Traveling

Options
I travel a lot as I have family abroad and when I do go and visit them I have a really hard time keeping track of my calories (especially when I go to Spain as all the food we eat is home made) I will also confess that exercise is not something I do when I'm abroad either. How do I go about making sure that I eat my calorie count? Any tips for what I can do for the lack of exercise would be nice as well.

Replies

• hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've got similar issue coming up so will be interesting to see responses....I'm packing my skipping rope as can do this anywhere pretty much...
  • GefMongoose
    Options
    I went on holiday to Italy for 10 days in January, everything I ate was either at a restaurant or homemade, and I had no scales, so I had no idea how I was doing other than to guess and hope for the best. I actually ended up losing 1.5lb in the time I was there! I think the key for me was that I spent most of the time travelling around, walking about 4 to 7 hours every day, which is easy to do when you're in a new place that you want to explore. I also tried to be sensible with the quantities of things I ate, so deciding to not have a snack when my friends did and things like that.
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    We live roughly 4-6 months each year in Egypt where I get zero exercise and mostly eat homemade food made my my in-laws who aren't exactly into healthy eating. For exercise, jogging on the spot burns roughly 100 calories for every 10mins so put something on tv and jog for half hour or something. For portion size, I got very good at imagining things in cup sizes (and bought a set of cup measures to help) so I can control portion size at least. When choosing from the database chose homemade items or similar from big restaurants as they tend to have the higher calorie values and are closer to the family made stuff. According to my logging i was averaging 1600 per day instead of my usual 1200 but I managed to lose 12kg in 10 weeks last time I was there (without ANY exercise) so it's possible if your mind is set to keep trying despite the obstacles.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just keep track of what you're eating. It's hard to control things on holidays, especially in other countries. My biggest problem being on holidays is not paying attention to how much and what I'm eating. By writing it down at least I have some idea. Plus the "I'm on holidays" mentality can set in which can be deadly.
    Making sure you're some kind of active every day (long walks) and logging the best you can is all you can do and I agree with the others.. you could come out of it losing weight! Happy travels!