Can u lose without working out?

Options

Replies

• KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs without exercising at all. Now that i reached my goal, I am exercising because I did lose a LOT of muscle AND fat. I lost my first 40 lbs in 4 months so yes, it still comes off fast.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    People have lost weight through "dieting" for years.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you drop down below 1200 calories a day. I can't lose weight at 1200 (or more) unless I exercise.

Of course, if you're morbidly obese you can lose weight easily without much work, so diet alone might work in that scenario.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    <---wonders if the op is opposed to exercise for some reason?
  • VincyT
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to lose weight without exercise. It just won't be as healthy or as a quick a weight loss. However, even though I am not a good example because I'm just beginning an exercise program, I know that when I excercised before I felt better and more energetic. Anyway, good luck with your diet!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    A deficit of calories is all that is needed to lose weight.

Create your deficit however you wish, but that is the ONLY thing that is necessary.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are people who lose loads of weight without incorporating exercise into their new lifestyle. Personally, however, I could never stick to any meal/calorie plans until I started exercising. For me, at least, they go hand-in-hand.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I lose 20 lbs w/out working out. Just stayed under my daily calories. But I wasn't toning up so I started working out.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely possible to lose weight without working out. I had to stop working out for a few weeks after I pulled a muscle but I was still eating healthy and ended up still losing. As long as you create a calorie deficit, you will still lose weight. That being said, as others have mentioned, it's really important to eat healthy so that your body is getting all the nutrients it needs. And you should exercise if you can to get all the health benefits from that as well. It's not just about losing weight, it's about being healthy!
  • Bencribb
    Bencribb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you will lose weight, but not body fat. the scale will tell you a smaller number but you won't have the ideal "skinny" body.

Huh? "You will lose weight but not body fat?" Nonsense!

You could do NO exercise and lose weight. That being said, it is good to exercise but not at all necessary to lose weight.

I disagree, it's not non-sense. Evolutionary speaking, our body is very intelligent and keeping unneeded muscle around isn't beneficial to survival. Keeping stores of energy that cost nearly nothing is good. Those stores of energy would be fat.

If you don't exercise, you'll lose some bodyfat and a lot of muscle. In addition this, the flip side is true. If you have a higher muscle mass and use said muscle mass often, your body has no choice but to burn fat and not muscle. This and hormones is why guys generally find it "easier" to lose weight than girls.

The ratio is something like 70% body fat 30% lean muscle mass lost due to weight loss strictly from calorie deficit. Those ratios are most significantly modified by the amount of protein vs other stuff in your diet as well. It goes from about 40% body fat loss 60% lean muscle in a protein deprived diet, to 80% body fat, 20% muscle in a protein rich diet.

Exercise doesn't really "prevent" muscle loss, what it does it causes muscle growth. And you can grow your muscles faster than you are losing them if your diet has enough of the nutrients needed for lean muscle growth. While losing weight you will increase in muscle mass at the same rate you would while gaining weight, because of that net muscle loss.
  • neekz0r
    neekz0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    you will lose weight, but not body fat. the scale will tell you a smaller number but you won't have the ideal "skinny" body.

Huh? "You will lose weight but not body fat?" Nonsense!

You could do NO exercise and lose weight. That being said, it is good to exercise but not at all necessary to lose weight.

I disagree, it's not non-sense. Evolutionary speaking, our body is very intelligent and keeping unneeded muscle around isn't beneficial to survival. Keeping stores of energy that cost nearly nothing is good. Those stores of energy would be fat.

If you don't exercise, you'll lose some bodyfat and a lot of muscle. In addition this, the flip side is true. If you have a higher muscle mass and use said muscle mass often, your body has no choice but to burn fat and not muscle. This and hormones is why guys generally find it "easier" to lose weight than girls.

You can disagree but that doesn't change the fact that you can lose weight (FAT) without exercising. Change in your diet is all one needs for weight loss. I wasn't going into what is BEST for the body or why one should exercise. I agree it is great and I do it but not for weight loss.

There is more to body weight than just fat. There is bone mass, which is fairly difficult to increase or decrease, there is organ weight, again fairly difficult to increase or decrease, water weight, which is very easy to increase and decrease, and muscle weight which is easy to decrease and hard to increase.

Just because someone loses weight doesn't mean it's automatically fat. Our bodies are predisposed to losing the caloric expensive weight first; that'd be muscle.

So once again, yes, you can lose weight without exercising, but it'll be mostly muscle, not fat. In particular, women are usually way more prone to losing muscle than fat -- the whole "geared towards giving birth" thing kind of plays a number on their bodies. Because you lose muscle without exercise, you'll eventually plateau a lot quicker and see severe diminishing returns.

In short, I agree with you that you lose weight when you don't exercise, but I disagree with you that you lose fat when you don't exercise.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    The Answer would be "Yes" but something you mentioned that you don't eat the best of foods...So that would be something that you would need to change up...The majority of weightloss even with exercise is the foods....Try to incorporate nutrientional good foods... Sites are out there so you can eat somewhat the same but in a healthier way..>Skinnytaste.com is one of my favs...Good luck to you!
  • yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone or all your info! I just want you guys to know I do a little walking during the week and do at lease 30mins of dance five days a week. I am tryig to change my eating habits but it's hard when my husband doesn't want any healthy food. So making two different dinners frustrates me sometimes. Thanks again guys!
  • Sparkz1920
    Sparkz1920 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A deficit of calories is all that is needed to lose weight.

Create your deficit however you wish, but that is the ONLY thing that is necessary.

If that was the case I wouldn't have a friend who had a bypass and ate less with nasty fatty flab
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to lose weight without exercise. It just won't be as healthy

You're going to have to prove that "it won't be as healthy" with some solid evidence to support your claim.

or as a quick a weight loss.

Pretty incorrect here as well. If you're at a 500-700 calorie deficit (the most that most people's bodies can handle), you will lose weight. That doesn't require exercise. Period.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe scientists would call that diet-induced thermogenesis. Do a quick Google search and see what you come up with. I think it's, instead of eating 3 big meals a day you eat 6 small meals (less calories than the 3 big meals in total) a day and constantly sip water and chew your food veryyyyyyy slowly and very well.
  • challengeaccepted
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight. This is something I read somewhere online, can't remember where, I'm paraphrasing here, 'If you want to look good with your clothes on then change your diet, if you want to look good with your clothes off then lift some weights/exercise.'
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yup you definitely can. To me working out is going to the gym doing a good cardio routine followed by a weights program. You will leave the gym feeling amazing but might find it tough to make yourself go the three-four times a week you should. I am losing weight without going to the gym, i do excersise though. I walk to and from work (roughly an hours walk 5 times a week)... thats it. If this isn't an option for you just go for a short walk, leave your house put in your earphones and set an alarm for 30mins later. when the alarm goes off turn around and walk home. the next day see if you can get farther in the thirty mins but walk home at a relaxed pace. I think if you are not into working out this will be a much more sustainable routine than going to the gym. best wishes!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone or all your info! I just want you guys to know I do a little walking during the week and do at lease 30mins of dance five days a week. I am tryig to change my eating habits but it's hard when my husband doesn't want any healthy food. So making two different dinners frustrates me sometimes. Thanks again guys!

Well the hubby can eat what he is given or cook his own. Is he overweight?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Muscle is an unnecessary burden on the body in terms of calories. When dieting you need to give the body reason to hold onto it as it is a survival response to shed muscle and fat when calories are dropping.