Have Horrible Anxiety Need Help Fixing

Options
I Recently had an incident happen to me and caused to give me Horrible anxiety and havnt been able to cope with it much ive tried some meditation and that helped but wanna know if anyone else on here Deals with This every single day like i do.........my incident made me feel like i was dying

Replies

• odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from this, but I know people that do. I think you should definitely talk to your doctor about it. Good luck.
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from this, but I know people that do. I think you should definitely talk to your doctor about it. Good luck.

I went through this some in college...seems like nothing now compaired to what you are describing. I agree a Dr could help also meditation, excercise, and even prayer. Good luck to you!
  • Kelsbellz
    Kelsbellz Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Panic attacks make you feel like you are dying. The Dr. can prescribe Xanax or something to help get it under control.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I have suffered off and on for almost 15 years. When it first started I thought I was dying....911 was called on 2 occasions. I ended up seeing a therapist, meds.

Now that I've dealt with it for a long time, I have learned what trigger's it, it took a while to figure this out, someone you feel safe with talking to will help and don't be afraid to ask for help. Big hugs to you, I know exactly how you are feeling.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I have generalized anxiety disorder. You CAN feel better. See a doctor.
  • kimiebee
    kimiebee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have experienced anxiety and even had an attack publically. Seek help from your doctor or maybe find a counsellor! This can be overcome and managed. I still suffer mild anxiety, but no where near as bad. I wish you lots of luck.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i have a major anxiety disorder so i deal with these issues every day. every day i have a hot bath with lavender oil in it. i sit or lie in the tub and meditate or at least perform deep breathing rituals to try and relax. every day i take medication that my doctor prescribes to help me with the issues. every day i perform some kind of exercise no matter how much i don't want to- exercise can be a silver bullet for anxiety. i almost always feel better after exercise and the hot bath with breathing.

sometimes i have to take time-outs during my day. like if i am getting overloaded in my mind at work i just have to go for a walk away from everyone else. around the building i work in is usually enough, or down to the coffee shop for some water or a tea. sometimes i need to distract myself by reading, or listening to loud music, or going online to look at funny pictures. i'll go on mfp or facebook for a quick 10 minutes to see what people are up to. calms the mind and lets you refocus after.

that is all i can think of to tell you...horrible anxiety sometimes needs medical intervention, in addition to meds you still have to exercise and deep breath and meditate and take breaks.

oh yes and i see a therapist where i have learned about triggers and management of thinking.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    You might be better off seeing a counselor than a doctor first because the counselor can give you more ways to try and relieve the anxiety. If the non-medicated path doesn't work then the counselor would be able to tell you to seek out a doctor for something you could take either daily or when these episodes occur, depending on how bad it is.

I have General Anxiety Disorder, I've had it since I was in middle school, so I take medication. Doesn't take much to set me off sometimes, though.

Question though, do you have the anxiety at random or do the attacks come whenever you think or are reminded of the incident that caused it?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Get help!! You must talk to someone about this in order to cope. Things will get better but you absolutely need another person to help you. I've been there and if this has been going on for some time with you, help is the only way. You may even need medication to help with anxiety. I had nightmares for 6 mths after some 'stuff' I went through as an EMT and the only way I got better was to talk about it and to occasionally take medication. You can beat this!!!
  • rswood62
    rswood62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have had anxiety disorder for about 20 years which was triggered by an event that really scared me. But I actually do have a chemical imbalance and have to be on medication to balance the chemicals. I have been on several different meds over the years and all have helped greatly. I currently take Zoloft and rarely have any more attacks. If I do, I also have medicine called Ativan which helps to calm me down within half hour. If you are ever having an attack where you feel like you can't breathe or are hyperventilating, bunch up the top of a brown lunch bag and breathe in and out of the bag. It really helps alot - I used to have to carry a bag around in my purse when I first started having the anxiety. Feel free to ask me anything - hopefully I can help but you definitely should talk to your doctor
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I suffered a prolonged period of bad anxiety after getting caught up in a street shooting a number of years ago. Definitely get professional help. It may take time but the sooner you start, the sooner you can feel better and more able to cope.

Good luck.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My ex-wife had terrible anxiety, she also had a prolapse mitral valve. A prolapse of the mitral valve is very common (especially in women), and there is a link between the two. Her anxiety was at it's peak in her 20's, and has diminished since. I have read several resources on the subject looking for answers, and it seems that anxiety attacks become more frequent after a major attack. Reason: conscious anxiety. She used relaxation techniques upon initial onset to lessen the severity. One involves relaxing your facial muscles. I'm not too sure, but you may want to read up, and work with your Dr., to find a solution. Hopefully, it can be with no drugs. Xanax is an obstacle to being motivated to exercise.
  • crazy4him4552
    Options
    The day after I had knee surgery, I had what the doctor's call a panic attack. It scared the bejeebers out of me. My heart started beating really weird. Really slow, then really fast. My palms would sweat and I just felt like something was totally not right. I guess at the time, I was wondering if I had got a blood clot in my leg because I was thinking about the stupid stocking that they put on your leg to keep you from getting a blood clot. I normally never freak out about anything. I guess you could say, I'm the opposite. Not that all my answers to life are "whatever" or anything like that, but I really don't panic about anything. I went to the ER, then to my Cardiologist because I have a Mitral Valve Prolapse. All tests came back normal. I knew something wasn't right, but within a few days all symptoms went away. I ended up going to my regular doctor because they eventually returned. One week, I had an attack every day. It was crazy. I absolutely hated the feeling. Like I was losing it, or something. I ended up being prescribed, xanax. I really hated taking it because of all the side-effects, and the potential of addiction, but truthfully, they did help. I've not had one in a month. Praise God for that. :-) I'm a person who believes in the power of prayer. God has done some amazing things in my life, and I'm leaning on His word. He doesn't give us a spirit of fear. Or one of anxiety. I have to claim His promises daily. I will lift you up in prayer too. :-)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    My ex-wife had terrible anxiety, she also had a prolapse mitral valve. A prolapse of the mitral valve is very common (especially in women), and there is a link between the two. Her anxiety was at it's peak in her 20's, and has diminished since. I have read several resources on the subject looking for answers, and it seems that anxiety attacks become more frequent after a major attack. Reason: conscious anxiety. She used relaxation techniques upon initial onset to lessen the severity. One involves relaxing your facial muscles. I'm not too sure, but you may want to read up, and work with your Dr., to find a solution. Hopefully, it can be with no drugs. Xanax is an obstacle to being motivated to exercise.

Coming from someone who takes four .5mg Xanax a day, I'd have to disagree with that last statement. Medication is not always the best route especially if it's not something severe that can be dealt with by a few months in therapy, but it's not a hindrance either as long as you do your research and know the possible side effects. No doctor can make you take a drug that you are not comfortable taking or have bad reactions to. At least, no doctor with any credibility.
  • bubblie117
    bubblie117 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have panic disorder, and panic attacks definitely make you feel like dying. You need to go see a doctor. If you don't want medication, then at least get some counseling, it really does help and there is no shame in it. Medication also helps as well, but I know everyone doesn't want to take that route. Good luck!
  • xXKatrinaXx
    xXKatrinaXx Posts: 234
    Options

Coming from someone who takes four .5mg Xanax a day, I'd have to disagree with that last statement. Medication is not always the best route especially if it's not something severe that can be dealt with by a few months in therapy, but it's not a hindrance either as long as you do your research and know the possible side effects. No doctor can make you take a drug that you are not comfortable taking or have bad reactions to. At least, no doctor with any credibility.

I take xanax too...it has never been an obstacle for me excersizing. I work out a lot and am very active. It varies how much I take it though. 2 Days ago I had a bad anxietic day and had to take .5 3 times. Today only once. Sometimes i can go a few days without anxiety and dont have to take any.

I would definetly see a doctor. I see my family practitioner. Having anxiety meds makes me feel so much better for when those bad anxiety attacks come!
  • gantonishek
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having such aweful anxiety. I work as a counselor dealing with people who have anxiety on a daily basis. Medications are available for severe cases but often anxiety can be dealt with behaviorally and medications may not be needed. Hopefully you have access to a well recommended counselor who works with anxiety patients. Good luck..
  • roadworthy
    roadworthy Posts: 130
    Options
    I would seek help for sure. I had my first panic attack a few years ago and I do know how you felt. I was very afraid and then paranoid. My father had serious anxiety problems while I was a child so I at least had an idea of what was happening to me. I saw my doctor, he said that sometimes they will pass withouth needing medication and that hopefully I wouldn't see many more. I have had about 5 in my adulthood so it's manageable. I think that half the trick to beating them is having them diagnosed, I literally felt like I was dying and having my doctor confirm what I thought really helped...

For example...One day I was driving along the highway. I had my family with me...this odd sense took over and I felt my heart pounding, I widened my eyes the best I could but I could not shake it. My immediate response would have been to pull over and tell my hubby he had to drive BUT I knew if I did that the anxiety had won. I told myself to settle, firmly. I also told myself that my children would never live what I did (we couldn't even travel or go to stores as a family). Since that day I thankfully have not had another. I am not at all against using medication, I just am stubborn and want to try everything else first. I do listen to some self meditation type sounds when needed at night.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Look for a therapist who specializes in trauma treatment - the sooner the better. I lived with trauma reaction symptoms for years, unaware of the cause let alone that I could be helped. There are various treatment approaches depending on your situation. For myself, I've found EMDR to be the most effective.

Since these therapists are particularly oriented towards healing trauma you might try searching here: http://www.emdria.org/
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The day after I had knee surgery, I had what the doctor's call a panic attack. It scared the bejeebers out of me. My heart started beating really weird. Really slow, then really fast. My palms would sweat and I just felt like something was totally not right. I guess at the time, I was wondering if I had got a blood clot in my leg because I was thinking about the stupid stocking that they put on your leg to keep you from getting a blood clot. I normally never freak out about anything. I guess you could say, I'm the opposite. Not that all my answers to life are "whatever" or anything like that, but I really don't panic about anything. I went to the ER, then to my Cardiologist because I have a Mitral Valve Prolapse. All tests came back normal. I knew something wasn't right, but within a few days all symptoms went away. I ended up going to my regular doctor because they eventually returned. One week, I had an attack every day. It was crazy. I absolutely hated the feeling. Like I was losing it, or something. I ended up being prescribed, xanax. I really hated taking it because of all the side-effects, and the potential of addiction, but truthfully, they did help. I've not had one in a month. Praise God for that. :-) I'm a person who believes in the power of prayer. God has done some amazing things in my life, and I'm leaning on His word. He doesn't give us a spirit of fear. Or one of anxiety. I have to claim His promises daily. I will lift you up in prayer too. :-)
    Just curious? Have you ever heard of the mitral valve prolapse connection to anxiety attacks?

Just curious? Have you ever heard of the mitral valve prolapse connection to anxiety attacks?