days off diet

Options
I work 5 days a week and have 2 days off, I exercise everyday but my days off work are usually the only 2 days a week when I eat whatever and how much I want. I still exercise but I eat different things, like bread, cheese, red meat, ice cream... Basically food that I don't usually eat the other days of the week. This way I don't suffer 'too much' during my work days. I know that maybe it's not the best thing to do, but it kinda work for me. I still lose weight every week even if I eat like a pig in those two days.
Although i think that my stomach is getting used to the portions that I eat during work days and so on my days off work I don't feel like eating that much more than usual, which is good. I don't get those cravings that I used to have in the beginning.
Does anyone knows what I'm talking about? Does any of you guys give yourself days off diet like I do?
Please share with me if you do :)

Replies

• 189andFalling
    189andFalling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So long as you are exercising, losing fat mass, and are seeing this as a long term thing then my view is do whatever works for you :). Life is for enjoying after all! Personally when I'm at my target fat mass then my exercise will allow me to enjoy a few higher calorie things!
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    salmonlover...I do something similar, in that on weekends I eat less healthy, but like you said, my portions are a lot smaller. That isnt really by design but rather my stomach and body are used to a lot of smaller portions so I feel full after less food. I think at least for me the moderate portion sizes helps offset the fact I am not eating healthy foods. Either way it still seems to be working. For me it is the weekend nights that I go out and have a few cocktails...one damn bourbon and Ive just added almost 70 calories...multiply that by saturday night and my calorie intake is off the charts!
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. M-F strict diet with workouts. Weekend, Time for pizza, burgers, and beer. I still work out but I enjoy the extra food. I also eat smaller portions than I used to because of the smaller portions during the week. I usualy eat less Calories during the week so that I have that option to eat the extras on the weekend. For me that means I eat around 1300 and don't eat back my workout calories. Those are for my pizza. =)
  • Lynnie373
    Lynnie373 Posts: 11
    Options
    If that what works for you then do it! I work out everyday as well and I also cheat on weekends. It makes me feel like I am not depriving myself of anything and then I don't gorge when I do eat unhealthy.
  • meredith762
    meredith762 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried to have a cheat weekend. But I always end up snacking all day and then I do a bunch of damage and end up gaining back 1 of the 3 pounds I might have lost that week. But if it works for you and your body I say go for it! All men are not created equal. Not when you count genetics and hormones into the factor. I am going to try just giving myself a cheat meal on the weekend and see if that helps a little more. I am also going to add aloe vera juice to my diet daily to help undo all the damage I might have done to my digestive system during the week.
    This will at least give me a little bit of cushion without letting me go crazy. I tried doing cheat days in the past and it just gives me "permission" to cheat during the week too in my mind. I always end up eating some bread with my low carb dinner or something like that. So i have to go all or nothing and just reward myself once a week with something sinful. It's my only way to cope until I hit that target goal!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I give myself cheat days as well but I find I can't really eat as much as I used to now which is good --- so it's like i get to eat something I crave like a cheddar burger but I can never finish it. I also lost my taste for french fries -- i had 3 the other day and was like eh whatever....It's amazing how the mind works.

If those spike days are working for you then keep at it!
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lets themselves eat whatever they want on zumba days, three days a week, and he's still lost weight at a steady rate.

It's not unheard of to take one or two days of a week and still do well. I say, do what keeps you sane. For me, I have to eat something small and junky every day. I'm sure I have some days where I eat well all day, but I don't deny myself cravings, I just work with them.

Feeling trapped will not make you successful, I have found. :smile:
  • hoileh10
    hoileh10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this as well! I'm new to the site so i think just tracking every crappy thing I eat on the weekends is at least making me aware of it so I can make better decisions (hopefully) in the future. I weigh myself today so we will see if I've still lost from my workouts all week or if the weekend killed my diet.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I think whatever it is has to be sustainable. Some people can give up chocolate forever, and never look back. Me? If I dont get some thing yummy and sweet at some point in the day, I get incredibly cranky. So I eat those 90 cal fiber one brownies. If it works for you, then you should keep at it guilt free!