating clean whole grains. Its not lower calorie especially if you buy the gluten free products to replace regular it can actually be higher calorie. I don't get why people are doing it like its some kind of fad diet???

The people that have to do it don't think its as "glamorus" as society is making it out to be...... its actually a pain in the *kitten*!

I have a sensitivity and it is wreaking havoc on my intestines! I know it seems like the "FAD" thing to do but I need to.....

thanks
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I listened to a great podcast by a Dr Thomas O'Brien. He was explaining the difference between allergies, sensitivities and intolerances:

Allergy - to be classified as an allergy need to have an IgE reaction
    Sensitivity - is other Ig reactions
    Intolerance - Example Lactose Intolerance - Your body doesn't make the necessary enzyme Lactase to break down lactose so you can take supplemental enzymes.

Dr Thomas O'Brien believes that everyone with auto-immune conditions should be gluten free.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I don't think people are just going gluten-free to be part of the in crowd or whatever. A lot of folks feel better going grain or gluten-free. Its not just celiacs that benefit.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Chances are that such a reduction in gut flora is due to a reduction in prebiotics, not probiotics, since the average American gets 80% of prebiotics in the diet from wheat:

http://www.jacksongi.com/2011/prebiotics-and-the-gluten-free-diet/

If you simply replace gluten products (wheat bread) with gluten free products (bread made primarily of starches and sugars) you are shorting yourself on oligosaccharides/fibre - probiotics - that gut bacteria feed on. You are starving them.

So rather than replacing gluten-filled items with commercially prepared and processed gluten-free items, choose whole foods. Some good sources:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/361628-food-sources-of-prebiotics/
    http://anti-inflammatoryremarks.blogspot.com/2010/05/dietary-fiber-functions-and-benefits.html
    http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/article/Prebiotics

Just taking probiotics (acidophilus supplements, yogurt and cultured foods) won't do it - If there's nothing for them to eat, they're not going to survive and flourish.