Can anyone recommend a decent (reasonably priced) HRM that m

Options
I'm pretty new to here and even newer to exercise but have been going to zumba classes and doing GM 30 day shred and would love to know how many calories I am burning when I exercise.

I was thinking of getting a HRM but there are so many to choose from and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I don't really want to pay a lot of money (I've seen ones upwards of £100 quid!!!) I don't really need it to do a lot, just tell me when I'm in a fat burning zone and what calories i burned.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Claire

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it does what I need it to do. I got it for around $60 on Amazon.
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    forgot to add that buying my HRM is my reward for reaching my first mini goal of 20lbs loss - a quarter of my total weightloss aim. (in the past when i was doing well losing weight, I usually went out for a slap up meal or had a tub of hagendaz or something equallly stupid - shows how much my attitude and focus has changed thanks to MFP)
  • Claire594
    Options
    Bump *
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it does what I need it to do. I got it for around $60 on Amazon.

I have the same one and love it.
  • smbkrn
    smbkrn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it as well. Please notice the theme that everyone who has posted has a Polar. They are the best HR monitors on the market.
  • Claire594
    Options
    Thanks for the advice
  • whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I have the same one and love it.

Same here!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it as well. Please notice the theme that everyone who has posted has a Polar. They are the best HR monitors on the market.

I've got Polar FT7 as well - it is fantastic............
  • christinerush
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 also and love it and its waterproof so you can swim or walk in the rain with it! I paid $129 AU but as others have said, you can get them online much cheaper! :smile:
  • Dove954
    Dove954 Posts: 26
    Options

I have the same. It does the job.
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What about fitbit guys? I don't know anyone on MFP who has used it yet or has given a good review on this product seeing as its synced with MFP!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Yup FT4 here too, got it from Amazon.co.uk for about £60 a month or so ago, well worth the money!
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 (but the FT4 is the cheaper model and is also meant to be good, as mentioned above) x
  • Urwin123
    Urwin123 Posts: 10
    Options
    If you're in the UK- http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-watch-and-heart-rate-monitor-35281

On offer at £12.99 plus delivery. It's not going to be a accurate as more expensive hrms but takes your info-height, weight, age, vo2max and seems to be working fine for me! I've lost 22lb since beginning of January :-)
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love my Sigma Onyx HRM. It's £38.23 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-Onyx-Balance-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000W45GE4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330591768&sr=8-2) and comes with the chest strap so you don't have to buy it separately (I think Garmin are the worst for that kind of thing!) and it's waterproof so you can swim with it on. It tells you time, number of calories, average heart rate and you can also have the actual time showing - whichever of those you have on the screen you also have your heart rate. It's easy to set up and make adjustments to the settings. You can have a beep to tell you when you go into and out of your target heart rate too but I don't tend to bother with that.

Hope you find one you like!
  • crazylikefox
    Options
    I just bought one recently and I highly suggest you get one with the chest strap and NOT just the watch thingie. I bought the Polar FT4 and I absolutely love being able to know the data behind my workout. I don't like how clunky the watch is so I just put it in my pocket and it works fine. Plus my main workout is Kung Fu class, and you can't wear a watch during that.
  • Claire594
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks I'll have a look at some of your recomendations