• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Eat more protein and less carbs.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Nuts, meats, protein bars, protein shakes, eggs, cheese....
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    just analyse your dairy. You eat bananas - they are high carb so take em out substiture for a lower carb fruit.
    Boost shake - high carb take it out and substitute for a whey protein shake with water
    your serving of rice one day is really high - 1.5 cup of rice is too much, sub for brown rice just 1/2 a cup or so and add some more green veges.
    a quick way to lower carb content is to get carbs from veges rather than complex carbs, so increase your vege servings and decrease carb servings.
    eliminate processed foods.
    eat some egg whites with your eggs, grill chicken breast (skinless) and keep in air tight container give yourself one breast as a serving on your main meal, with 1/2 cup; of rice and a cup of green vegies. Low carb. high protein. Easy.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I eat 45% carbs, and 15% protein and contrary to what people keep saying on here, I have visible muscles, and a very healthy BF%.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Eat more protein and less carbs.

Haha you b*stard. Too tempting a response!

In reality, it is not that easy. I cut out major carb foods a long long time ago (pasta, rice, bread, potato) but I am still creeping over my (admittedly low) carb limits most days. There are carbs in everything, most of mine come from things like yogurts and milk.

Protein however you can never have enough of (well almost) but is extremely hard to eat enough off. I can have 2 whey protein shakes and 2 chicken breasts + my usual meals and still not have enough on workout days.

As Tabinmaine says:

But nuts are v high in carbs/cals. Get into a routine of lean meats if you are seriously training. Means buying fridge full of chicken breasts. Get into hard boiled eggs too, or omlettes as a snack (i'll sometimes have one when I get home from work before dinner later!)

Its a lot of effort (and/or expense) that is only worth it if you are strength training (as everyone should!)
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The only carb I eat daily is jasmine rice. I don't eat a lot, but it's always a side for dinner since my boyfriend is Asian. :laugh: Rice is neither bad nor good, it's kind of a neutral food. :/

Cut out processed carbs and you should be good to go.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've also had a look at your food diary on Wednesday.

Yesterday you had a Bagel which has 24g of Carbs and that Turkey and Crackers meal. To be honest, I would of cut out that Turkey and Cracker meal. Added a second egg to that meal or something. It's also quite high in sodium just to note that.

The Breaded Shrimp Poppers, I would of replaced that with something like Prawns. No Carbs, Protein and low in Calories.

The Chocolate covered Raisins, replace those with Cherries or something. Even raisins on there own are high in carbs and sugar. I found that Cherries are better still taste nice. With the Burger, I either make my own using lean Chicken Breast or you can buy the Quorn Burgers.

Get rid of those Protein shakes or find a healthier protein shake which isn't crammed with carbs and most likely sugar. You might aswell has a regular milkshake and eaten a few eggs. Swap it for some lean ham, a couple of boiled eggs and I always have lettuce to give it a bit of crunch.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    1. Nuts = no
    2. Meats = yes
    3. Protein bars = no
    4. Shakes = so,so
    5. Eggs= yes
    6. Cheese = yes
  • vilardip1
    vilardip1 Posts: 34
    Options
    i am getting too many carbs and not enough protein

any ideas on how i can change this??
    i love protein ... i can see myself easily going overboard with it:ohwell:
    i think i am afraid i will go over my calorie goal if i don't watch

you should have no problem making the change, and you will not "go overboard" with this switch...gram per gram, carbs and protein yield the same number of calories (4 cal/g)...so once you see where you can cut carbs and throw in some protein you will have little issue
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    1. Nuts = no
    2. Meats = yes
    3. Protein bars = no
    4. Shakes = so,so
    5. Eggs= yes
    6. Cheese = yes
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    why not protein bars or protein shakes??
  • Kattaway
    Kattaway Posts: 61
    Options
    Once I cut out breads, sugars, etc and up'd my protein, I ate enough naturally to keep me full and my calories went WAY down. When I ate fast foods, processed foods, etc, my calories were probably 3000-4000 plus daily. You know the old lifestyle, McDonalds for breakfast, taco bell for lunch, and whatever I cooked for dinner...... now I am lucky if I get 1600 calories in a day and I am hardly ever hungry!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    ALOT PEOPLE LIKE THE PROTEIN SHAKES BUT MOST HAVE ALOT OF CALORIES
    MY FAMILY HATES VEGTABLES ...I AM ALWAYS TRYING TO GET THEM TO EAT MORE
    ALOT OF WHAT I EAT IS LEFTOVERS I FIX FOR THEM... I WORK THE GRAVEYARD SHIFT SO EVERYTHING IS BACKWARDS FOR ME,,,OFTEN I WILL EAT THOSE LUNCHABLES WHEN I AM AT WORK AND FORGOT TO PACK SOMETHING ELSE

I LOVE BEANS LIKE PINTOS AND WHITE BEANS BUT THEY ARE HIGH CALORIE
    I LOVE EGGS... I COULD EAT 3 OR 4 AT ONE SITTING...ANOTHER REASON I HAVE BEEN LIMITING

I THINK WHEN I STARTED HERE I WAS STEERING AWAY FROM ALOT OF PROTEIN ITEMS TO KEEP MY CALORIES LOW
    BUT, I HAVE RECENTLY UPPED MY CALORIES AND I AM NOW TRYING TO TWEAK MY DIET

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS, EVERYONE HAS BEEN SUPER HELPFUL
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options

I have looked at your diary, and I don't see why you think you are getting too many carbs:

Your current goal is 1800 calories, of which you have set a limit of 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.

Compare that to my goals: 1830 calories, with 60% carbs, 25% fat and 15% protein.
    I set those limits based on the DASH diet guidelines, for healthy heart, etc.

If you want to increase your protein, you could reduce your fat to 25%.
    But you already have 30% protein, which is way higher than what the DASH guidelines show.

Of course, this subject is VERY much controversial (you know, the low carbs dieters will tell you to reduce as much as possible the Carbs)

The DASH diet guidelines work great for me:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

I would recommend to you to investigate more on DASH, and maybe these percentages would work for you that love protein:
    1800 calories, with 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein
  • FitSuperwoman
    Options
    do you like egg whites? they are a quick way to get loads of protein without the carbs or calories :)..among plenty of other foods aswell!
  • lisa28115
    Options
    Once I cut out breads, sugars, etc and up'd my protein, I ate enough naturally to keep me full and my calories went WAY down. When I ate fast foods, processed foods, etc, my calories were probably 3000-4000 plus daily. You know the old lifestyle, McDonalds for breakfast, taco bell for lunch, and whatever I cooked for dinner...... now I am lucky if I get 1600 calories in a day and I am hardly ever hungry!

I LOOKED AT YOUR DIARY...U EAT SOMEWHAT LIKE THE ATKINS DIET

I LOVE CARBS AND MY FAMILY DOES TOO
    I AM TRYING TO FIND A BALANCE BETWEEN THE TWO
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

I have looked at your diary, and I don't see why you think you are getting too many carbs:

I agree. Could you elaborate on why you want to go lower?
  • lisa28115
    Options

Your current goal is 1800 calories, of which you have set a limit of 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.

Compare that to my goals: 1830 calories, with 60% carbs, 25% fat and 15% protein.
    I set those limits based on the DASH diet guidelines, for healthy heart, etc.

If you want to increase your protein, you could reduce your fat to 25%.
    But you already have 30% protein, which is way higher than what the DASH guidelines show.

Of course, this subject is VERY much controversial (you know, the low carbs dieters will tell you to reduce as much as possible the Carbs)

The DASH diet guidelines work great for me.

I would recommend to you to investigate more on DASH, and maybe these percentages would work for you that love protein:
    1800 calories, with 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein

I WAS ADVISED TO SET MY GOALS THAT WAY
    AND I AM NOT AS MUCH WORRIED ABOUT THE CARBS AS IT SEEMS EACH DAY I AM SHORT ON THE PROTEIN AND I KNOW I NEED THIS AS I HAVE BEGUN TO STRENGHT TRAIN

I DON'T HAVE MUCH KNOWLEDGE OF THE DASH DIET BUT I WILL CHECK INTO IT

THANKS
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just cuttinging out bread and breaded foods will help, Also you know that milk also has quite high carbs so you could replace that with almond milk which has less carbs.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You're meant to eat more carbs than protein. I have set mine up to be as follows (% wise):

Proteins 20%
    Fat 30%
    Carbs 50%