Running: Does this happen to you?

Options
I don't usually run for more than 3-4 minute increments. However, today I decided to run- walked 20/ then ran 16. I felt a lot of pain in my chest that continued for about 30 minutes afterwards. Also, the instant I stopped running I had this weird sensation come over the top half of my body. It felt like a spasm of heat and pressure?

I'm asking on here because I figured there is probably someone who has experienced the same thing. I searched on Google, but the only thing I found was that I may not be breathing correctly. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. :)

Replies

• Kendrawinn
    Kendrawinn Posts: 160
    Options
    It used to happen to me when I first started running. I don't know why it happens but it goes away.... eventually. Sorry I could not help more.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i have this problem too, with a little trouble fully filling my lungs after about 15 minutes of running. i thought it was asthma, but no doctor will give me an inhaler for some reason, so i guess they don't think i have that... i don't know what else to tell you... sorry.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you are getting pain in your chest I would definitely not recommend doing this again. Whether it be from your heart or lungs, it sounds like you are doing way too much. Do you have any syndromes or disorders? Might want to get a EKG done before you continue down this road.
  • olenacolwill
    Options
    I sometimes get wierd pains from jogging. I havent jogged in a while however. I would guess that you 'shocked' your body by doing so much more than what you are used to. Maybe slow down if you are going to go that long.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have this problem so I had an EKG done but it was normal. I think I'm just really out of shape, it took longer for that to happen when I was in better shape in my figure skating years, but I've always been rather weak.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Are you on a treadmill or outdoors? Also do you have a heart rate monitor? The chest pains may have been a sign of over doing it. I know I can be light headed and slightly disorintated when I get off the tread mill, sprinting my heart out and actually not going anywhere is kind of weird.... But I'm worried you may be over exerting yourself if you're having chest pains. Some people report side pains, which is called pluralsy (sp?)

If these continue next time you run, you may get a check out from a doctor, a lot of people don't get checked out before beginning intensive exercise. Also jumping from 4 min to 20 min of running is quite a steep curve for your body. Try added 2-3 min incrementally as each becomes easier.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    How hard do you think you were running?
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    If you are getting pain in your chest I would definitely not recommend doing this again. Whether it be from your heart or lungs, it sounds like you are doing way too much. Do you have any syndromes or disorders? Might want to get a EKG done before you continue down this road.

Thank you, I will definitely consider that. I don't have any disorders that I know of!
  • charlotte2025
    Options
    Get it checked out! I would get a physical by my primary. Maybe see a cardiologist. Unusual chest pain/pressure is not normal and can be a symptom of an underlying problem.

Then again, you quadrupled your running and may not be used to the work. Progress slowly. Get used to checking your pulse so you can get a feel of your rhythm. When you push yourself and notice an unusual heart rate, then I would definitely seek professional advise.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    when I start going a little bit farther I get a bit of pain in my lungs, but since I've been taking it slow (with c25k) it hasn't been happening. Maybe it's a sign your body isn't ready for what you're trying to get it to do. Slow it down a bit, progress gradually.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It is probably from breathing too hard. It may be a good idea to see a doc and get an ECG or stress test. I have a pacemaker since i have a genetic heart defect, I run but this does not happen to me. I am no doc but either slow it down or see a doc plz.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    Are you on a treadmill or outdoors? Also do you have a heart rate monitor? The chest pains may have been a sign of over doing it. I know I can be light headed and slightly disorintated when I get off the tread mill, sprinting my heart out and actually not going anywhere is kind of weird.... But I'm worried you may be over exerting yourself if you're having chest pains. Some people report side pains, which is called pluralsy (sp?)

If these continue next time you run, you may get a check out from a doctor, a lot of people don't get checked out before beginning intensive exercise. Also jumping from 4 min to 20 min of running is quite a steep curve for your body. Try added 2-3 min incrementally as each becomes easier.

I was on a treadmill, and it does have a heart rate monitor built in. One bit of information that might be helpful- when I stopped running I continuted to walk at 3.2 mph on incline for 5 mins- I checked my heart rate. It was 188. 188 at walking that slow? It seemed a little off. No side pains at all. :)
  • ClaytonRosa
    Options
    I think it's just that the jump, as earlier mentioned, was too dramatic. Going from 4 min to 20 min is a 500% increase.

Train the heart like any other muscle. That kind of increase is like going from curling 10 lbs to 50 lbs.

I'd recommend building it slowly and incrementally. Go to 6 minutes for a few days, then try 10 minutes jogging straight. Once comfortable, add some more minutes. Slowly but surely you'll build your endurance to sustain longer runs.

Hope this helps! :)
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Chest pain is a very serious thing. It is not normal to feel what you did. Pace yourself and work slowly up to those higher running times. Stop immediately when you feel pain, but if it happens again you really need to go get checked out. I wouldn't worry about it too much since you said you know you overdid it.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options

I was running 6 mph. Seems pretty light?
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

Is that fairly normal for you? The pain in the chest can be attributed to running much harder than normal.

Any health issues?
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options

Is that fairly normal for you? The pain in the chest can be attributed to running much harder than normal.

Any health issues?

Yes, that's fairly normal for me. No physical health issues. Recently been having panic attacks/ stress.. but I'm not sure if that would effect my running. I'll just chalk it up to over doing it. I'll just have to be more careful next time!