Attn Road bikers and Triathlon athletes

Options
I am looking to add onto my new road bike. Can anyone tell me some preferred brands/types of: Patch kits, pumps (the ones that go on the bike), water bottle racks, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• mshapiro32937
    mshapiro32937 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi aqua,

Don't bother with a patch kit - you don't want to be fixing a tube by the side of the road. Carry an extra tube and a CO2 inflater in a seat bag. Make sure you know how to use the inflater (might want to practice at least once).
    If you want you can carry a micro pump in case you missfire the inflater. But for backup it's better to carry a cell phone.
    I also recommend Continental GP4000 tires as you're much less likely to get a flat in the first place.

Mike
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I hear there are different types of CO2 inflators, some easier than others. Any kind you find to be best?
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Also - its one thing to know what they are - but another to know how to use them. If you go out by yourself, make sure you know how to change a flat on your own.
    Almost any bike shop has a quick 1hr course on how to change it. - or just smile pretty and ask them to show you. (for some reason only chicks can get away w/ that!)

Also - get a RoadID band. It has all your contact info on it - just in case something bad ever happens.
    Plus it doubles as a band for your race chip!
  • mshapiro32937
    mshapiro32937 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are some that are just a spring loaded nozzle that screws onto the canister. I like these the best as they are the most compact. You screw the canister into it to pierce the seal and then place it over the (opened) valve and squeeze it down and it will release the gas into the tube and fill it in one second. The canister will get very cold, so best to hold it in a gloved hand. Best to get a few extra and practice ahead of time so you'll be confident you can make it work.
    Also make sure you practice putting a new tube in and reseating the tire. Getting the tire back on isn't always the easiest and some brands are harder than others. A newer tire is usually harder to get back on. You have to be very careful not to damage the replacement tube when you install it on the road. If you only have one and you damage it then you're in trouble unless you're riding with a friend who has another.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Honestly, from my limited experience buying DH stuff for his tri bike, there are lots of options for water bottle holders, CO2 holders, bags for holding spare tubes, etc. A lot of it depends on the type of bike frame you are dealing with (carbon or aluminum, for one, geometry for another). You might be best off taking a peek at a good shop and see what you like and what will fit your bike. If you are running aero bars (I know you said road bike but didn't know if you were leaning towards tri stuff), you end up with more options than I could believe for sticking things on a bike. LOL!

For changing tires, although some will say you don't need tire levers, personally I don't seem to have enough hand strength to get the last bit on without at least one lever. YMMV, but be sure to try it, as others have said, before you actually need to do it.