not lost weight

Options
ok well i started nearly a week ago i have kept to the calories and ever been a bit more active how ever i weighed my self today and not lost a single pound???
now i know the foods im eating airnt great but they still stay in my count whats going on ????

feeling a little demotivated

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can advise you better. Sometimes it takes a while and you might find you have a sudden loss next week. Stick with it!
  • pomjt
    pomjt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    how do i open my diary ???
  • pomjt
    Options
    ok i think ive done it :)
    as i say i know some of the foods im eating are not great but compared to what i was eatting its much better and with the sweet stuff i am weaning my self down as again i was eating much more .
    But i am adding every thing to the diary as if i cheat i only cheat myself :(
    i am also taking a steriod tablet at the moment so not sure if that will make any difference
  • BerryH
    Options
    Food -> settings -> diary sharing.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Try eating more protein, you'll find you don't get hungry again so quickly and won't want so many sweet snacks that make you hungry quicker. Also add more fresh fruit and veg.

Many people have sudden losses when they first change what they eat, with other people it takes a week or so. Changing to slightly healthier foods - it doesn't have to be a massive change just introduce them gradually - will increase the fibre and help shift pounds quicker too.

Watch the portion size too - I was logging standard pasta portion sizes when I started, but when I started weighing they turned out to me twice as much!
  • pomjt
    Options
    i just desided to messure myself again and i have lost 2inches around my waist and on my hips and an inch around my neck ???
    so im losing in inches not lbs
  • davidandrewwillis
    Options
    If I might make a recommendation? Water water water! I know it sounds crazy but that's been a vast majority of what has changed me. Yes, you'll pee like crazy at first, but once you're hydrated and the toxins are out it calms down quite a bit.

The other thought? And I know this is VERY difficult at first, but believe you're going to lose the weight. It's hard, like I said, but the mind is a powerful thing and your thoughts will turn into things.

PS - yes, I'm crazy, but I'm quite a few lbs less crazy than I was when I started ;)

Good luck and feel free to add if you wish :) DO NOT GIVE UP YOU WILL DO THIS!!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    It takes longer than a week.
  • BerryH
    Options
    i just desided to messure myself again and i have lost 2inches around my waist and on my hips and an inch around my neck ???
    so im losing in inches not lbs
    Well there you go, and isn't that what matters? People will see the inch loss, they don't stand behind you and look at the scale.

If you've started doing exercise you weren't doing before, your muscles retain water as they repair and build. It'll be gone in no time.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    ok i think ive done it :)
    as i say i know some of the foods im eating are not great but compared to what i was eatting its much better and with the sweet stuff i am weaning my self down as again i was eating much more .
    But i am adding every thing to the diary as if i cheat i only cheat myself :(
    i am also taking a steriod tablet at the moment so not sure if that will make any difference

steriods make it more difficult to lose also
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 weeks before I lost a single pound! It is a struggle to stay motivated but sadly some peoples metabolisms are just a bit slow on the uptake! I regularly lose less than my friends even though I'm working out 5 days a week (at least) and I have one of the lowest calorie goals. It sucks, yes - but it will come off. You just have to keep chipping away at it even if your body means you have to work twice as hard.

And, as has been said already, some people find if it is a massive change from their habits it's like a shock that doesn't register for a couple of weeks - then have a massive loss.

Try not to get disheartened (although I know it's difficult) and feel free to add me if you want a friend on your news feed who will, most likely, lose less than you every week! :ohwell:
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It takes longer than a week so stick at it, if you are under on calories and not going over with the carbs or fat you should be losing it. You mention later on that you have lost inches so that is good.

Do you know what your sodium levels are like?

I was trying to stick to 1200 cals and that was plenty, I fill up on fruit and veg but with the exercise I have upped my calories to around 1400, sometimes more if I burn a lot more and have found that makes a difference.
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It takes longer than a week.

lol :0) yep its took me 12 months to lose 70 odd pounds-that weight does not come off in a week......
    Just stick to it and as another poster has said if you are hungry, try and concentrate on protein as it will keep you full for longer...

I lost most of my weight on a low carb high protein diet.... it worked for me.
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here already, especially about water and protein. You've obviously worked hard at keeping within your calories this week and I know how disappointing it is when you don't lose weight.

Looking at your food diary, I would like to make some suggestions. Firstly, I believe what has happened illustrates that whilst a calories is a calorie, they are in no way equal. Your intake of fat and carbs is extremely high and your protein is very low.

On a very simplistic level cutting out a couple of carbs meals per week and replacing them with protein will mean you feel fuller after eating and will kick start your weight loss. Most importantly, try to get protein for your first meal. Some eggs and lean bacon (oven cooked or grilled) perhaps.

Also try to choose a more healthy snack, perhaps some nuts and seeds and always weigh your portion size as there are calorific; However 100 calories of nuts is way better than 100 calories of chocolate and the good choice will see you reach your goals much quicker.

Your obviously making the effort, these simple changes will maximise it.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring exercise calories?

Take MFP's calculations with a grain of salt - they're not tailored to your height / weight / sex. A HRM will give you a much more reliable reading if you're getting stuck further down the track.

I agree with the others though, first up:
    1) more protein
    2) more water
    3) Inches are just as, if not more important than weight
    4) You didn't put weight on in a week, so its unrealistic to expect your body to shed a significant amount in a week (that only happens in biggest loser)
  • BerryH
    Options
    steriods make it more difficult to lose also
    Well spotted, didn't read that before! Here's an article that might help from a trusted site:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/119003-lose-weight-taking-steroids/

I have also read that steroids can make you ultra sensitive to sodium, so monitor it in your diary, keep your intake low, cut back on ready meals and drink more water.

Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • pomjt
    Options
    i know it takes longer then a week i was just hoping to see some change just 1 lb :( but after messuring my self feel a lot better about it all and thank you every one how has replied to my post it really does help to know so many people are tere to support me
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just had a quick look at your diary... are you really only having 1gm of coco pops for breakfast???? (3 calories)

ETA: I found that I had to weigh my portions for a while until I could fairly accurately recognise a normal portion (and I still spot check)... even 30gm of cereal is very little compared to what my usual portion would have been.
  • pomjt
    Options
    im glad you posted no im not having such a small amount they are wrong so have changed todays thank you for finding that
    i just add it on the saved and dont even check it
  • dextertroy
    dextertroy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's great you are making a start and it's the start of a long journey. I am at the beginning too with a long way to go. I know it'll be hard but try and change you're choices for 80% of your foods. Coco Pops? Try some All Bran or Bran Flakes, maybe muesli for breakfast. Losing weight for good is all about lifestyle change that is why I have failed at WW twice because they kept saying I could eat what I want as long as I'm within my points. Great. Galaxy chocolate is nice. Might have fish and chips as long as its below my points right? I lost 2 stones each time but needed to lose at least 5. I plateau'd each time.

I'm a fussy eater, I love crisps, I love chips, burgers, steaks in pepper sauce, I love pizza etc. But you have to just say no to these foods on a daily basis. Its not just calories but healthy calories. Of course you can eat the above, now and again as a treat but make a choice to go all in and go for it. You will do it. I know you don't each lot's of these now but Coco pops rant the answer. It's like an alcoholic saying they will only have one vodka instead of 3 in the morning. Just don't have any. Coco pops will make you hungry very soon after breakfast.

Hope this helps as I am in exactly the same position as you but I am changing what I eat, how much I eat and how active I'm going to be. I'm nearly 40 and been "that fat guy" for 20 years. Enough is enough.