Bread and Carbs

Options
Lately I've noticed that I've been going over my carbohydrate intake for the day. I think the root cause of this is bread, so does anyone have suggestions about the types of bread or bread alternatives I can eat? Keep in mind that I'm a college student on a budget.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is no rule that you have to eat bread. I eat very little bread anymore. when I do, I eat ezekial 4.9 cinnamon raisin bread.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Replace "bread" with "vegetables".
  • Jenna1971
    Jenna1971 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have replaced some of the bread with Bagel things - great for breakfast and good with sandwiches.....
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The flat round breads are very good. I think Arnold's is the name brand. I've found them at Sam's and Walmart, as well as my local grocery store. You can get them in a variety or different types of grains...whole grains are better for digestion and keeping your sugar levels consistent...they are 100 calories each. My "white bread only" husband switched and now he doesn't want anything else for his lunches. He's not dieting and has lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks. MEN!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Try sprouted grain breads, like Ezekiel. It's easier to digest than most other breads.

Unless you're gluten sensitive/intolerant you don't need to eliminate it. I can't have it because I'm allergic to the yeast!
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    there is no rule that you have to eat bread. I eat very little bread anymore. when I do, I eat ezekial 4.9 cinnamon raisin bread.

Ezekiel bread is awesome, but expensive. But I do agree with you.
  • Kattaway
    Kattaway Posts: 61
    Options
    I have eliminated breads all together BUT when I do want something like a soft taco I will eat a low carb whole grain tortilla.I think I pay $3.49 for a pack of 8 tortillas.
  • dotmertsky
    Options
    I eat either Pepperidge Farms Whole Wheat Deli Flats for sandwiches and also Whole Wheat or multi grain breads and then only make a sandwich with only 1 slice. Try to replace the bread with veggies and fruits,
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps or lunch meat rolled around some cheese work as good substitutes for sandwiches.
  • TheMistressofMayhem
    Options
    Thanks guys, but I don't think I'm going to cut bread out all together - I was looking for healthier options, which some of you offered. Thanks!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I understand... I have two (actually 3) kids in college.
    If you must eat bread, choose whole grain over white. Try to keep it to 2 slices a day. Stay away from other refined carbs.
    Add veggies and fruits...but more veggies than fruits. Have plenty of lean protein. Enjoy some nuts and seeds but keep them as close to their natural state as possible...not dry roasted stuff as it adds too much salt which aids in weight gain.

Good luck hon.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my bread eating to a minimum. I don't tell myself I can never have bread again because that would not be something I could maintain for life. But I do try to allow myself to eat bread only when it is very high quality. We have a fabulous independent bakery here where I live. It is called Breadfarm. If I come across their breads I will eat a piece and savor it.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I eat whole wheat bread, and one slice a day max. Instead of two slices for a sandwich, do an open-face sandwich with only one slice. Better yet, if you can use lettuce wraps or tortilla wraps instead of bread-and never eat bread as a side dish.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The healthier breads are not necessarily going to be lower in carbs. So just eat the bread you can afford and like for lunch and the rest of the time eat more protein and low carb vegies.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The healthier breads are not necessarily going to be lower in carbs.

True, but if someone's eating "bread" like wonder or buttertop, they're basically eating carbohydrate air that isn't very filling or nutritious.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The healthier breads are not necessarily going to be lower in carbs.

True, but if someone's eating "bread" like wonder or buttertop, they're basically eating carbohydrate air that isn't very filling or nutritious.

I hope no-one is eating wonder or buttertop but yeh agree.