working out at home and shoes?

Options
Krohnie
Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
What do you guys wear for shoes, if any, while you are working out at home? I did my first day of insanity with my running shoes on, while on carpet at home. My feet hurt SO badly, my arches almost couldn't stand it! So the next few times I've done it with out my shoes on. When I did 30 ds, I did it on carpet without shoes and ended up with super shin splints. Just wondering what I should do. Maybe actual cross training shoes would be good? do they provide more arch support than running shoes? I love my running shoes for running, and don't really have high arches, but my feet do tend to pronate. What do you think? Thanks!!

Replies

• Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I used my Asics running shows when I did Insanity and other workout videos at home. I didn't experience too much pain on my feet. I find it hard to do it barefoot. Too slippery.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What about vibram? Or, I saw tonite at the mall that Fila has their own style of those out now, too. I really want to look into those. I use my Adidas running shoes when working out. The only place I work out is at home. Barefoot is too slippery, since we don't have carpeting.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    When I workout at home I mainly go barefoot... That being said, I was fitted recently for a good pair of Asics running shoes that I use for my outdoor running. As well I have a pair of nike cross trainers for my aerobics classes or when I workout at a gym.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i have to wear shoes. i spill and fall if i don't. i use the same boring shoes i wear everyday.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    I wear my running shoes...
    I did Insanity as well, and my arches would just cramp up like crazy at first...I found that by guzzling water before I started it seemed to help a lot.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    I have tried them all and asics is the best for me.

plus if you tend to roll toward the outside of the foot, asics will help you to keep your foot upright and perpendicular to the floor!

I have weak ankles from being overweight and that foot wants roll out and keep on rolling.

I feel much safer in Asics, properly balanced.

But I did have a question about foot stuff. Do any of y'all use those Scholl's inserts that cost around fifty dollars a pair? How is that working out for you regarding exercising. well...basically walking briskly....?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    when i did 30ds i did it barefoot on carpet in my basement... i tried using shoes a couple times and didnt like it. ive done a few other Jillian DVDs and always do them barefoot.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity at home barefoot on carpet. Works for me. Running shoes would definitely be no for that kind of workout. Go with cross-trainers if you want to wear shoes. I am intrigued about the Vibrams.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    barefoot on a mat which cushions my jumping around pretty well, too. i do power 90. those vibrams do look interesting.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have planter fasciitis so I have to wear shoes doing Insanity. I have a pair of brooks running shoes that have saved me from quitting insanity completely. I have been doing it over a month. I am betting ur pain is from the jumping, etc. stretch more. Mostly ur legs/calves... I have that song in my head now... Your foot done is connected to ur ankle bone :)

Maybe u need to ease into insanity by doing it every other day instead of very day.
  • Chubacca007
    Options
    You should look into getting a pair of Vibrams "shoes". They essentially simulate barefoot exercising/running but give your feet protection from rocks, pebbles, glass etc. I've read that it has helped people with shin splints. Before, my feet would hurt after standing for a long time in regular running shoes. I don't have that problem anymore after I started working out in Vibrams. Just look into barefoot running/exercising, it may be something that's for you.

But if you primarily work out at home then perhaps you could just put on a pair of socks.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i just got these really cool shoes that are merrells. but with they vibram soles. they are on clearance at rei.com online. i don't know if i am allowed to link here but i will give you the name and the link and see what happens :-)

merrell lithe glove cross training shoe- women i have had mine less than a week but i LOVE them already! they get good reviews. i did the treadmill in them, elliptical, just hung out in them. done a p90x work out in them, and a couple TurboFire work outs too. they run pretty true to size. i bought my size and they will be great barefoot and with socks!

the other shoes i use for working out at home are my nike shox. i personally like them, but i know they hurt a lot of people's feet and they don't get the best reviews. they run small.

http://www.rei.com/product/817612/merrell-lithe-glove-cross-training-shoes-womens
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    For Insanity I use Vibram FiveFingers... they are amazing. I have knee problems, and can't make it through an Insanity workout with regular shoes, but had no problems with the Vibrams (actually ended up getting an insanely good calf workout since I apparently ended up using my calves to absorb the force of landing during the plyo portions).

Barefoot for everything else! :)
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i have felt way more of my work outs in my calves since wearing these merrells with the vibram soles. i thought it was just me and the way i was working out........ i'm glad to know it's NOT just me!!!
    For Insanity I use Vibram FiveFingers... they are amazing. I have knee problems, and can't make it through an Insanity workout with regular shoes, but had no problems with the Vibrams (actually ended up getting an insanely good calf workout since I apparently ended up using my calves to absorb the force of landing during the plyo portions).

Barefoot for everything else! :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My running shoes killed me when attempting indoor workouts, so I got some cross-training shoes with lateral support for sideways motion like jumping jacks and that improved matters no end.