100% Whole Grain Bread?????

Options
Hello Everyone,

I have been hearing that the best bread to eat is the whole grain bread, but it has to say 100% whole grain on the package, I dont find any that says that , however I do find one that says 7 Grains or just whole grain plain. For example, is the Peperidge Farm bread a good source of whole grains. Can anyone recommend any brand? Could whole wheat be another good choice?

Thank you very much and have a great afternoon!!!

(3rd day since i joined MFP!! You guys are great!:heart: )

Replies

• hayomar1995
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I have been hearing that the best bread to eat is the whole grain bread, but it has to say 100% whole grain on the package, I dont find any that says that , however I do find one that says 7 Grains or just whole grain plain. For example, is the Peperidge Farm bread a good source of whole grains. Can anyone recommend any brand? Could whole wheat be another good choice?

Thank you very much and have a great afternoon!!!

(3rd day since i joined MFP!! You guys are great!:heart: )
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    my new favorite bread is Sara Lee 45 calories and Delightful! I'm not sure where it stands on the "whole wheat" spectrum, but it's labled as whole wheat (if i remember right) and only 45 calories/slice. for someone who eats a lot of sandwiches or toast, it's perfect!
  • K.Ann
    K.Ann Posts: 37
    Options
    I only buy bread that either says 100% whole wheat or the first ingredient listed is whole wheat.
  • squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think that Nature's Own makes a 100% Whole Wheat bread that tastes pretty good. Whole wheat is heart healthy, so that's why I try to eat it most of the time.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between whole grain and whole wheat. I know there are lots of whole wheat breads. But I've gone with 7 grain and just whole grain without the 100% in the past cuz I have problems finding them as well. Try a store that has a lot of healthy/organic foods, you're likely to have better luck there. Also try peta bread. It's great!

:heart: Kels
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I buy Sara Lee 100% multi Grain Bread that is 120 cal a slice so I usually make half a sandwich, I also buy the whole wheat bread 45 calories per slice, What I like about the 100 % multi grain is it's texture even though I only make a half sandwich it takes awhile to chew and is filling.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I think that Nature's Own makes a 100% Whole Wheat bread that tastes pretty good. Whole wheat is heart healthy, so that's why I try to eat it most of the time.

this is the only bread that I buy ( or 100% double fiber) and if you look, only 50 calories a slice!!!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you want whole GRAIN, instead of whole WHEAT. It's better for you. In anything, look for grain instead of wheat.Wonder makes a great whole grain bread. They also have a new Honey Wheat Whole Grain one that's yummy!
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You want whole grain over whole wheat. .Try to choose items with at least 3 grams of dietary fiber per serving. In a comparison of whole gain vs. whole wheat, a nutritionist recommends, "..eating whole grains because they're a great source of important nutrients, including protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and, especially, carbohydrates that are low on the glycemic index (GI), a ranking of carbohydrate foods on the basis of how they affect blood sugar (glucose)."

According to this WebMD article:

"Whole grains haven't had their bran and germ removed by milling, making them better sources of fiber — the part of plant-based foods that your body doesn't digest. Among many health benefits, a high-fiber diet also tends to make a meal feel more filling and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time."

"Refined grains, such as white rice or white flour, have both the bran and germ removed from the grain. Although vitamins and minerals are added back into refined grains after the milling process, they still don't have as many nutrients as whole grains do, and they don't provide as much fiber."

Reference:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whole-grains/NU00204/UPDATEAPP=0

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0911askweil0911.html
  • hayomar1995
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!!

I will start doing my search tomorrow!! Thanks for your support.
    Have a wonderful night!!