Cooking for One

Options
moiramab
moiramab Posts: 26 Member
So I've noticed a big reason I fall off track and start eating more junk/fast food is because I'm lazy and don't get myself to a grocery store often enough to keep all the good fresh foods stocked at my place. I love love love all different types of fruits and veggies, and recently found out I'm not as uncoordinated as I thought in a kitchen, but what I *am* is only one person, so perishables tend to, well, perish, and that makes them expensive!

Anybody else cooking for one successfully? Any tips or good "life expectancy" knowledge to share? Or do I just need to invest in tupperware and my freezer? :)

Replies

• Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I understand your dilema. When I was single I was the same way. Why cook when I can hit Wendy's chili for a buck? I tried to get tons of frozen veggies. Kroger is my favorite place for this. You can put frozen broccoli in a microwave safe dish with 3 tsp of water for 7 minutes & it comes out perfect. It's basically the same thing & cheaper than Steamfresh brand.
  • T2trinco
    T2trinco Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I get you! What I do is cook in bulk and them I have portion ready leftovers in tupperware containers the rest of the week. Quick in a pinch too! I have also learned to cut recipes as well. And if I just make too much I either share it with my sister or bf (they're my cooking guinea pigs!) Or freeze it for later.
  • garbudebb
    Options
    hi

I live alone aswell. I thought it would be hard cooking proper meals just for me but I love cooking so much I am enjoying standing in my kitchen making fresh meals. My thing at the beginning of the diet was the cost as I live on a very tight budget (like most people nowadays), I was cooking fresh, low fat dishes from my receipe book but I have had to stop doing that every night due to the cost of the ingrediants.

I have plenty of frozen vegetable and fruit in the freezer that I just cook as and when. I also but a lot of vegetarian frozen food, that can be easily cooked, as I have found that veggie foods are lower in calories, Vegetable Farmhouse Pies by Linda McCartney are lovely and only 350 calories each (depends on what country you are in)

P.s feel free to add me
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Anybody else cooking for one successfully? Any tips or good "life expectancy" knowledge to share? Or do I just need to invest in tupperware and my freezer? :)

That is exactly what you neeed to do!! I cook for myself only and throw out very little this way. As most recipes will cook for 4 servings I make a meal eat it that night and for lunch the next day and then freeze the other two meals
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    buy frozen veggies