PLEASE... read my food diary any advice is welcome!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How did you get the 1700 calorie goal? Does that include exercise? There are many variables, but you actually may need to lower your calories a bit.
    That is what MFP gave me.. I tried 1500 and was Starving and VERY irritable ALL the time....
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    How did you get the 1700 calorie goal? Does that include exercise? There are many variables, but you actually may need to lower your calories a bit.
    That is what MFP gave me.. I tried 1500 and was Starving and VERY irritable ALL the time....

It could be that you are eating too much. Hunger isn't always the best indicator of the appropriateness of your deficit. MFP isn't always on the nose when calculating someone's calories. The best way to calculate your deficit is to find out your TDEE/TEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract ~20% from that. Also, with the amount of weight you have to lose, (which actually isn't that much) it's going to come off a lot slower than the first 20 pounds did (congratulations, btw!).

The less you have to lose the more accurate you need to be in logging food --a few minor errors can add up and actually negate your deficit.

Are you weighing/measuring your food? (watch this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY )
    Are you logging everything?
    Are you logging everyday?
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options

It could be that you are eating too much. Hunger isn't always the best indicator of the appropriateness of your deficit. MFP isn't always on the nose when calculating someone's calories. The best way to calculate your deficit is to find out your TDEE/TEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract ~20% from that. Also, with the amount of weight you have to lose, (which actually isn't that much) it's going to come off a lot slower than the first 20 pounds did (congratulations, btw!).

The less you have to lose the more accurate you need to be in logging food --a few minor errors can add up and actually negate your deficit.

Are you weighing/measuring your food? (watch this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY )
    where can I find my TDEE??/ Yes I weigh/measure my food. My logging could use a little improvement.. but I usually only temd to leave out water
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

You know most people over 5'2" should be consuming at least 1600 calories daily.
    Why would she go loser than that unless shes extremely small and not working out at all.

The whole "eating back calories" is BS if you think about it on a day to day basis.
    Lets say you are set to eat 1200 calories, 200 cals below your BMR but thats okay because youll work out to be able to eat more and get above it.....then you blow your tire on the way home.
    You just eat 1200 and call it a day?

Its 100% better to eat healthy first then create a deficit by working out.
    Id rather have too much but still be below TDEE than be screwed because i'm under BMR.
  • carrie_eggo
    Options

You know most people over 5'2" should be consuming at least 1600 calories daily.
    Why would she go loser than that unless shes extremely small and not working out at all.

The whole "eating back calories" is BS if you think about it on a day to day basis.
    Lets say you are set to eat 1200 calories, 200 cals below your BMR but thats okay because youll work out to be able to eat more and get above it.....then you blow your tire on the way home.
    You just eat 1200 and call it a day?

Its 100% better to eat healthy first then create a deficit by working out.
    Id rather have too much but still be below TDEE than be screwed because i'm under BMR.

I didn't say she had to eat below her BMR. I'm sure 1700 calories is a deficit for her, if everything is being calculated properly. It may be too small of one once you take into account human error and a whole host of other variables. Her small deficit could be completely eliminated by inaccurate logging of intake and/or exercise. Also any true fat loss can be masked by water retention. She's not losing at 1700, so I think it's very reasonable for her to try going a little lower.
  • carrie_eggo
    Options

where can I find my TDEE??/ Yes I weigh/measure my food. My logging could use a little improvement.. but I usually only temd to leave out water

The BEST way to determine TDEE/TEE:

*Calculate your body fat % (http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-calculator-navy) or get it tested with calipers or other reliable methods.

*Calculate your lean body mass (http://www.calculatorpro.com/lean-body-mass-calculator/)

*Use this equation to calculate your BMR: BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM in kg)

*To then convert your BMR to a TEE you multiply the BMR from the above equations by an Activity Factor

1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light exercise or sports 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderate exercise or sports 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

SO, once you have your TEE you subtract ~20% from that to create your deficit.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    tinydancer24 wrote:
    ... food scale
    ... HRM

I agree with tinydancer24. A food scale and/or a heart rate monitor.
  • TammyLosesIt
    Options
    Thanks, vzucco! I use an HRM while on the treadmill, but not any other time.:smile:
  • Rosiered2
    Rosiered2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The moment I lowered my sugar totals my weight started falling again.....looking back over my own food diary, when my sugar totals went up (before I really started paying attention to them) then my weight loss stalled....as soon as I dropped the sugar levels down on a consistent basis, the weight went down too.....some people are very sensitive to sugars....just a thought??