JUNE STARTERS~ What's your workout?...

Options
kandyjo
kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
Hey, Starters...
I'm curious as to what type of workout you guys are doing... Let's share what we are doing and maybe some pointers here and there. This is such a huge factor to our weight loss and becoming healthy. We definitely want to make sure we are getting a good workout in...
So, I will start....
Here is what I have been doing...
30 Day Shred (love it) Hip Hop Abs, and a resistance band workout video. I also try to squeeze in a 2 to 3 mile walk in every now and then.
I work out every day except for Saturday and Sunday....didn't really plan it that way...its just those days are so busy that I don't get in a set workout...
Right now, I have been sticking with 30 Day Shred. Today will be my day 5 level 1. So, I have been doing that for 5 days... I have to say that it just about killed me the first day, but yesterday, day 4 was much easier...my endurance is definitely getting better which means i'm getting stronger :drinker:
Ok, whose next?.....

Replies

• schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    Options
    I'm doing the couch to 5k program (I just did week 3, day 2 this morning) on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings. On non-C25K mornings I switch it up between 30 day shred, going to the gym and EA active. I've also tried to remember to do some ab workouts every evening, but normally by the time I remember I'm about to go to sleep :blushing: I've also been looking into Turbo Jam, but I don't think I can swing the $$ right now.

So far so good! The next week and a half will be tough for me though, I'm going home to visit my folks in New Brunswick so there will be much eating out and junk in the house. I'm hoping to at least do my couch to 5k workouts while I'm home!
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I'm doing the couch to 5k program (I just did week 3, day 2 this morning) on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings. On non-C25K mornings I switch it up between 30 day shred, going to the gym and EA active. I've also tried to remember to do some ab workouts every evening, but normally by the time I remember I'm about to go to sleep :blushing: I've also been looking into Turbo Jam, but I don't think I can swing the $$ right now.

So far so good! The next week and a half will be tough for me though, I'm going home to visit my folks in New Brunswick so there will be much eating out and junk in the house. I'm hoping to at least do my couch to 5k workouts while I'm home!

Awesome... What exactly is the C25K? I have heard it mentioned several times.... I mean, I get that you are working toward doing a 5K, but what exactly are the workouts like?

I know how hard it is to keep healthy at the parents :laugh: :laugh: WAY back in the day, I will do awesome at college, then come home to visit and gain 5 lbs :laugh:
    You can do it, though...just stay focused!! :drinker:
  • jonathanmcurry
    Options
    i've been doing strength training for a while and seen improvements but i really want to shed some flab but really hate doing cardio.

i started swimming again yesterday. haven't really done that since high school. it's a 1000 yd workout that i can't really complete now. i'm going to try and swim 3 days a week and i'm going to be joining my gf in some cardio classes during the week as well. there's a core resistance training class and a kickboxing class that i think i'll be joining her in starting next week.
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    Options
    Hehe thanks! I will try my best to stay focused! As long as I don't gain, I'll be happy!

As for the C25K program, it eases you into running. So at the start they have you do short intervals of running and walking (first week is 60 seconds running/90 seconds walking) and then they build up the time you spend running and slowly cut back on the rest walking time, until eventually 9 weeks later (more if you repeat a week which is completely ok!) you can run 3 miles (about 5K). There's a 5 minute warm up and cool down, and about 20-30 minutes depending on the week of intervals/running. So the whole thing is pretty short, and I can normally easily burn more than 300cal in a half hour with it. You can download podcasts (will work on any mp3 player I think) that tell you when to switch between running and walking that I find super useful!!

C25K website: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    C25K podcasts: www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/rss.xml

It's tough, but I really want to be able to run again! :smile:
  • coolviolet73
    Options
    Nice to see that I'm not the only one that started in June---hooray!

My workout routine goes something like this: six days a week, I go to the gym. I do between 30-60 minutes of cardio via the elliptical trainer or the arc trainer (which is my new passion, lol) while varying intensity and incline to keep my body working. I also do a strength training program at the gym and alternate between lower and upper body each day that I work out. Aside from that, I also do EA Active on the Wii five times a week as well. I try to stagger my workouts so that I don't work the same muscle groups each day, but sometimes there is overlap. I must be doing something right, 'cause I've dropped 12 pounds in a month while eating all of the calories that I'm supposed to eat. MFP is super helpful too. For three months before I started MFP, I wrote everything down on paper. And while I lost nearly 30 pounds that way, this is sooooooooo much easier in terms of keeping track of what I do plus getting encouragement from others (and giving it back ;-)).

I'm curious what other people do as well. It's interesting to read your posts :-).

Peace,

Jen

225013.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Hey, Starters...
    I'm curious as to what type of workout you guys are doing... Let's share what we are doing and maybe some pointers here and there. This is such a huge factor to our weight loss and becoming healthy. We definitely want to make sure we are getting a good workout in...
    So, I will start....
    30 Day Shred (love it) Hip Hop Abs, and a resistance band workout video. I also try to squeeze in a 2 to 3 mile walk in every now and then.
    I work out every day except for Saturday and Sunday....didn't really plan it that way...its just those days are so busy that I don't get in a set workout...
    Right now, I have been sticking with 30 Day Shred. Today will be my day 5 level 1. So, I have been doing that for 5 days... I have to say that it just about killed me the first day, but yesterday, day 4 was much easier...my endurance is definitely getting better which means i'm getting stronger :drinker:
    Ok, whose next?.....
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I don't really have anything set in stone as far as a workout schedule ... I just do something to make me sweat pretty much every day. My favourite is hiking through the woods, but I also do Turbo Jam, Wii Fit, Bicycling, Dance Revolution, regular old walking, and my friend and I are going to try to learn new things too. Anything that is fun to me is what I want to try. We've signed up to learn how to drive a segway in Toronto and we're going to go tubing in the Elora gorge in a couple of weeks and then there will be the walking in the clouds and zip lining. Life is way too short not to enjoy every second of it. :happy:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this workout for about a month and a half and it has really worked for me! I have been kind of slacking though because I'm helping my mom remodel her house...I figure that has to count for something though. I get on the elliptical and use the fat burning program for 45-60 mins. Here recently I have then been getting on the treadmil and walking for 5 mins then running a mile at 5.5 mph. Then I do a cool down walk for 5-7 mins. Some days I like to work in some strength training. I just use various machines around the gym. I look at what muscle groups each machine targets so I try to hit all the major muscle groups.

Since I moved home for the summer I have been taking my dog on walks around campus for 30-45 mins. It's a great way to relax and just jam to some music. I was thinking about getting a DVD when I went back to school. Any of you have any suggestions for one that's not too expensive and doesn't require a lot of workout equipment? I know 30 day shred is a biggie...where can I get it?
  • kandyjo
    Options
    i've been doing strength training for a while and seen improvements but i really want to shed some flab but really hate doing cardio.

i started swimming again yesterday. haven't really done that since high school. it's a 1000 yd workout that i can't really complete now. i'm going to try and swim 3 days a week and i'm going to be joining my gf in some cardio classes during the week as well. there's a core resistance training class and a kickboxing class that i think i'll be joining her in starting next week.

Awesome!!!
    You really need cardio!! So congrats on incorporating it into your workout!! :drinker:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Hehe thanks! I will try my best to stay focused! As long as I don't gain, I'll be happy!

As for the C25K program, it eases you into running. So at the start they have you do short intervals of running and walking (first week is 60 seconds running/90 seconds walking) and then they build up the time you spend running and slowly cut back on the rest walking time, until eventually 9 weeks later (more if you repeat a week which is completely ok!) you can run 3 miles (about 5K). There's a 5 minute warm up and cool down, and about 20-30 minutes depending on the week of intervals/running. So the whole thing is pretty short, and I can normally easily burn more than 300cal in a half hour with it. You can download podcasts (will work on any mp3 player I think) that tell you when to switch between running and walking that I find super useful!!

C25K website: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    C25K podcasts: www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/rss.xml

It's tough, but I really want to be able to run again! :smile:

Awesomeness!!!! Thanks for the info!!! :heart:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Nice to see that I'm not the only one that started in June---hooray!

My workout routine goes something like this: six days a week, I go to the gym. I do between 30-60 minutes of cardio via the elliptical trainer or the arc trainer (which is my new passion, lol) while varying intensity and incline to keep my body working. I also do a strength training program at the gym and alternate between lower and upper body each day that I work out. Aside from that, I also do EA Active on the Wii five times a week as well. I try to stagger my workouts so that I don't work the same muscle groups each day, but sometimes there is overlap. I must be doing something right, 'cause I've dropped 12 pounds in a month while eating all of the calories that I'm supposed to eat. MFP is super helpful too. For three months before I started MFP, I wrote everything down on paper. And while I lost nearly 30 pounds that way, this is sooooooooo much easier in terms of keeping track of what I do plus getting encouragement from others (and giving it back ;-)).

I'm curious what other people do as well. It's interesting to read your posts :-).

Peace,

Jen

225013.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Hey, Starters...
    So, I will start....
    Ok, whose next?.....

Awesome!!! Congrats on your loss so far!!! :drinker:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I don't really have anything set in stone as far as a workout schedule ... I just do something to make me sweat pretty much every day. My favourite is hiking through the woods, but I also do Turbo Jam, Wii Fit, Bicycling, Dance Revolution, regular old walking, and my friend and I are going to try to learn new things too. Anything that is fun to me is what I want to try. We've signed up to learn how to drive a segway in Toronto and we're going to go tubing in the Elora gorge in a couple of weeks and then there will be the walking in the clouds and zip lining. Life is way too short not to enjoy every second of it. :happy:

ROCK ON!!! :drinker:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I have been doing this workout for about a month and a half and it has really worked for me! I have been kind of slacking though because I'm helping my mom remodel her house...I figure that has to count for something though. I get on the elliptical and use the fat burning program for 45-60 mins. Here recently I have then been getting on the treadmil and walking for 5 mins then running a mile at 5.5 mph. Then I do a cool down walk for 5-7 mins. Some days I like to work in some strength training. I just use various machines around the gym. I look at what muscle groups each machine targets so I try to hit all the major muscle groups.

Since I moved home for the summer I have been taking my dog on walks around campus for 30-45 mins. It's a great way to relax and just jam to some music. I was thinking about getting a DVD when I went back to school. Any of you have any suggestions for one that's not too expensive and doesn't require a lot of workout equipment? I know 30 day shred is a biggie...where can I get it?

I acutally bought 30 Day Shred off of ebay and only paid $7.30 + s/h for it....
    You can get it at Target....Amazon.com....Walmart.... most places have it....
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    I do weight lifting 3 times, 3 x 1 hour zumba, 1 hout hop. If I have more time, I do HIIT on rowing for 25 minutes up to 2 times a week. This week I cut down exercise time except for weight lifting since I did not lose weight for 2 weeks. ....
  • jenaranda
    jenaranda Posts: 32
    Options
    I go to a step aerobics class every Tues and Thursday. In this class we work with the steps and weights, he also has us focus on abs and legs. It is awesome :bigsmile: , yesterday was really tough he had us workout outside in the sun. I also have been doing this squat, push up, and sit up program everyday.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym Mon/Thu/Sat and occasionally, I'll slide in there on Wednesday for a fast cardio workout. I usually take a long walk with my 4yr old on days I don't go to the gym.

I have a very specific routine, alternating upper body and lower body strength training. I spend 5 mins stretching, 20 minutes with weights, and then 20-25 mins of cardio (stationary cycle). Each week, I increase some aspect of the workout to make it more difficult - either use heavier weights, do more reps, increase the difficulty level on the cycle or go further in the same time period.
  • kandyjo
    Options
    THanks, JUNE STARTERS, for sharing your workouts! I actually got a lot of great idea!!

ALSO.... If you have not yet posted your July picture for our photo journal, please do that!!! It will be a fabulous way to see month by month the changes in our bodies...

Here is the link....I didn't start the thread, so its not titled the way I would have titled it, but here it is :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/58619-june-starters-before-pic-and-july-1st-picture
  • Meags23
    Meags23 Posts: 98
    Options
    I've been doing Turbo Jam and walking as much as possible. But then I was looking into getting a gym membership to use the elipticals... but I'm kinda interested in the couch to 5k deal and my boyfriend loves running so I think tonight is the night we try our first run together. He actually ran in the Human Race (10k) in Seoul when we were there and I just couldn't do it... bad knees... but I think that running maybe what I need right now to start losing some serious weight.

Does anyone else have trouble with their knees and are trying to run/are running? Any suggestions on to how to deal with it? Does it get easier the more you run?
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I've been doing Turbo Jam and walking as much as possible. But then I was looking into getting a gym membership to use the elipticals... but I'm kinda interested in the couch to 5k deal and my boyfriend loves running so I think tonight is the night we try our first run together. He actually ran in the Human Race (10k) in Seoul when we were there and I just couldn't do it... bad knees... but I think that running maybe what I need right now to start losing some serious weight.

Does anyone else have trouble with their knees and are trying to run/are running? Any suggestions on to how to deal with it? Does it get easier the more you run?

Awesome about being in Seoul.... I lived near there in 2002-2003'ish :happy:
    Hubby was stationed at Osan AFB:wink:
    I have also gotten interested in the C25K thing..... AND a couple of friends want for us all to go down and start at our hospitals new gym....really cheap membership :drinker:
    So, awesome that we are looking at some of the same options... I think its helpful to see what others are doing and what is working for them. Variety is the key!! :flowerforyou:
  • Meags23
    Meags23 Posts: 98
    Options
    Awesome about being in Seoul.... I lived near there in 2002-2003'ish :happy:
    Hubby was stationed at Osan AFB:wink:
    I have also gotten interested in the C25K thing..... AND a couple of friends want for us all to go down and start at our hospitals new gym....really cheap membership :drinker:
    So, awesome that we are looking at some of the same options... I think its helpful to see what others are doing and what is working for them. Variety is the key!! :flowerforyou:

Oh no kidding! We lived up in the north of Seoul, Nowon area. My boyfriend and I taught English there last year. It was a real blast! We met a lot of US boys while we were in Itaewon... fun times!
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    THanks, JUNE STARTERS, for sharing your workouts! I actually got a lot of great idea!!

ALSO.... If you have not yet posted your July picture for our photo journal, please do that!!! It will be a fabulous way to see month by month the changes in our bodies...

Here is the link....I didn't start the thread, so its not titled the way I would have titled it, but here it is :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/58619-june-starters-before-pic-and-july-1st-picture

About posting pictures ... I don't mean to be a poor sport but I don't think I'm quite ready to share pictures yet. Maybe in a few months. It's not the weight thing ... it's the camera shy thing. I hate cameras ... well when they're facing me. I love taking pictures, I just don't like being in them. I hope you all understand.:blushing: