Wetting the HRM By Polar.? help!

Options
Do u wet the hrm electrode thingys like they say? If so do u do it everytime? Do u wash ur strap? Im scared to wet anything, just got it yesterday!

Replies

• Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a Garmin, but yes i wet mine everytime, and i also detach the straps and wash them, been doing this for over a year now and mine is fine :smile:
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wet mine before use and rinse it afterwards.

Goes in the wash once a week.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thank u! For answering! Ok i feel better now! Lol
  • Reckabek
    Options
    Yes, I wet mine before use and rinse it afterwards.

Goes in the wash once a week.

Sweet! After too ok, just the strap tho right,
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes just the strap dont get too much water on the battery part i made that mistake first go round....not good!!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar FT4.

For the best reading you need to thoroughly wet the electrode pads on the strap (you don't wet the the transmitter that snaps on to the strap). I rinse my strap after every use and toss it in the wash, in a bag with my bras, whenever I do a load of laundry.
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    I just wet my fingers under water and rub it on the contacts before putting it on.
  • Reckabek
    Options
    So wet the metal snaps on the strap? Or just the back of that? Thats plastic?
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I believe its the mesh-looking pads that need to be wet before using the HRM. On the side opposite the snaps, there are two areas just to the left and right of the snaps that are sort of grey-ish. Those are what I wet, and it has worked like a charm. Just be sure to either use warm water or use your hands to warm up the pads before putting the strap on, otherwise YIKES! Coooold spot!

I use water (sometimes tipping my water bottle to get a few drops and spreading it out), and I rinse daily and wash weekly as others have mentioned.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    So wet the metal snaps on the strap? Or just the back of that? Thats plastic?

The snaps that the sensor snaps onto. I wet mine every day before working out and wash it once a week.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Why would you be afraid to wet it :huh: If your sweating you should be getting it wet anyway :happy: I do wet mine because you are apparently it helps the "connection" or some scientific stuff like that. I've had mine not work before UNTIL I wet it. My actual HRM is actually water proof and can be used up to so many meters of water for swimming :flowerforyou:
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    hook the transmitter on the strap and wet the back of the strap that goes against your chest directly on the opposite side of the transmitter. Wash THE STRAP every 3rd workout in the washing machine.
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If I don't wet the mesh area before I use it mine will not give me any reading.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    not the metal snaps...the part that touches your skin....
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4, I wet both pieces with no problem, I also swim with it as it's rated for swimming and have had no problems. It is rated for water use. I guess it depends on which one you have.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I wet the electrodes on the chest strap before I use it every time. I just put some water in my fingers & rub it on there before I snap the transmitter part on . It's necessary for an accurate reading. I throw it in the washing machine once a week.. I've had it for about 6 months & haven't had any problems with it.
  • tpot74
    tpot74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I don't wet the mesh area before I use it mine will not give me any reading.

Same for me! Had it happen to me this week because I had the strap on already from an earlier workout, I didn't think to take it off and re wet it; I had no reading until I did.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 and I swim with mine!

D
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    yes i have a polar, yes i wash it every time, no i dont always wet it before i start it - its not long before its dripping with sweat! i also wear it swimming.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wet mine every time, rinse it off after and wash it once a week. I don't put it in the dryer though, I just hang it up to dry.