Hummus?

Options
So ive never had hummus before. I see alot of people on here eat it with their snacks. So what does it taste like? Are there flavors?

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    It looks like baby poo, but most of the members seem to really like it. (I'm not one of them, but, it wasn't HORRIBLE.) I tried the garlic kind, but they have lots and lots of flavors. :smile:
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    I've been thinking about trying it...not too sure where to find it though or what kind to get, lol! Bumpin this though :happy:
  • BigAnn
    BigAnn Posts: 38
    Options
    It's mushy garbonzo beans. I like it plain and flavored.
  • ecrb77
    ecrb77 Posts: 78
    Options
    Humus is awesome! The roasted red pepper is great. Put it on crackers, carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes! Give it a try- the sabra kinds are my favorite.

237440.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I love it! It does look like baby poo haha, has the texture of mushed up beans, because that's what it is! Well, mashed up chickpeas. Hard to explain the flavor...I'm sure you've had white beans before so imagine that in a paste. It comes in flavors like garlic, roasted red pepper, pine nut, etc. I get pita chips or veggies to dip in it. Tasty!!! Give it a try!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Plus it's good fiber and low cal (provided you don't go nuts on it!). I dip whole wheat pita bread in it...
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    mmm... hummus! I couldn't get through a day without dipping my veggies in it! My fave is the hummus with horseradish from trader joes! Has a little kick to it!:tongue:
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It looks like baby poo, but most of the members seem to really like it. (I'm not one of them, but, it wasn't HORRIBLE.) I tried the garlic kind, but they have lots and lots of flavors. :smile:

Same here. :laugh:
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    there's probably a few dozen threads on here about hummus, its origins, regional differences, and recipes.... search the forum.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I usually get the plain kind then mix a little with my own spices to give it a good flavor. I eat it on whole wheat crackers or veggies. Good source of fiber and protein (I am a vegetarian)
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Sorry froze up and triple posted.
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Sorry froze up and triple posted.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sabra and Athenos are great brands. I like the kind with garlic.

I put it on wasa crackers or slices of red pepper

It's like a dip only a lot healthier

Be brave and open minded and try it and make up your own mind.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Dawnzy
    Dawnzy Posts: 12
    Options
    The Mediterranean stuff from Trader Joes is amazing! It tastes like mashed up garbanzo beans with seasonings and stuff :P it's amazing on whole grain crackers!
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hummus Wild Garden Roasted Red Pepper at Target is HEAVEN! I have it every am with my toast and eggs...mmm.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i buy mine plain and add lemon juice, olive oil, and cumin. you can get at most grocery stores and all arabic stores have them. try looking in the ethnic section or the refrigerated section.

hummus if fantastic as a dip or spread. its low in calories and high in nutritional content. i love it:love:
  • neonatal_icu_rn
    Options
    I loooove roasted red pepper hummus. I like to mix it with diced tomatoes and cucumber and stuff it into a whole wheat pita.
  • totallytasha
    totallytasha Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is funny, because I ran across this thread while thinking, "Hmm, celery is not so good without hummus." It makes the veggies fun!
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it.

I had it today. Used it instead of mayo in my chicken wrap w/ cucumbers and whole wheat tortilla.

I also love it w/ fresh veggies.

I get mine from Trader Joe's
  • jensocalgirl
    Options
    Hummus is mashed up garbonzo beans. Be careful though because if you order it at non-authentic Greek restaurants it can be loaded with sodium. I loved mayo so much and was highly disappointed I had to give it up until I started putting hummus on my sandos! SOOOOOO good.