What to do when scales are at a stand still

Options
My scales are at a stand still just wondering what you do when this happens?

Replies

• MommaToFour
    Options
    I keep on keeping on because my best friend just happens to be the tape measure!! :)
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    be patient and continue to make good choices.
  • mlawilm
    mlawilm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Change up your routine to help kick start things over again. Go by measurements not weight because you could be losing weight and building muscles at the same time and the scale wouldn't show the weight loss but your body is still getting smaller and tighter. :flowerforyou:
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Kick the scale! Just don't hurt your foot!

Well, maybe don't do that.

You may need to change up your food & exercise routine. How many calories do you generally eat? How much do you exercise? I upped my calories recently & have started losing more weight. Do you ever have a cheat day once a week to give your metabolism a little boost? How much water do you drink? H20 is super important!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I stop watching it... a watched pot never boils.
  • sweetendeavor
    sweetendeavor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tape measure. Sometimes the scale is completely useless.
  • LuckyStar05
    Options
    You could always mix up or introduce something new to your routine. My scales had been still for about a week and then I introduced hand weights in my jogging routine and viola! Our bodies get adjusted to our routines, so we have to add, change them up, or push ourselves harder to keep losing the weight. Just keep pushing on and the scale will move again. Don't give up! :smile:
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Put it away and leave it away for a while. Take measurments, try on smaller clothes and take photos to compaire.
  • wimbels
    wimbels Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, the tape measure made me feel better when I've had plateau weeks!! Don't get discouraged, keep it up and you will continue to see results! A plateau week here and there is totally normal. Comparing a photo from a year ago is a great idea for motivation too.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ignore it!!!

If you're meticulous about logging your calories and exercise, and you're hitting your goals, then you're on your way to success. No matter what the scale says.

The scale can betray you... hormonal changes, sodium intake, bowel contents, etc can all wreak havoc on the numbers from day to day.

You might also hit an artificial plateau based on unintentionally inaccurate logging....

Double check your log. Snacking can catch up on you fast.
    Measure everything. Buy a good food scale! Most people can't measure with their eyes.
    Don't eat out. You can't control the calories in a restaurant.
    Don't count your resistance training calories. They really don't add up to much and your HRM will over estimate your caloric expenditures.

Stick with it. :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    That depends on a lot of factors. You may need to eat a little less and/or move a little more. You may need to take a break from dieting. You may need to simply give it a little time.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Assuming your calories are on target... Weight Training or Circuit Training 2-3 days per week in addition to cardio 2-3 days per week should keep the pounds coming off. Remember, always change your routine. Never ever do the same thing twice. Even cardio... Do the elliptical one day, treadmill another, bike another, stair climber another, rowing another - and when you do those, constantly change how you do them. For instance, on the treadmill you might run one day with low incline, walk a very brisk pace another, walk a slower pace another day with a high incline, and mix in intervals - two min./two min, five/two, two/ten, etc of any combiination of running, walking, incline. I'm no mathmetician, so I cannot tell you the number of possibilities here, but it is endless. Just keep in mind that with any workout, whether it's cardio, weights, circuit, yoga, anything at all, you should always change it up to keep your muscles guessing.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long you've been at the same weight. If it's been the same for less than a month, I'd say ignore it and be patient. When it goes longer than that, you could start changing things up, doing some of the things already mentioned.
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am on a specific diet (just started), and part of the protocol is to actually weigh yourself daily. Without boring you with the details of the diet, when I have plateau days, I am supposed to "have an apple day," as in to eat an apple for every meal until I get to dinner. Drink a gallon of water throughout the day. For dinner, I am to eat a lean 5 or 6 oz. steak with a tomato. It is supposed to kick start past the plateau. I haven't done it yet, so I cannot personally attest to it. Not sure what your diet entails and this may or may not work. But can't hurt, right?
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    WORK HARDER!! KEEP IT UP!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Keep on doing what you're doing, keep breathing, keep on moving (more if you can), don't get discouraged. Like some of the others said, measure yourself instead of weighing. One day you'll hop on the scale and it will have moved down. :)
  • Sandra82874
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I really needed it.