How do you NOT start to obsess about your logs?

Options
Looking at my food and excersize logs everyday its an amazement that the entire united states isnt obese. The amount of calories in even a tiny piece of food is way more than at first percieved. I've cut back, started eating more healthy options, go to the gym 4-5 days a week for an hour at least, sometimes three, and my totals are still high. My question though isnt "Why am I not losing weight" cause I know why. My question is how does it not take over your entire life, how do you not spend every minute obsessing over failing and food? Maybe I'm just rambling.

Replies

• Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You're not rambling-I think by nature people on myfitnesspal seem to obsess over calories and logging them in. It's just so unnatural to think before you eat! BUT that's why we lose weight-by making CONSCIOUS choices about what we use for energy when most people don't! Sometimes I want to yell at my food-"You're only half a cup of yogurt! Why do you still have this many calories?!" but in the end, we're just getting back to basics.

It's not natural to eat what most people eat in the amounts they do.
  • meganpeyton
    Options
    I simply look at each day as a new day. i have a goal in mind every morning when i log in and punch in my coffee and what i am taking to work for lunch.. sometimes one of thee girls brings a goodie to work and i always ask myself "do i want to account for those calories or not?" sometimes i have to throw in the towel for a treat, and even though i know i have blow my goal for the day i am not deprived of anything and i know tomorrow i will try better. it can be obsessing but it isn't any worse than getting on a scale every morning. i don't own a scale in my house, i go once a week to either my moms house or my doctors office to weigh in.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I find myself obsessing. BUT, I think that is why I'm way more successful this time. Because we are around food ALL day everyday, it's seems impossible NOT to think about it all the time. This is the way it is for me.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with obesessing over it? Beats being out of control - in my opinion.

Actually what I think you will find is that after a period of time you'll have educated yourself and learn the approximate values of everything and so won't need to be tracking it like we currently do at the macro level.
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I obsess about it and plan all my meals and days in advance but I never go over on my calories and I have lost 23lb in less than 2 months

Im sure with time I will not have to obsess so much about everything but for now it is definately working for me!!

xx
  • pinkwizz
    pinkwizz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It does seems to take over quite a portion of the day, thinking ahead about meals/snacks/exercise BUT this means you are thinking about what you are putting into your body, with time, it becomes much less as you dont have to think as much because you know whats good for you and and what agrees with your digestive system.

HEY ITS WORTH IT!!!! :happy:
  • pinkwizz
    pinkwizz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    P.S. When i read the title of this post, I thought it was going to be something really gross....:laugh: :blushing: :laugh:
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    What's wrong with obesessing over it? Beats being out of control - in my opinion.

Actually what I think you will find is that after a period of time you'll have educated yourself and learn the approximate values of everything and so won't need to be tracking it like we currently do at the macro level.

There is plenty wrong with obsessing over calorie counting. When it takes control over your life and you can no longer do nothing but count calories, it's not healthy. Especially when you start eating less and less and less because you don't want those numbers to go up.

OP, keep in mind that you are burning calories doing absolutely nothing. Your BMR is what your body is burning when you are just laying around doing absolutely nothing. It's good and find to eat above 1200 calories (or more depending on activity level and BMR) and you can still lose weight with eating. Portion sizes are a lot smaller than we realize and there is a lot more calories in some things than we realize, but you can still eat full balanced, healthy, even large portioned meals and lose weight. If you feel like you are becoming obsessed with the numbers, maybe you should take a break from MFP.
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If it helps you meet your goal and maintain your weight loss, why would you want to?
  • birdieman75
    birdieman75 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can see how you can obsess over MFP and calorie counting, last time I tried with little exercise it wasn’t pleasant and I gave up, life is for living not starving yourself of the things you love, I now enjoy a few beers on the weekend and a wee bit of choc at night and I have learnt about taking everything in moderation to get to my target.

That said I do count most things on MFP, though I do it as a matter of course rather though the day rather than obsessively.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

There is plenty wrong with obsessing over calorie counting. When it takes control over your life and you can no longer do nothing but count calories, it's not healthy. Especially when you start eating less and less and less because you don't want those numbers to go up.

Utter tosh.

You've taken obessing about calorie counting and exrtrapolated that to a bloody eating disorder. Two totally different things. Tracking your intake in order to take back control over your weight is a positve and healthy thing to do. It doesn't lead to what you've described for normal people.
  • meli_ssa4
    meli_ssa4 Posts: 66
    Options
    For me obsessing with counting calories is helping me learn how much nutritional value is in the food I am eating so for the rest of my life I can know what I can eat and what I shouldn't eat. (notice I say shouldn't). And I will know if I do eat that piece of cake or the piece of chocolate later when I have lost my weight I will be able to think, Ok if I eat this, this is what I need to do to make sure that I don't start gaining my weight back.

I feel this is a learning tool, it is far from a bad thing (IMO)
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I use to obsess about eating food so my obsession has turned in the other direction and I am obsessed with NOT eating food....the ticker don't lie, thats a good obsession :wink:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Utter tosh.

You've taken obessing about calorie counting and exrtrapolated that to a bloody eating disorder. Two totally different things. Tracking your intake in order to take back control over your weight is a positve and healthy thing to do. It doesn't lead to what you've described for normal people.

Obsession isn't healthy. Ask any mental health professional.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Glad Im not the only one :laugh:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • fitbird22
    Options
    I try not to obsess about it but it is hard, it's like having my on-line conscience. It gives me a kick up the backside to do more exercise if I can see my daily allowance starting to slide out of control. It is also a reality check with portion sizes which is my main downfall. Still if it helps me to lose weight what's wrong with a bit of obsessing now and again? I've lost 5lb in 4 weeks....I'm not complaining!!
  • DRees10
    DRees10 Posts: 16
    Options
    The difference I've found in my diet is incredible. Honestly - ignorance isn't bliss! For me the scariest thing is finding out what you have eaten in the past. Crazy figures. Some days I'd have fast food for lunch and go home and have a big tea...probably 3 or 4 times my daily limit now! I wouldn't even have loads - a normal Big Mac meal for lunch, then have some spag bol at night and used to assume that "pasta is fairly healthy" so I'd be OK! Not the case at all!

I think that rather thank obsessing about it, I've thought of it as "another thing" to do in my day. For example, I'll look at my football team's forum and news, check out my bank balance, look over the daily news, complete a few lesson plans/resources for work, then I'll log in my fitness.

Like many have said it lets me judge my food (and fitness) and make a conscious decision. If a football player (your food) isn't doing the right things for the team (your body), the manager (you) substitutes them or doesn't play them at all! But...they've got to know why they aren't doing the right things and what players (food) the team (body) needs to be successful! Hopefully I didn't lose anyone with that analogy but it makes sense to me as a football fan...

I was walking around my supermarket last night and the amount of things I used to think were healthy is unreal. They are probably healthier (lighter) options but why buy a lighter pasta sauce when you can make your own with tomatoes and herbs?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

OP, keep in mind that you are burning calories doing absolutely nothing. Your BMR is what your body is burning when you are just laying around doing absolutely nothing. It's good and find to eat above 1200 calories (or more depending on activity level and BMR) and you can still lose weight with eating. Portion sizes are a lot smaller than we realize and there is a lot more calories in some things than we realize, but you can still eat full balanced, healthy, even large portioned meals and lose weight. If you feel like you are becoming obsessed with the numbers, maybe you should take a break from MFP.

Take a break??? The OP is trying to lose weight, they will "obsess" about it all for a while, it doesn't mean they are doomed to hell for crying out loud LOL!

I took a break from MFP once, piled some weight back on, now I am back and happily "obsessing" over grub :))
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Utter tosh.

Obsession isn't healthy. Ask any mental health professional.

This is where it gets sticky. Someone define obsession as a place to start. I'm not a mental health expert so I won't try. It certainly seems that if it reaches the point where it takes over ones life it may well be a problem. But my local friends think that logging all of my food and exercise is obsessing. I beg to differ, it is merely taking control of my diet, fitness, and overall health through information and knowledge. I'm an accountant by profession so this all comes very easy and natural for me since I'm used to recording and tracking detail for a living. I could cross some line that crosses over into disorder but merely logging and tracking is by no means a disorder. Many folks here at MFP need to obsess (in the layman’s use of the term) for a time until they get things under control. If they can't then turn loose then it may be a problem.