Would You Log This?

Options
2»

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    If you are set as sedentary, these yes, any intentional exercise should be logged. And you want to eat those calories back as well.
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sorry, excuse my idiotism here but do you burn calories breastfeeding over what you would on day to day movement? Not really in the know about this type of thing due to being a man!
    lol yes you do. You are actively making milk while a baby is feeding. Producing it requires energy, in excess of what you would burn sitting whilst feeding. Someone who is exclusively breastfeeding can burn up to 650 calories a day. Most only require 450-500 while those who have started weaning will need fewer.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Definitely log the walking. Walking is great exercise and you're taking lengthy walks.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sorry, excuse my idiotism here but do you burn calories breastfeeding over what you would on day to day movement? Not really in the know about this type of thing due to being a man!

Yes, about 500 calories a day exclusively breastfeeding. Not making it up it's in any book you pick up on nursing. If you marry and have children you will certainly read such books, or if not read, hear about I'm sure. My husband is full of such trivia.
  • rachelsholiday
    rachelsholiday Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely log both! Breastfeeding is a great way to burn calories, and walking briskly with a stroller (those things are heavy) are both great exercise.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am with those that say log both. I too and a nursing mother. It is vital that you maintain the right amount of calories (all research I have done says to try to take in around 1800) otherwise you could deplete your milk supply or harm your body.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I log all of my walking that is intentional -- usually 3-5 miles a day. If I go by my Fitbit or a pedometer, though, it would say anywhere from 6-8 miles per day (at a minimum). The usual walking around, I don't count, but anything that is intentional I do. That being said, when I use the database here, and log 60 minutes at 3.0 mph on my treadmill, the calories used is quite a bit less than my treadmill indicates. I leave it as is, and figure I'm probably over on some of my calories so it all equals out in the end.
    Kaye
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    How would I log going for a 41min walk at 4mph whilst pushing a stroller? The stroller exercise ad doesn't have a speed on it?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    So you are logging "breastfeeding", but not logging a brisk walk of nearly an hour pushing a stroller? Don't take this the wrong way, but I think it should be the other way around.... =)

Wrong...

OP needs to eat a significant amount of extra calories for milk production. Moreso than that 60 min walk burns I'll bet you.

To OP: Yes, log your walks!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You do it or eat it... you log it :flowerforyou:
  • jamoises
    jamoises Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did WW when I was breastfeeding and was SHOCKED at how many more calories they say that need while feeding, it is actually more than when you are pregnant. I would def. include the breastfeeding as calories burned.
  • jknottage
    jknottage Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    exactly!!!

Log everything you input and output - plain and simple!