workout calories..to eat or not to eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat at least a portion of my workout calories back, I feel like passing out. The body needs the fuel.
  • Angieee17
    Angieee17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat them back, but I do use them as a cushion once in a while for situations like: having dessert or ordering a margarita with dinner.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that if you are not supposed to go under 1200 calories cause your body will think its starving then it makes sense to eat back what you expend,

if your body needs 1200 calories just to breath and do it's BASIC functions, then lets say you only eat 1200, but you work out and burn 300 calories well then your body only has 900 to work on, and then says hey were starving down here, triggering your brain to hold on to fat cause it thinks it will not have food for a while.

makes sense to me, don't starve your self, you will mess up your metabolism, and excersize isn't just for loosing weight its to get muslces and be healthy, get the blood flowing and all that good stuff
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    When you first set up your goals, MFP sets your daily calorie goal based on diet ONLY, no exercise. It creates a diet-only deficient.

When you exercise, you may create a larger calorie deficient than is considered healthy for steady weight loss. MFP wants you to eat back those exercise calories because you need to stay in a proper deficient range. Enough fuel for your workouts, but an overall deficient to lose weight (fat).

As long as you set your MFP goal to some sort of loss a week, you already have a deficient. That's how you'll lose weight. Eating your exercise calories keeps you at a deficient MFP considers best for weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390145-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I started with a goal of 1200 calories a day and I was not exercising. One thing at a time was my thinking. So now that I feel that I have more of a handle on my food intake and getting used to eating reasonable portions (I lost 18 lbs that way), I have introduced exercise. I'm currently swimming for an hour a day. It's not vigorous, I'm working up to that but it is a solid hour. According to MFP I can have about 800 more calories. I feel like I'm just pigging out, and I haven't lost any weight now for 2 weeks. I'm not even eating all the calories, only about a half or maybe two thirds. So it doesn't seem to be working so well at the moment. Is my body adjusting to this? I just feel like I'm eating too much, (and, no, it's not junk food). I had almost 100 pounds to lose so we're not talking about trying to shed a small amount, I know it gets slower as one gets closer to ones goal. So what is the answer? Anybody with any insight to this scenario? Thanksalot.
  • blytheandbonnie
    Options
    bump
  • blytheandbonnie
    Options
    Bump again...really wanting some replies...thanksalot
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I started with a goal of 1200 calories a day and I was not exercising. One thing at a time was my thinking. So now that I feel that I have more of a handle on my food intake and getting used to eating reasonable portions (I lost 18 lbs that way), I have introduced exercise. I'm currently swimming for an hour a day. It's not vigorous, I'm working up to that but it is a solid hour. According to MFP I can have about 800 more calories. I feel like I'm just pigging out, and I haven't lost any weight now for 2 weeks. I'm not even eating all the calories, only about a half or maybe two thirds. So it doesn't seem to be working so well at the moment. Is my body adjusting to this? I just feel like I'm eating too much, (and, no, it's not junk food). I had almost 100 pounds to lose so we're not talking about trying to shed a small amount, I know it gets slower as one gets closer to ones goal. So what is the answer? Anybody with any insight to this scenario? Thanksalot.
    i started with a goal of 1200 my first time around - i didnt exercise much, and when i did i didnt eat my exercise calories, at the time i had over 100 lbs to lose. i gave up not long into it because i was always starving and felt like a failure.
    next time around i upped my calories to 1400 and still felt hungry a lot, so i upped to 1550. i also started eating my exercise calories.. i bought a HRM to be more accurate and ate every single one of them. i was losing 2 lbs a week or so but then i wanted to start adding strength training to make sure i was losing fat and not muscle..so i went to once a month weigh ins and bumped my calories up to my BMR. so i eat 1845 + exercise cals... in feb i lost about a pound a week, and i actually did a crappy job with my diet and exercise.
    i would say your body is still adjusting - it can take a month for it to figure things out. try getting a hrm - i know there are some that work well in water..even though youre not eating all of your exercise calories right now, it wouldnt hurt to be ore accurate.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

When we exercise, and particularly if we're new to it or changing things up a bit, our muscles often retain fluid while the muscles repair themselves. That fluid retention can show as a gain or stall on the scale. It's normal and common... and TEMPORARY. Keep on plugging, have faith in the process, and take measurements and photos as an additional way to gauge your progress.