Do multivitamins help with weight loss?

Options
If so, which one do you suggest for a 24 year old woman?

Replies

• JasMcK
    JasMcK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would think not. I think people generally take them if they are not getting the proper vitamins in their diet.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If you're low on b12 it can't slow your metabolism and low on things like Vit D and iron can cause fatigue and depression and well that can lead to lack of motivation/energy and weight gain, so in an indirect way i'd say yes it can help with weight loss IF you are deficient in something.

In the end tho, there is no magic pill :). I take one a day for women as well as an iron and a b12 supplement in addition (dr. ordered), but i'm very deficient in both of those and I notice and immense difference since being on them all for the last couple of month.
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would think that to some degree they help. Not in the sense that if you take them you could lose an extra pound, but in the sense that you are getting everything you need to help your body work at it's maximum potential. :)
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    b12 is supposed to help with energy levels. i started taking it a few weeks ago and it really helps (or i am very easily effected by the placebo effect....), i have a few friends who take biotin which is suggested to help curb hunger while also helps healthy hair and nail growth.

with that being said. if you are eating within your calorie range and getting a broad spectrum of nutrients in your diet (eating lean proteins, colorful fruits and veggies, whole grains, clean dairy) then you shouldn't need to take a multivitamin.
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    I have to take a B12 supplement every week. 1mg shots. But it seems when I am not taking a vitamin I am super sluggish but I don't want to overdose on Vitamin B. Is that even possible? Proactiv sent me a multivitamin and I have been using that one and I like it a lot. Just expensive.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    They're great for overall health, but no they don't help with weight loss. I would recommend staying away from popular brands and do some research. You want whole food vitamins. Most of the brands that are so popular are not absorbed into the body fully and you're not getting as much as you think you are. I have a doctor in the family and we've talked about this stuff so much! Hardly anyone is going to get all the vitamins and minerals their body needs unless their eating a TON of different foods. I also recommend a good quality fish oil especially if you're working out. It's probably one of the best things you can take.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've also been told that LIQUID capsule vitamins are the way to go if you're going to do them because they get absorbed more easily by your system.
  • PenguinPrincess
    Options
    Idk about directly helping weight loss, but I am a picky eater so I don't always have the well-rounded diet I should. The multivitamins keep me feeling good to be able to work out. I take a woman's one a day - active metabolism, as well as a super b-vitamin complex.
  • vakaranshah786
    vakaranshah786 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    im currently taking multivitamin with added iron , cod liver oil capsules and glucosamine because after my jm 30ds i used to get alot of knee soreness but it's alot less now due to the vitamins i think but i don't think they can make you lose weight quicker but they can make you feel less tired though imo