advice needed

Options
okay so I've been doing this about a week and I have been doing so much better- before MFP I probably consumed anywhere between 3000 and 4000 calories per day.... After putting everything in my food diary today and the last couple of nights it tells me I may not be consuming enough calories..I'm not starving myself, but now that I eat a little better I dont feel hungry or eat out of bordem.. I see alot of people have really good/healthy/nutritious items in their log. I am an extremely picky eater so I've changed mostly my portions and cut out fast food adding more vegetables. For the most part I do really good (considering the past) with what I eat. By me eating what I've been eating am I setting myself up to maybe not be as successful? Heeeeelllppp!!!

Replies

• WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be ok. As long as you aren't drastically cutting out calories. You also do not have to eat all of your exercise calories back so as long as you are close to hitting your daily goal you will be fine
  • andrearaquel48
    andrearaquel48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think we need a little more info. How many calories are you consuming? I'm trying to lose 10 lbs and my calorie allotment is 1400 a day, so way less than what you were eating before you started here. If you are eating a healthy, well balanced diet and you don't feel hungry then it sounds like you are on the right track.
  • 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You will want to consume at least 1200 just so your body doesn't think it's starving even if you don't feel hungry... I throw in some wheat thins or pineapple and cottage cheese... just little snacks to get you what you need
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    I've been consuming between 1000 and 1200 - I just dont want to not eat the right amount and not help...
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body. You will see signs like "brain fog" and fatigue if you aren't eating enough. Your body will adjust over this two week period to learn to live on the reduced calorie diet. Eating healthy for a picky eater will be difficult, but the best advice I can give is to at least "try" new things. Just change one little thing and see if you like it. Don't force yourself to eat anything you don't like though.. you need to be able to keep this up and eating gross stuff will just make you want to quit. Portion control is a GREAT goal for right now. You are doing great!!! Keep it up and don't overthink this!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body is one way to look at it, I don't agree but an opinion is an opinion... my opinion is for you to strive to to eat at least 1200 calories - make that your goal - not your NET goal but your consumption goal...
  • andrearaquel48
    andrearaquel48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    1000-1200 is pretty low, but I think the comment right above this gives great advice - try new stuff, but don't force yourself to eat things you don't enjoy. If you aren't hungry, you aren't light headed, and you have enough energy then you're probably ok. Have you started exercising? If not, you may find you need to consume a few more calories if you start working out.
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did look at your diary and you are doing very well. Your foods are very rich in protein which is giving you that lasting energy throughout the day and the protein is not gained from high fat sources. You certainly are reading labels and are very concious about what you are eating WELL DONE!! You are definitely on the low side of calories, but just listen to your body. Don't be afraid to double up on some of those foods you are eating. An easy way is to eat twice as much cereal in the morning than you are eating. It gets you extra calories in the morning and will be burned off throughout the day. Try not to get the extra calories at night before you go to bed.
  • jcameron731
    Options
    I have had several days where my MFP has told me that I am way under my calorie intake..However on days like that I have exercised more that day...and so the calories are added back..so you might be eating the same as the day before..It is all good if you see yourself losing weight in the long run...
  • nyredhead23
    Options
    If you are hitting 1200 then you are fine. If it's under, you could always add something like a cheese stick (about 80 calories), pretzels (about 115 calories), a chobani yogurt (140 calories and alot of protein). I also find if I'm under and craving something sweet I will let myself eat it, I just choose something that isn't excessive. For example, yesterday I added 2 girl scout do-si-dos cookies for 110 calories. I know it isn't the healthiest choice, but if we deprive ourselves of all sweets we will be less likely to be successful. (That I know from experience from yo-yo dieting!!)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I've been consuming between 1000 and 1200 - I just dont want to not eat the right amount and not help...

You should be eating a minimum of 1200 calories. if you work out you should be eating more. 1000 is not enough for your body (and brain) to function properly. DO NOT get it in your head that to lose weight you have to not eat -- that's simply not true. It's all about eating the right stuff.

SW 303.4 (1/1/11)
    CW 198.4 (DOWN 105lbs)
    GW 160
    29 y/o female, 5'6''
    I typically eat 1600-2100 calories a day.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

You should be eating a minimum of 1200 calories. if you work out you should be eating more. 1000 is not enough for your body (and brain) to function properly. DO NOT get it in your head that to lose weight you have to not eat -- that's simply not true. It's all about eating the right stuff.

SW 303.4 (1/1/11)
    CW 198.4 (DOWN 105lbs)
    GW 160
    29 y/o female, 5'6''
    I typically eat 1600-2100 calories a day.

what she said!!
  • KristieWade
    Options
    First of all, unless any of us actually hold a medical degree what we say is really based on limited knowledge. Alot of times even a doctor doesn't have much knowledge. My first advise is to consult a doctor or nutritionist. A nutritionist can help you form a healthy diet with the items you like to eat that will still give you the proper amount of nutrition.

Now for my opinion, which is in no way to be considered any health advise. I would cut out as much high sodium food as you can. Your body only needs so much sodium in a days time, anything above this can have bad health effects including high blood pressure. it also causes the body to retain water. I was looking at your diary today...man it was fabulous. I wish I had as many healthy choices in my daily diet. I did notice that you ate a Healthy Choice Dinner. These are high in sodium. I'd be careful of eating them to much. Next I saw very yummy Pringles. Pringles provide no nutrional value whatsoever and are high in calories.

I think in your daily diet, that I'd watch for those, and maybe do my own research into nutrition...what is good, what is not...etc. Here's the fact of the matter. We can do all the calorie counting we want, but if we do not supply our body's with the nutrients it needs it's going to react badly. What that is no one know as it is different for everyone.

have a great day.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i personally dont think there's any need to change too much too soon. I see from your weight loss goal it's similar to mine and I know for me this is going to be at least a year long journey or changing habits and replacing them with healthier ones.

controlling portion sizes is a HUGE thing. I would say focus on that first and then start adding in a few new things. If you're a picky eater then it's going to take some time for you to figure out what you like OR to force yourself to like something that's good for you :smile:

also if you were used to eating 3000 calories, dropping to 1200 is a HUGE deficit. If you have 78 pounds to lose, then I can almost guarantee you that 1200 calories is not enough sicne you need to at least eat enough to sustain your BMR. There is no one number thats a minimum everyone should be eating since we all have different bodies, so dont just believe that 1200 is the minimum YOU should be eating.

Also, I have days where MFP tells me I'm eating too little, but I tend to cycle my calories so one day I'll hit my 1600 cal target, the next i might be 1100 and the next i might be 2100 calories.