Snacks at work

Options
estjones
estjones Posts: 1
Hey.. I'm looking for quick, easy snacks that I can eat at work. I have been eating small meals and it seems to be helping. But.. I need ideas for low cal/ low fat treats. I was eating boiled eggs until I saw how much fat they had in them! OOPS...

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    my new one is strawberries.
    been having them as my second snack of the day this week cos they were on offer.
    48cals in 150grams bargain for me.
  • novachaos
    novachaos Posts: 12
    Options
    Some snacks that I take to work include fruit (bananas, apples, strawberries), snack-size cheese, dannon low-fat vanilla yogurt (in the tub), and kashi go-lean crunch granola cereal. I also take boiled eggs too... they're super yummy and I figure that a couple of eggs a couple times a week are okay (I eat the yolks too). You can always take out the yolk for a super protein snack. Another snack that I like is a whole wheat english muffin with all natural peanut butter. I've found that 1 tbs PB is plenty for both sides of the muffin!
  • novachaos
    novachaos Posts: 12
    Options
    Just thought of another snack! Almonds... buy a bag and keep them at your desk or buy a bag and pre-make portions in ziplock baggies to grab and go.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    For a mid-morning snack I enjoy eating fresh fruit (strawberries, grapes, banana) etc. or a Kashi chewy granola bar. For an afternoon snack I enjoy hummus with veggies, on Wasa crisps or on crackers. I like to switch it up so that I'm not bored.

Enjoying healthy snacks in between small meals helps keep you satisfied until your next meal. I typically eat 3 small meals and 3 healthy snacks per day and never feel hungry.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    YOu can find lots of little 100 cal. snacks at the grocery store....those might be something to look into..... I usually do fruit ....especially this summer because it is so refreshing when its hot!!
    Good luck finding something that works for ya :drinker:
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    Some snacks that I take to work include fruit (bananas, apples, strawberries), snack-size cheese, dannon low-fat vanilla yogurt (in the tub), and kashi go-lean crunch granola cereal. I also take boiled eggs too... they're super yummy and I figure that a couple of eggs a couple times a week are okay (I eat the yolks too). You can always take out the yolk for a super protein snack. Another snack that I like is a whole wheat english muffin with all natural peanut butter. I've found that 1 tbs PB is plenty for both sides of the muffin!

Add a drizzle of honey to the english muffin (I use Thomas' Multi Grain) and sliced banana with the peanut butter and you have yourself an awesome pre-workout or get me thur the afternoon snack. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    If you have access to a freezer, try popsicles or fudgesicles . . . they are refreshing, low-cal, and take awhile to eat so the time passes! I love the no sugar added fudgesicles . . . for only 40 calories they are a great chocolate fix!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    veggies and hummus are the only way I get through the day. And in the afternoon when I'm sleepy and need a boost I'll have some fruit and get a kick from the natural sugar!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I keep beef jerky in my purse for emergencies.

At work I have some packet food in my filing cabinet. It keeps forever.

I also keep a can of nuts. I don't track my fat much because it tends to be low so the fat in nuts doesn't bother me. But I'm guessing you wouldn't want those.

I also pack my food every day ... lunch and snacks. The sorts of things I bring are:

cheese sticks (made with 2% milkfat)
    nuts (:smile: )
    hard boiled eggs and egg bites (again, not so worried about the fat)
    cottage cheese (fat free because I can't taste the difference between it and lowfat or regular fat)
    FAGE yogurt
    Cherries
    Bananas
    Protein muffins (from my own recipe -- low in fat, and 3:1 carb to protein ratio so they are good for right after working out)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hey.. I'm looking for quick, easy snacks that I can eat at work. I have been eating small meals and it seems to be helping. But.. I need ideas for low cal/ low fat treats. I was eating boiled eggs until I saw how much fat they had in them! OOPS...

Thanks in advance!!

Don't give up on hardboiled eggs. The fat and cholesterol is in the YOLK, but most of the protein is in the WHITE, so boil your eggs. The will be cold later from fridge storage, so peel one, cut it in half and scoop out the yolk. If you can find a use for it, great, if not, toss it. Then fill the empty cavity in the egg with a teaspoon of hummus. YUM!! Just something I learned from reading Barry Sears books about the Zone Diet.
    I keep beef jerky in my purse for emergencies.

At work I have some packet food in my filing cabinet. It keeps forever.

I also keep a can of nuts. I don't track my fat much because it tends to be low so the fat in nuts doesn't bother me. But I'm guessing you wouldn't want those.

In regard to beef jerky. If you are concerned about nitrates,:devil: which are present in the usual commercial jerky as a preservative, and are considered by many to be related to an increased risk of cancer, you can get Trader Joe's jerky. It doesn't keep as long as regular jerky and needs to be stored in the fridge once opened, but it tastes WONDERFUL!!:smile:

Also, in regard to nuts, the fat in nuts is GOOD fat, as in avocados, for example. Roasted cashews, and raw almonds are great, BUT, get your cashews WITHOUT added salt, if possble, and almonds should not be salted either. IF you have a bulk food area in your grocery, you should be able to find almonds without any salt or added oils. As for cashews, if you become a label reader, you will find cans that don't have added salt. I think I have seen them at Walgreens.

Good luck!! Happy Snackin'!!:flowerforyou:
  • yentasdoitbetter
    yentasdoitbetter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    - weight watchers yogurt
    - quaker mini delights 90 calorie packs (i like the cinnamon streusel the best)
    - quaker whole grain rice cakes (cinnamon sugar's my fave!)
    - strawberries
    - grapes

and i saved the best for last! MMMM MY FAVE! MOTT'S PEACH MANGO APPLESAUCE!!!!!

i'm doing weight watchers (same as MFP) and i take big bags of snacks and break them up into serving sizes in zip lock bags then write the point value on each bag...so grabbing a quick snack on your way out the door in the morning is easy!

232534.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I eat throughout the day at work and really try not to bug my coworkers with too much chomping so I prefer low-fat string cheese, a handful of nuts, fat-free cottage cheese, edamame (prefer frozen but requires a bowl, freezer, and microwave), fruits, and some chocolate soy milk for a treat. I've also read frozen grapes are a good but haven't tried them yet. Really, I've found things that take a little time to eat and only require one hand while still working to be fantastic.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit or veggies are always good! Laughing cow cheese, and crackers, Mozzerella sticks are good. If you just want something crunchy, I like Pringles in the pre-measured packs. They only have around 120 calories. Oooh! Pudding!! The low fat Jello pudding only has 60 cals in it and you get a chocolate fix!
  • pnewman
    pnewman Posts: 1
    Options
    Eat the egg whites, not the yokes. Mix chopped egg whites with light greek yogurt and some onions if it makes it easier to go down. I also mix tuna in for a protien boost.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    apple and peanut butter, yum yum
  • momnmore
    momnmore Posts: 20
    Options
    I keep a box of fiber one bars in my desk. Sometimes I just need something and the fiber in them helps me feel full.
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I keep a box of fiber one bars in my desk. Sometimes I just need something and the fiber in them helps me feel full.

these make me gassy. :laugh:

hehe.:blushing:
  • kmg621
    kmg621 Posts: 11
    Options
    Fiber bars, fruit, dry cereal, veggies, 100 cal. packs, nuts....hope this helps:smile:
  • s_sanchez
    s_sanchez Posts: 96
    Options
    Almonds
    Fruit / Veggies
    Cottage Cheese
    Low Fat String Cheese
    100 cal packs
    apple with peanut butter
    caramel corn cakes - snack size

I buy the big packs of almonds, corn cakes and similar items and separate them into little baggies so I don't eat more then one serving and they are easy to grab without having to measure. Also cheaper then buying the pre packaged ones.
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    apples , plums, cherries, watermelon, cantaloupe, individual low sugar oatmeals are what I snack on during the day. (Not all at once of course...LOL)