Haunted by my Lost Fat

Options
Anyone else still feel like their old weight sometimes after significant weight loss? Sometimes I dread putting on clothes that used to not fit me only to find they're too big, or I'll feel "fat" and when I touch my stomach, I am still smaller. I feel like I can't kick the mentality I had when I was heavier.. Anyone else have this???? Does it go away?

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm still 40 lbs heavier, where I started, most of the time. I can see my face is thinner, and I have these lightbulb moments where I realize I'm crossing my legs and they aren't forming a table, but it doesn't seem real. I've been very overweight most of my life, so I'm thinking it's going to take a while to realize I'm in a normal range.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    yes it is hard to get used to for me, I have only lost 21 pounds so far, but all my clothes are too big, and everytime I go in my closet Im afraid they won't fit! My husband tells me I need new pants , and I just can't wrap my head around it, I am afraid to go to a smaller size, fearing they will not fit. I guess i just need to get used to trying on clothes, because I haven't shopped in a long time! :wink:
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It something that a lot of people deal with, I know I do. I am sometimes surprised by my own reflection. When I am shopping for clothes, I continue to pick up things that are many sizes too big.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    YES! I was just thinking this morning as I was dressing, "if I'm wearing size S, why does it still feel like I'm an XXL?"

I don't know if it'll ever go away... but I could only dream of being as smokin' as you! o.O You look great!
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was fat and out of shape for many years. I still feel like my old self some days like you said. Totally normal. Those feelings will get less frequent as time goes on. You may also have to pinch yourself when you do some great workout that you never thought you could do. I turn those feelings into motivation. It's your new life waving goodbye to the old!
  • kimiebee
    kimiebee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!!! I still "feel" fat...even tho I have now dropped down a size...I go into the dressing rooms with the larger clothes only to come back out and get the next size down. Still can't think thin or feel it...Does it ever go away? I also have to get used to trying on clothes and not being disgusted by what I see in the dressing room mirror
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm still adjusting to that too. There's a lot of shirts I never reach for cuz they didn't used to fit... Now they do. Also still feel weird putting my hand on my side or stomach, as my love handles are gone and my tummy is largely flat now, just feels like I'm touching someone else haha
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is what I call 'Phantom Weight'.

I once saw this documentary about people who lose limbs and even though their hand/foot/anything is completely gone, they still feel a 'phantom appendage' like it's still there or something.

I totally believe that this would be similar to having extra fat. I think it does depend on how long the person has carried the weight, but for me over the last 5 years I've been well into 110-115kg's.
    I've lost 20kg's and I for a long time I would still feel like I was that heavy. I would refrain from sitting in the middle seat of benches because I still thought I was too big for them.
    After a while I just said 'screw it' and gave it a shot. Lo and behold, I FIT IN FINE :D

The weight might be gone, but the phantom weight still lingers in the mind. Give it time and you'll find that it'll pass :D
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I 100% feel that way!! I sure hope it goes away eventually..... Maybe we need to talk ourselves into it? I dunno but it sucks. And I hate when people compliment me and say I'm looking skinny. My brain tells me I've lost a ton of weight, my eyes just don't see it yet.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I completely understand, as I feel the same way. It's hard for me to "see" what other people see when they look at me because for the most part I still feel like the person in my before picture. It's a really difficult mental change for me to deal with.