Motivation Techniques Needed

Options
Hello Everyone, First off congrats to everyone on here for deciding for a better lifestyle!!!
I've been trying to take the first step for a few weeks now... I find it difficult because I have such a busy lifestyle too;
-work full time
-go to school full time
-and planning my wedding
I know this should make me more motivated to get busy, especially because my wedding is coming closer (Aug 25 2012) but I need some serious motivation.

The thing I find the most difficult is to GET TO THE GYM... When I am there, I am working hard, pushing hard, sweating hard, but its getting there after a long day of everything that kills the motivation.

Anyone have any suggestions for motivating factors or ways to get my *kitten* to the gym???

Replies

• ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a full-time student with a part-time job and is planning a wedding. Her motivator is fitting comfortably in her wedding dress!!

I also work full-time and attend school at night, plus volunteering. My motivator is fitting into my M.O.B. dress!!!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Go RIGHT after work or RIGHT after class. Bring your gym gear and go directly there, just make yourself drive.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Go RIGHT after work or RIGHT after class. Bring your gym gear and go directly there, just make yourself drive.

true statement, i you go home first you'll never leave again :)
  • nuttyflakes
    Options
    it is stress relief time for me... instead of feeding my stress .. i work it off... it makes me feel so much better.. i bring my gym clothes to work and change before i leave... i also meet a freind there and we work out together.. maybe future hubby can meet you at gym and you work out together.... when someone one else holds you accountable or is depending on you .. you will get there
  • Mellowmar98
    Mellowmar98 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree packing your gym stuff and going right after work has helped me. If I would stop at home I am less likely to get back out. Also, find things you like to do for excercise like walking with friends or if you like dancing take a Zumba class. Zumba has become my new obsession.
  • Milletp
    Milletp Posts: 81
    Options
    When you can't get to the gym create your own mini gym. I use ball, jump rope, weighted hula hoop and twist (you stand on it and twist back and forth~pump up the music and work up a sweat)
  • suzechto
    suzechto Posts: 3
    Options
    I’m the opposite. After working all day I just want to be home so I try to wake up early and go before work. Great energy booster plus the added bonus of actually being able to grab coffee or dinner with a friend after work because I already got my workout in is great. For motivation what about rewarding yourself with something new every 5 – 10 lbs lost? I have been putting the money aside that I normally spend on fast food to get a new shirt or fun shade of nail polish etc. Doesn’t have to be a ton of money but makes losing weight all the more rewarding. Good luck! You can do it!!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I look at my gym time or exercise as a "MUST do" each day unless it's rest day. So, it's like laundry or dishes or making the kids lunches or brushing my teeth, it HAS to be done, so I look at my day and decide where it fits, I pack accordingly so I don't have the excuse to not do it and I just GO..... there is no choice, EXERCISE will be done before TV or bedtime....period !!

I guess I treat my exercise now like I treat the kids homework, you WILL do your homework before Facebook or TV or your Nintendo DS, it's not up for negotiation..... :laugh:
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    find something fun to do does your gym do classes?
    I find it very dificult to look forward to going to the gym but I can't wait for pole dancing, aerial silks and hula hooping.

can you build exercise into you com mute? i cycle to work and it makes life so much easier?!

I agree with rveryone if you cant do/ find or afford classes go straight from work or class if i go home the shoes come of and i relax I am then not going to get my *kitten* in gear and leave the house again. I pack lunch and dinner up and head to work and then I have no excuses!
  • RachelGraceReed83
    RachelGraceReed83 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

^^^ this

On the days when I'm dragging and know that I will be tempted to not work out I will go ahead and dress in my workout clothes. Also, when I pay for a membership to a gym or class the motivation for me to go is, if I don't then I'm wasting my money so I better get up off my rump and get to the class/gym!

Hope you can find the motivation you need! :)