Calories Burned

Options
Please help me understand. I put on my heart rate monitor this morning to see how many calories I burned all together throughout the day. It was 1,500 in 10 hours. I went to work out and burned 706 in 120 minutes. I am trying to lose weight, not gain.
Now, my question is; does the calories burned throughout my work day count on top of my workout calories?

Second question;
When I log in my food and calories burned on MFP, it says, I can eat more calories. I want to lose, not gain so, why is it telling me to eat more calories?

Help to understand both appreciated.

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    HRM's are not meant to be worn all day and they are not an accurate measure of total calories burned in a day. They are meant for cardio exercises
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    HRMs arent really made for wearing all day like that- so the numbers you got arent really accurate. if you want to do something like that youll need a bodymedia fit, or body bugg.
    however- those calories also wouldnt count toward exercise calories...they would be a part of your activity level settings. so already figured into your daily intake and no need to add them

its telling you to eat more calories because you dont want your deficit to get too big. MFP sets your deficit before exercise. so if you choose to lose a pound a week, thats 500 per day. if you exercise and burn 500 one day, that takes your deficit to 1000 for that day and in the long term you can do some damage to your body with too large a deficit. eat them! i always have and i lose just fine :)
  • mlemore1965
    mlemore1965 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you rockerbabyy, that was helpful.