Know of any good low cal breakfast foods??

Options
2»

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal has too many carbs.

I need carbs for exercise. Oatmeal certainly wins for me!

If you don't like the consistentsy of them you can try soaking them in milk/water overnight, this will really soften them and make them creamy when you cook them the next day?
    Omelettes are great for being high protein and therefore filling - however, I find the goodness and the taste is in the yolk! You can have a two egg omellette with a generous 200g mushroom content for under 200 cals using spray cooking oil. x
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just tried for the first time this morning, Kashi go lean crunch. Honey almond flax. Very good. Says as much protein as an egg.
    9 grams of protein per serving. 8 grams of fiber. Works for me.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well, what do you LIKE and how much time do you have in the mornings? Lots of time I'm running out the door with peanut butter on whole wheat bread with a piece of fruit for when I get to work. On weekends I do an omelet. The past few days I've been having Advocare Meal Replacement Shakes. I just stay away from empty calories...otherwise eat what you LIKE.
  • MeowserKitty
    Options

This is ridiculous. Oatmeal is wonderful, especially if it isn't instant.
    See my picture, I eat like two servings of oatmeal a day, hasn't screwed me up.
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sunrise tofu desserts (90 cal/portion - flavours such as banana, custard, coconut, almond), with cut up fruits or berries. Love it!
  • fortydaysrain
    fortydaysrain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to always eat 1/2c Kashi Go Lean, goat cheese crumbles, and 1/2c blueberries. Filling and it was so good. This way I got some fruit and tons of protein in every morning.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options

It does have a lot of carbs, but I lost the majority of my weight (100+ pounds) eating weight controll oatmeal and healthy cereal every morning, and even for dinners a lot of nights. Everyone is different.
  • richardaness
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of many breakfast foods so just eat something that you like...turkey on whole wheat, brown rice and ground chicken, veggies and hummus all have been on my breakfast table. Just a thought...
  • SuperSkinnyE
    Options
    Fruit!!!
  • busey
    busey Posts: 39 Member
    Options

You have to remember that oatmeal is a carb that takes a lot of work for your body to digest, that means that it sticks around longer in your stomach which is why you feel full, also don't forget that when your body has to work harder at digesting your food it is actually burning calories. Thats why this it's so popular.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just tried for the first time this morning, Kashi go lean crunch. Honey almond flax. Very good. Says as much protein as an egg.
    9 grams of protein per serving. 8 grams of fiber. Works for me.

Kashi Go Lean is great sprinkled on yogurt too! Nice & crunchy. Use Greek yogurt for even more protein.

Oatmeal made with powdered peanut butter (or protein powder) is very filling. Re: texture. Instant "quick oats" are super mushy (blech!). Instant "rolled" oats are less mushy. Because "rolled" are pre-cooked ........ you can add milk the night before & eat cold the next morning.

If you go with "steel cut" oats ..... the texture is great (almost chewy)! If you don't want to buy an entire box of steel cut oats, these come in individual containers in the freezer aisle. These might suprise you.
  • jandk09
    jandk09 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    wow great suggestions, thanks everyone, now i have tons of things to try :))
  • loriamcq
    loriamcq Posts: 64
    Options
    My new favorite is lite yogurt with fresh berries (i vary the type of berry), 2 tbs of granola and a tbs of lite whipped cream. It ends up being right around 170 calories. Keeps me going until lunch. Sometimes I just do yogurt with fruit if I'm in a hurry, doesnt keep me satisfied quite as long, but thats only 80 calories.