bicycle brands

Options
2»

Replies

• Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting a good fitting bike. In your price range though, you will be hard pressed to find trouble free smooth components. Get fitted and look used, get the best components you can. There is nothing worse than a poor shifting bike. Perhaps consider a single speed bike as well if your commute is on the flat side. Good luck!
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cannondale makes some really good hybrid bikes. Lots of decent equipment comes stock. A good buy.
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    i bought my trek off of craigslist for $250.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I have a Specialized mountain bike and a Bianchi road bike... To echo everyone else, you really just need to find a bike that fits you (length of leg and body (reach) considered) what position is most comfortable for you (do you prefer to be more upright or to lean further forward) and then also looking at the durability of the bike. To be frank, you're not going to find a good, durable, properly fitting bike for a few hundred bucks.

I would recommend going in and getting fitted for a bike. Take a few test rides and then take what you learn there to a local bike swap, bike expo, Re-cycle (place that does used cycles) craigslist etc and look at a used bike. I just found my Bianchi at the Seattle Bike Swap for $400. I'll need to get a tune-up ($60) and a new saddle ($50) and I'll have a perfect bike.

My bf is a big guy and he too loves his Specialized Rock Hopper for offroad (he dropped over a grand on that bad mammajamma) but he has a Raleigh for his road bike...

Again get fitted- it's the most important part.
  • Jzslim
    Jzslim Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I ride a giant sedona,I got it three years ago when i was about 315LBS. I have ridden the bike up to 25 miles I liked it so much we got 2 for the wife and 1 for each of my daughters.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    After retiring my ancient Sekine 10-speed my first foray into modern bikes was a Marin hybrid commuter bike, after riding a metric century on it I picked up a Giant road bike which is now my #1

Shop around, you'll find different manufacturers will have slightly different frame geometries which will affect your comfort.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely get a bike fitted specifically for you. When I went to buy my first "real" bike, I tried out a Trek, and they told me it didn't fit me. I ended up with a Specialized, and I LOVE it. It's like heaven. Find someone who is knowledgeable who can help, and most importantly enjoy your new bike!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i don't know what is in that price range but i want to echo the TREK. i got a gary fisher mamba, 29er, which is now a gary fisher collection/ trek model and i LOVE IT!!! it's more than you want to spend. but it's a truly amazing bike, and i would guess that a lot of the TREKs are.........
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My sons have Specialized Rockhopper and Specialized CrossTrail. Both are terrific bikes with good components ("Comp" versions).
    Not cheap but you may find a second hand one.
    I have a steel framed Raleigh Amazon - 20 years old, good components for its time, comfy and never any problems - these go for £60-£100 on e-BAY (absolute bargain).
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a Trek-Gary Fisher-Wahoo 29er. Totally recommend it! It will suit a big guy!